Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 29,411 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I grew up in Ohio way back in the 1960's. My Dad was a physician and for a while we lived on the grounds of Cambridge State Hospital in Cambridge, Ohio. It was like an old army barracks place. There were miles of tunnels linking the buildings.
I would love to find some pictures of the place, old or current, and would also like to know what it is now. Or if it still exists.
Anybody out there from this area? I remember a lot of pretty farmland all around it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 08:10 AM

976 posts, read 3,860,735 times
^ I dont have pictures of Cambridge. But it is a very nice town out in the middle of the hills along I-70 and I-77. It gets a lot of freeway traffic, and the town was very nice. It would be a nice spot to explore for a little bit if i was traveling along the freeway.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 PM

160 posts, read 644,143 times
i believe the old massillon state hospital is still standing??

Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 49,386 times
Yes Massillon is still standing and in working order I do believe, at least part of it. I have a paranormal organization in Ohio and we visit places like you have mentioned as often as possible.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 29,411 times
Massillon is another hospital, but thanks, anyway. Yes, I recall it was a very pretty area around Cambridge. Unfortunately, maybe no one from there reads this board.
With tract homes here in San Diego going for over a million, prices in Ohio certainly are attractive for what one can get. Would love to take a trip back.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 PM

160 posts, read 644,143 times
vanessa i dont think massillon is still operating? i think there trying to decide what to do with the land.theres a new modern smaller facility by it i believe called heartland behavioral center?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 13,624 times
Smile pictures

does anyone have pictures of Massillon State Hospital be sides the ones that i've seen on the E-net. my father was the superindentent in late the 70's, and i haven't been back. the house that the hospital provided us with was very big and very old,
and a bit haunted. at the time we lived there i was 15-18. the worst part of living on the grounds was the school bus coming on the grounds to pick me up and every one on the bus not knowing how to look at me.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 PM

148 posts, read 520,725 times
Here you go Kentucky Girl

http://www.rootsweb.com/~asylums/mas..._oh/index.html

Google it.

Blueforest, if you google it, there is alot on there.

Last edited by angellewis; 09-29-2006 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-02-2006, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 13,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluforest View Post
Hi All,
I grew up in Ohio way back in the 1960's. My Dad was a physician and for a while we lived on the grounds of Cambridge State Hospital in Cambridge, Ohio. It was like an old army barracks place. There were miles of tunnels linking the buildings.
I would love to find some pictures of the place, old or current, and would also like to know what it is now. Or if it still exists.
Anybody out there from this area? I remember a lot of pretty farmland all around it. Thanks.
This may be old, and I don't know if BluForest even posts here anymore, but I'm here to lend a hand.

Not only do I have photos of the Cambridge hospital, I am a former patient there. I was a patient recently, not long ago, so most of my data comes from asking questions while there. And no, I will not be divulging why I was there.

The Army Barracks style units towards the center of the complex still stand, but they've been totally converted from their former use to now hold offices, a library, and other utilitarian uses for the staff and patients. There are a number of the barracks style units now in total disrepair that are not used for anything. I have heard talk that the barracks units that were used to hold German prisoners, the units closest to Old Route 21, are scheduled to be destroyed. Some already have been.

The main administrative building (the two story building near the back of the complex, the one that holds the gym) still stands and is used to this day. Reception is still at the front of the building. So is the security center. Several offices are inside this building, too many to name. There's an Alcoholics Anonymous group that meets on Mondays in this building.

Relatively new (we're talking, within the last 20 years) are the cottages. They're each named for something to do historically with the campus, such as "Fletcher Cottage" is named after the General the original name of the campus was named after. There are four cottages that I know of, but during my time there I heard rumor of another cottage hidden away from the rest for problem patients. I have nothing to substantiate this with but the word of a fellow patient.

From what I understand there were originally 120+ buildings on site. That number has dwindled to maybe 10. Likewise, what you may remember as a facility housing upwards of a thousand patients now only holds perhaps 100.

If you're still here, BluForest, I can provide pics to you best by having you send me a private message. I do not frequent this board at all and this is likely my first and last post here. Sending me a Private Message on this site will send my email address a notification that you've sent one to me and I can then be reminded to visit this site.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 13,585 times
Default State Hospital

Many, many years ago my father was in (I was told) Cambridge State Hospital. I never got to see him until his death. In the late 90's I traveled to Cambridge to find the hospital and to get a copy of his death certificate.
If it was indeed the Cambridge State Hospital, it had a main administration bldg. and the rest of the buildings were like old army barracks, although, I didn't see any tunnels. The buildings standing were similar to the ones used here in Chillicothe as army barracks, called Sherman Camp. I wanted to see his medical records but was told by the staff there that all old medical records that far back were sent to The Ohio Historical Society in Columbus.
I later found out that there was another hospital there similar to State Hospital. I didn't find out where that one was. I don't want to go into why my father was there but I would like to see some old photos of the hospital if anyone has any they could send me via e-mail. It is a very nice hospital and grounds set out in the countryside. Actually, I was very impressed with the city of Cambridge, it is a very pretty city and the people there were very nice. also, does anyone know for certain that the medical records would be at the Historical Society? I have no idea why they would be sent there.
Do all old medical records go there or just ones from this hospital. Since I didn't know my father, I am very interested in finding any information on hiim that I can.
I do my family research (genealogy) and have much info on my mother's side but I am finding it very difficult to get any info on my father. So I would appreciate any info anyone could give me on this state hospital.
Thanks so much.
akelly@roadrunner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio