Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:19 AM

25 posts, read 68,117 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. After looking for a move to Florida from Maine for a couple of years it is finally happening!

Originally I planned on SW Florida but I now am looking at the Ocala area since my new job will be in Ocala. I've searched the forum but don't feel I have a firm idea yet of where to look. My income will be decent so I can afford to rent a nice place. I've seen many rentals but since I am not overly familiar with Ocala I am confused as to where to concentrate looking.

I will be moving with my adult (25 year old) daughter who is disabled so I would want a two bedroom home. I would prefer to rent a small house rather than an apartment but would consider both options. Our needs are simple such as a clean place...and not much in amenities but would like a w/d hook up - we have the appliances.

We aren't people looking for night life or anything like that but we do love nature and the ocean. I would like to be as close to the ocean as I can get without a nightmare commute. That means I will have to drive a bit to get to the ocean on days off but again, how far away from Ocala could I go and have a reasonable (1 hour or so) commute to work? I would want to avoid Tampa if possible since my impression of Tampa is that it is very crowded. If I am wrong about Tampa please let me know.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 AM

27 posts, read 103,581 times
I have no idea, have you searched in this forum?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Yes, I have searched this forum - repeatedly. Been searching since 2008 so I could get to know Florida on a more indepth basis than just as a frequent visitor. Unfortunately, I don't see information which leads me to the area between Ocala and the west coast which will not cause a nightmare commute (over 1 hour or 1 and 1/2 hours). I originally had been looking to Fort Myers but I have to go where I have a guaranteed job with a good income so off to Ocala I will go. I don't want to live in Ocala since I know that will be a long ride to the ocean so I am looking for suggestions that will lead me closer to the ocean but not too far from Ocala.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM

819 posts, read 1,744,460 times
Where are you coming from????and the beach is almost a strait shot from there take 40 east and its really a nice ride.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 PM

airboat5...I am coming from Scarborough, ME and although I am a little familiar with Ocala, I hadn't thought I would end up getting a job there. I always thought I would end up nearer Fort Myers which is why this is kind of throwing me a bit. I googled and it seems Yankeetown is an hour and 4 minutes from Ocala - so is the coast doable? I think of Ocala as being way inland.

Any help is appreciated as I start my new job 4/2. Thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 AM

819 posts, read 1,744,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caring1 View Post
airboat5...I am coming from Scarborough, ME and although I am a little familiar with Ocala, I hadn't thought I would end up getting a job there. I always thought I would end up nearer Fort Myers which is why this is kind of throwing me a bit. I googled and it seems Yankeetown is an hour and 4 minutes from Ocala - so is the coast doable? I think of Ocala as being way inland.

Any help is appreciated as I start my new job 4/2. Thanks
yankeetown or ocala? where are you trying to get to? And on the beach I love the east coast beachs and the west coast beachs not so much.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 PM

I will be working in Ocala since that is where my new job is. The problem I am having is to figure out where to live. Ocala is too inland for me as I am used to being minutes from the beach here in Maine. I mentioned Yankeetown only because it was on a google map and driving directions said it was just over an hour to Ocala which would be a doable commute. I am not as familiar with this part of Florida as I had always figured I would end up in SW Fl but I have to go where my new job is.

Why do you prefer east coast beaches - aren't they crowded and more commercial than the west?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 PM

31 posts, read 97,299 times
For my 2 cents, here goes. I moved to Ocala from Fort Lauderdale about 8 months ago. I was used to being 10 minutes from the beach, now, it's about an hour to the Daytona area.

IMHO, the West coast "beaches" are not what I consider beaches- sand, surf, etc. The West coast areas that I've been to thus far have been more natural areas, and are nothing like what I consider a beach, and that's even if you can get close enough to see the ocean. If you take a look at Google Maps, you'll see green areas for the West coast areas such as Cedar Key, Yankeetown, Crystal River, etc, which I believe signify that they are "natural areas", and you are not going to see my version of a beach in those areas.

The ride out 40 to Daytona is not a bad one- a bit relaxing with the forest being there for the most part- and it's a straight shot of about an hour.

If I were to be working in Ocala, my preference would be to live in/near Ocala, and suck it up and drive to the beach. I believe that the cost of living would be lower and there would be less of a commute and the related costs and headaches.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Check out Inverness

Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the input. I will check out both of your suggestions. I am so excited to finally be coming to Florida. Two years of planning and suddenly because of a job, I move in 2 weeks!

Last edited by caring1; 03-15-2010 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala