Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:39 AM

17 posts, read 23,587 times

Advertisements

Hey Kmarc! Funny that I saw your post this morning as I haven't checked the site in a couple of months.

We are doing great in Oak Run! We are in one of the newer sections back by the Royal Oak clubhouse. We LOVE it here, it has far exceeded our expectations, with the lone exception of some minor service issues with Decca Cable. The neighborhood is beautiful, we've made a lot of new friends and we're enjoying a number of organizations and clubs. I'll admit that we do enjoy "professional" concerts at OTOW's Circle Square Cultural Center (Peter Noone was a blast!) but we also have fun with OR's resident theater group, bingo nights, the on-site restaurant that we can walk to, and craft fairs, plus I'm joining the car club here soon. I've also dropped close to 50 lbs so far partly due from the lack of stress!

I've spent the time since we moved in in May remodeling the kitchen and decorating. I have my shop almost completely set up and I'm getting ready to bring in a little hot rod to play with. I love the central location giving easy access to Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Daytona (We're running out there today, in fact). We also are enjoying the quiet when we walk the dogs at night. (When we lived in Houston we were just a couple of blocks away from I-10 and the roar was so loud we couldn't hear a conversation standing next to each other).

Life in Oak Run is fantastic! Just wish I could find a good Chinese restaurant that delivers in here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 07:05 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PairsNPaint View Post
Hey Kmarc! Funny that I saw your post this morning as I haven't checked the site in a couple of months.

We are doing great in Oak Run! We are in one of the newer sections back by the Royal Oak clubhouse. We LOVE it here, it has far exceeded our expectations, with the lone exception of some minor service issues with Decca Cable. The neighborhood is beautiful, we've made a lot of new friends and we're enjoying a number of organizations and clubs. I'll admit that we do enjoy "professional" concerts at OTOW's Circle Square Cultural Center (Peter Noone was a blast!) but we also have fun with OR's resident theater group, bingo nights, the on-site restaurant that we can walk to, and craft fairs, plus I'm joining the car club here soon. I've also dropped close to 50 lbs so far partly due from the lack of stress!

I've spent the time since we moved in in May remodeling the kitchen and decorating. I have my shop almost completely set up and I'm getting ready to bring in a little hot rod to play with. I love the central location giving easy access to Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Daytona (We're running out there today, in fact). We also are enjoying the quiet when we walk the dogs at night. (When we lived in Houston we were just a couple of blocks away from I-10 and the roar was so loud we couldn't hear a conversation standing next to each other).

Life in Oak Run is fantastic! Just wish I could find a good Chinese restaurant that delivers in here!
Pairs! Thanks for posting! I am so glad it has worked out for you. You really did well with that house, and it looks like you've done even better settling in to the community. I can't believe I missed Peter Noone, I'm jealous you got to see him, did he have any of his buddies with him like Mark Lindsay, Mickey Dolenz, Flo and Eddie, etc.?

I have two questions: 1) How are the fees? I've always been a little leery of communities that have "developer fees", on account of the potential for having them raised at the drop of a hat. Also are there any pitfalls to be aware of?

2) Can you tell me about the indoor pool in Oak Run? Is it a lap pool, or a walking pool or a combo of the two? Some lady who lives there said some of the residents who use it are kind of restrictive about when you can swim and at what times, but I imagine there has to be some kind of schedule to keep things on an even keel.

Anyway, that's a great success story. I am really happy for you.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:59 PM

Kmarc -

No, none of the other original Herman's Hermits were there. He's been touring with his current iteration of HH, but I don't know the names. I can tell you that his lead guitarist was jumping around the stage like Mick Jagger and he's 73!!! If you ever get the chance to see him, do it! Besides singing all the great '60's HH hits, he throws in some Beatles, Rolling Stones, Who, Freddie and the Dreamers and more. Plus, all the while he gives you a hilarious stand-up comedy routine!

The fees in OR are reasonable. They do vary slightly with the different neighborhoods and whether you have a maintained lot. Our monthly fee includes once-a-week curbside garbage collection, 24 hour security, basic (20 channel) cable service, use of recreational facilities (all club houses, gyms, and pools, except golf course) for $145. There is also an $11 Road/Drainage assessment. Basic Internet is an additional $35 and if you want digital phone service that's an additional $35 as well (We use Magic Jack so we don't pay for that) High speed internet service is available for $20. No pitfalls that I am aware of. We have an independent landscaper that charges $15 a cut. Our water bills run about $50-$60/mo.

For all that we do, we actually have not used any of the pools (I think there are 5) as yet, so I can't answer. I can tell you that the pool nearest to us (Royal Palm) is very large and I rarely see more than half a dozen swimmers in it. Some of our friends frequent the pool at the Orchid Club regularly and say that it is very popular and active. The indoor pool is at the Aquatic Club, and while we have driven past it, can't vouch for any "cliques" or schedules.

Thanks for your good wishes!

Hal

Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Kmarc -

No, none of the other original Herman's Hermits were there. He's been touring with his current iteration of HH, but I don't know the names. I can tell you that his lead guitarist was jumping around the stage like Mick Jagger and he's 73!!! If you ever get the chance to see him, do it! Besides singing all the great '60's HH hits, he throws in some Beatles, Rolling Stones, Who, Freddie and the Dreamers and more. Plus, all the while he gives you a hilarious stand-up comedy routine!

The fees in OR are reasonable. They do vary slightly with the different neighborhoods and whether you have a maintained lot. Our monthly fee includes once-a-week curbside garbage collection, 24 hour security, basic (20 channel) cable service, use of recreational facilities (all club houses, gyms, and pools, except golf course) for $145. There is also an $11 Road/Drainage assessment. Basic Internet is an additional $35 and if you want digital phone service that's an additional $35 as well (We use Magic Jack so we don't pay for that) High speed internet service is available for $20. No pitfalls that I am aware of. We have an independent landscaper that charges $15 a cut. Our water bills run about $50-$60/mo.

For all that we do, we actually have not used any of the pools (I think there are 5) as yet, so I can't answer. I can tell you that the pool nearest to us (Royal Palm) is very large and I rarely see more than half a dozen swimmers in it. Some of our friends frequent the pool at the Orchid Club regularly and say that it is very popular and active. The indoor pool is at the Aquatic Club, and while we have driven past it, can't vouch for any "cliques" or schedules.

Hal
Pairs, thanks for the info. In fact I was just watching some old HH videos on YouTube this evening, and it's all your fault, LOL. I love Peter Noone, ever since I was a girl, and I'm delighted he left Old Blighty behind and became an American. He belongs here with us. For a long time he did an oldies tour and those name I mentioned, those were some of the guys he toured with: Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders, Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees, Flo & Eddie from The Turtles, etc. The performers changed all the time depending upon who was available, but Noone was always a constant, I think maybe he organized the whole thing. They played everywhere, from state fairs to local festivals, anyone who'd have them. Those videos are great to see. Sort of disorganized, and the back up band not always the best, but everyone was just having fun, horsing around, and Noone is always in the middle of it, playing pranks and cracking jokes, enjoying himself with his pals.

Noone is one of those men who just makes people feel good watching him perform, and he's been that way ever since he was one of the most charming young men ever to take the stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKwSGovRACk

Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 12,293 times
Quote:
Kmarc -

Hal
My wife and I are coming there to check out Oak Run and a few other senior properties. We used to live on the other side of Florida (Palm Harbor) at a time when the process was a bit simpler than it is now. My company moved us to Texas, but, now retired, we're ready to come back, but not to that other side of the state. We've explored all parts of Florida, but decided that Ocala makes the most sense for us. Kmarc was kind enough to share your above info with me. I hope you won't mind if I ask a few questions:

How are their reserves?
Is there talks about increasing the HOA, especially now as the infrastructure is aging?
What is the condition of the roads, pools and public buildings in the development?
Do you know if they have any major projects planned?
Is Oak Run surrounded by a fence or walls?
Has there been much problems with sinkholes?
Is a security system necessary?
Because Oak Run is a bit further south of OTOW and Stone Creek, and now the new family development going in across from Stone Creek, do you anticipate greater impact on your traffic?

BTW, I couldn't help noticing your comments on Peter Noone. For about 10 years after my early retirement (56) from my real job, I found myself involved with music and movie industry folks, mostly early ones. One of them I came to know was Mickey Dolenz. He is just as kooky as he was back in the days, only now he sports a hat holding down his extremely curly hair.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfrmtx View Post
My wife and I are coming there to check out Oak Run and a few other senior properties. We used to live on the other side of Florida (Palm Harbor) at a time when the process was a bit simpler than it is now. My company moved us to Texas, but, now retired, we're ready to come back, but not to that other side of the state. We've explored all parts of Florida, but decided that Ocala makes the most sense for us. Kmarc was kind enough to share your above info with me. I hope you won't mind if I ask a few questions:

How are their reserves?
Is there talks about increasing the HOA, especially now as the infrastructure is aging?
What is the condition of the roads, pools and public buildings in the development?
Do you know if they have any major projects planned?
Is Oak Run surrounded by a fence or walls?
Has there been much problems with sinkholes?
Is a security system necessary?
Because Oak Run is a bit further south of OTOW and Stone Creek, and now the new family development going in across from Stone Creek, do you anticipate greater impact on your traffic?

BTW, I couldn't help noticing your comments on Peter Noone. For about 10 years after my early retirement (56) from my real job, I found myself involved with music and movie industry folks, mostly early ones. One of them I came to know was Mickey Dolenz. He is just as kooky as he was back in the days, only now he sports a hat holding down his extremely curly hair.
Hey, Tom, you might want to private message Pairs. If you do, he'll get a notice in his email so he knows to see the thread and your questions. Otherwise, he may not see your post or even know about it to respond. Also he may wish to answer privately instead of in a public forum.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 12,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Hey, Tom, you might want to private message Pairs. If you do, he'll get a notice in his email so he knows to see the thread and your questions. Otherwise, he may not see your post or even know about it to respond. Also he may wish to answer privately instead of in a public forum.
Thanks. Will do

Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 PM

Honestly, I would suggest you contact the folks at Decca for the answers to your questions.

I just spent a half-hour composing what I thought were witty, creative answers to your post, but when I re-read them, I felt they might come off as snarky. Suffice it to say we are very happy in Oak Run. It has met all our expectations and then some. Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:26 PM

I do know that that the fee at Oak Run is a developer fee or amenity fee, as opposed to a HOA fee. Even though there is a HOA, it is strictly a social organization and not a legal entity for the purposes of collecting fees and maintaining the property. And you get a lot of stuff there for those fees. You own your home, but the developer owns the roads, amenities and common areas.

There are a number of communities that are run this way in the Ocala area and it is always something to be aware of. Oak Run's fees are pretty reasonable, but residents do run the risk that developer rights can always be sold, or the developer can raise fees significantly and there's not much the residents can do about it. Always read the legal documents or have an attorney look them over and let you know what your exposure is.

They seem to do a good job maintaining the infrastructure in Oak Run and have a major maintenance operation that can be seen from the road on highway 484. I've not seen any walls. They do have some fencing. You'd actually have to see the perimeter of the community to understand, a lot of the barriers are due to existing topography and natural flora. But, for example, the parking lot of a local bank backs up to the community in one spot, and you can see some homes through the trees/bushes.

Oak Run has a couple of websites, the social HOA website: ORHA ~ Gateway To Information For Oak Run and the official developer's site: Oak Run Florida, Retire in Style

There was a sinkhole there a few years back. It's up for debate whether it was caused by a water main break or whether the sinkhole formed and caused the water main break. (Chicken and Egg kind of thing). Just be aware that sinkholes can be an issue anywhere in Marion County, some areas more than others.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:39 PM

Yes, what Pairs said, Decca Real Estate (developer's company) can give you all the legal and financial information on the community.

Honestly, I don't know how people sort out all the 55+ community information on their own. Each community has its own way of doing things, different legal structures, etc. That's why I'm glad we have been able to spend some time here and get to know what's what before making the plunge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala