Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

I wasn't trying to be rude at all. That is very true and I hadn't thought of that and I do apologize.

I should have been more specific.

If you are a fast-food worker in Florida it will be tough due to the high-cost of living.

And I certainly wasn't joking.

And I was also saying that there are more problems in moving to Florida than hurricanes. That is just a chance occurrence. I understand his fear and it is good that he has a healthy fear, but making sure that you have the best possible job before moving is paramount.

And by the way, I've had worse jobs in Florida than working at McDonald's. I know what I'm talking about and trying to help him out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 09:32 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
[quote=jenrein;933825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

Just wondering how many hurricanes actually affect Ocala.

you can google it....

Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 AM

156 posts, read 1,063,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
That's ignorant. You don't even know what that person does at McDonald's. Maybe he or she is a manager, or an executive for the company. And if not, at least he or she is holding down a job and not standing in an unemployment line. You should be ashamed of yourself for making jokes like that at the expense of others.
Making someone feel badly about themselves never makes anyone feel good.
I never even noticed that this was added to the thread. I am a store manager and have been for 5 years. I make about 40,000 a year and run a 2.5 million dollar business. I have been through all the McDonalds management training and during my last class they had executives from other large companies sitting in to learn a thing or two. But hey...

Old 07-11-2007, 03:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Once again, it was not a slam at McDonald's, or working for it. I was telling you to worry less about hurricanes and more about the job market.

It was not a joke and I am not ignorant.

And $40,000 a year is not going to get you far in Florida. I know. I've been in that same situation. In fact, we made a lot more.

You need to go back and read what I wrote to YOU. I am only trying to help.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Once again, it was not a slam at McDonald's, or working for it. I was telling you to worry less about hurricanes and more about the job market.

It was not a joke and I am not ignorant.

And $40,000 a year is not going to get you far in Florida. I know. I've been in that same situation. In fact, we made a lot more.

You need to go back and read what I wrote to YOU. I am only trying to help.
Thanks...I think I would have stayed in NY if I wasnt going to be financially stable. I am married with kids...this wasnt an overnight decision. My company paid for my family to move. The high cost of living?? We pay $200 more a month for the house we are renting now than we did in NY and its 100 times nicer than the house that we had. Anything else in the area is actually CHEAPER than in NY. Gas here is about 20 cents less a gallon. Groceries are about the same. Cable/internet...I am saving $45 a month and our car insurance bill was cut IN HALF. So seriously...everyone on here whining about your high cost of living....give me a break. There is a real world outside of Fl and people are paying high price for everything and anything these days. As a mom of 3 I could choose to be a stay at home mom...but I would rather work to make an additional income.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,264 times
We are hoping to move this Summer/Fall from Washington State to the Ocala area. We need to be on A-1 zoning since I breed and show Golden Retrievers.I need to have a kennel license. I found a place in Dunnellon... Romeo Hills...on the internet. Does anyone know anything about that subdivision. Is it safe... how far away from shopping?? Vets etc. Any hurricanes??? Tornadoes??

Also IF we buy this manufactured home.. what are the insurance rates like?? And how much should we be looking at for an inground pool with a screened cage? We need somewhere for the dogs to exercise in the summer and also cool off! If anyone has a good pool builder let us know...
Private replies are fine. rdc21@msn.com

Thanks
Deb

Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 PM

24 posts, read 98,407 times
My husband and I are considering a move to Gainesville area. After going through Francis, Charlie, Jeanne and Wilma while living here in South Florida, I went looking on the internet for data on the probability of a storm passing through North Central Florida area. You can go on wunderground.com. It actually has a map with all the hurricane tracks plotted on it since 1884. Fascinating!
Compared to South Florida, North Florida gets very few storms and most aren't more than CAT 1. So you can rest easy moving to Ocala

Old 07-15-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkb80 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Gainesville area. After going through Francis, Charlie, Jeanne and Wilma while living here in South Florida, I went looking on the internet for data on the probability of a storm passing through North Central Florida area. You can go on wunderground.com. It actually has a map with all the hurricane tracks plotted on it since 1884. Fascinating!
Compared to South Florida, North Florida gets very few storms and most aren't more than CAT 1. So you can rest easy moving to Ocala
Thank you! I checked out that site but I dont see where it has the maps from previous hurricanes?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrein View Post
Thank you! I checked out that site but I dont see where it has the maps from previous hurricanes?
City database for hurricane landfalls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala