Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,683 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I will be moving to Meigs Co. Ohio in a few weeks. I am wondering how the schools are there? Any other info you could give me on Meigs as well would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 06:12 PM

52 posts, read 154,390 times
well...I have bad news for you...

Meigs county is KNOWN for bein the county where the most popular marajauna in the united states...several tons are smuggled out of the county to be distributed throught the united states..its also know for its GROWING population of meth labs..the towns are all old stripmine boom towns..and they are all in the last stages of decline. most people that live there commute 1 to 1 1/2hrs to work in either Lancaster or columbus..

from the people I know that live in the area..they are at best BARELY educated to deal with day to day functions and very few ever graduate highschool and even less go off to college..

the area is horribly depressed..and theres not much chance of any saving it..most large maufactures have closed their plants in that area and moved on..

I would look closre to larger towns..

Old 02-28-2007, 01:35 PM

24 posts, read 103,392 times
Try : http://nces.ed.gov/ccd/districtsearch/

Last time I was in Meigs county I had a great time, lots of nice people there. Its very rural, lots of places to roam around in. I wouldn't steriotype a person from Meigs county baised on your personal expirance.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:15 AM

30 posts, read 180,895 times
Default just my opinion

i am a neighbor counties, i am 2 counties over it the upper meigs, you dont want, ohio t is about right, i dont know about the pot business, but i have live in jackson co for 16 yrs and meigs that next to me it all stip mines, i in a stip mine place and most of th kids dont graduate here either much unless you have money to put them thru.the factory job we have aplant call pillsbury that big but it dontpay much unless you a big wig. and we have another factortys some are still on strike over a yr now and we have a compay called merriatt, and they always lay off and if you not well now to get in it hard, i would look up in a bigger town. like i said i dont know much about pomeroy only been thru when i went to south carolina way of traveling. but i know the upper end of meigs stay away i going to try to give you a site you can look at it in pomeroy, i dont know this area but this what meigs came up with, you can search more depth if you knew exactly the school Welcome! Sign In Start Saving Schools

AK AL AR AZ CA CO CT DC DE FL GA HI IA ID IL IN KS KY LA MA MD ME MI MN MO MS MT NC ND NE NH NJ NM NV NY OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VA VT WA WI WV WY
Schools Articles

Home Research & Compare Summer Planning Countdown to College Library Free Newsletters

Print this page | Email to a friend | Add to del.icio.us
School
Overview GreatSchools
Ratings Test
Scores Teachers/
Students Parent
Reviews Principal's
View

Meigs Middle School
Grades: 6-8
Type: public
Enrollment: 453
42353 Charles Chancey Dr
Pomeroy, OH 45769
Meigs County
Phone: (740) 992-3058
District: Meigs Local School District
More about Pomeroy schools Email updates
about this school
Compare this school
Add to My School List
Rate this school
Map

Performance Index

89 (2006)
82 (2005)
82 (2004)
78 (2003)

Source: OH Dept. of Education, 2005-2006
About the Performance Index

Ohio uses the Performance Index to provide an overall indication of how well students perform on its standardized tests each year.
The Performance Index scores are based upon how well each student does on all tested subjects in grades 3 through 8 and 10. Schools and districts earn anywhere from 1.2 points for each student scoring at the advanced level to zero points for each untested student.
The Performance Index ranges between 0 and 120, with 100 as the statewide goal for all students.
More about the Performance Index

Compare with Performance Index scores from nearby schools

Ohio Achievement Test Results

Scale: % at or above proficient

Grade 6

Reading
78% (2006)
The state average for Reading was 84% in 2006.

Math
57% (2006)
The state average for Math was 68% in 2006.

Grade 7

Reading
87% (2006)
The state average for Reading was 79% in 2006.

Math
68% (2006)
57% (2005)
The state average for Math was 63% in 2006.

Grade 8

Reading
79% (2006)
80% (2005)
The state average for Reading was 77% in 2006.

Math
62% (2006)
55% (2005)
The state average for Math was 69% in 2006.

About the Tests

In 2005-2006 Ohio used the Ohio Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math and in grade 4 in writing.
The Ohio Achievement Test is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Ohio.
The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.
More about the tests

Compare with test results from nearby schools

Ohio Achievement Test Results By Subgroup

The test results by subgroup show how the designated group of students is performing in comparison to the general population.

Scale: % at or above proficient

Grade 6
Reading This School
All Students 78%
White 78%
Disadvantaged 77%
Non-disadvantaged 78%
Female 81%
Male 75%
Disabled 42%
Non-disabled 83%
Gifted 92%

Math This School
All Students 57%
White 58%
Disadvantaged 48%
Non-disadvantaged 70%
Female 51%
Male 62%
Disabled 11%
Non-disabled 64%
Gifted 78%

Grade 7
Reading This School
All Students 87%
White 87%
Disadvantaged 81%
Non-disadvantaged 96%
Female 89%
Male 84%
Disabled 44%
Non-disabled 93%
Gifted 98%

Math This School
All Students 68%
White 68%
Disadvantaged 59%
Non-disadvantaged 82%
Female 69%
Male 66%
Disabled 28%
Non-disabled 74%
Gifted 85%

Grade 8
Reading This School
All Students 79%
White 79%
Disadvantaged 74%
Non-disadvantaged 85%
Female 85%
Male 73%
Disabled 54%
Non-disabled 85%
Gifted 95%

Math This School
All Students 62%
White 62%
Disadvantaged 54%
Non-disadvantaged 75%
Female 65%
Male 60%
Disabled 34%
Non-disabled 70%
Gifted 90%

About the Tests

if you ned the web it www.greatschools.net hope you good luck

Old 06-08-2007, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,539 times
Talking To Shari07

Hi Shari, Not sure why people that don't even live here like to give advice about my hometown. Meigs County WAS known for the most popular pot in the area, but in all honestly, it wasn't any different then it being grown near Lancaster, Columbus, Cincinnati or even Cleveland. It was just talked about more because of the population here. Ever heard of the words "in a small town everyone knows everything about everybody"? Well thats about the way it is.

On the subject of driving 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a good paying job is ridiculous. I drive 20 minutes to a very nice position at a fortune 500 company. The schools are so so. They aren't the highest ranking in the state, but you get what you can with the money the state government provides to hire teachers. The teachers try their best, but the parent has to be very involved to make sure the children are learning. The way it should be anyway.

As for people in this area not having an education - I really wish I knew where he got that information. I have a bachelors degree and intending to get my masters. Everyone that I work with have to have a least a 2 year education to be hired.

We ARE growing. We have two major utility companies being built here. The permits are being granted, and the grounds are being surveyed. If you would like to know more, please provide me with your email and I can give you more detailed information. I have lived here for many years, and wouldn't think of moving away. If you like a small town atmosphere. This is the place.

Horribly depressed area - I don't think so! We are not Mayberry, but we still care about our neighbors. I'm not sure where or who he hangs out with, but I think he needs to learn a lot more people from Meigs County before giving that type of advice!

Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,394 times
I agree, I grew up in Meigs county and while pot was grown there, it didn't affect everyone. It's a very nice, friendly area and people are very educated. What a rude post that was. My niece graduated with top honors and got a wonderful scholarship and a fantastic job just a few miles from home. Yes, there are more jobs in the Athens, Gallipolis or Parkersburg area but there are jobs to be had closer if you take the time to look. Don't let one ignorant person influence you! We fully plan to retire there or go back sooner if we are able! I can hardly wait! We currently live in northern Ohio and have lived in VA but there is no place like good old Meigs County. It's looking better every time I visit. Pomeroy buildings have gotten lots of work done on them lately and tourism is growing.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,618 times
I too grew up in meigs county, I have always heard Meigs county is the poorest county in Ohio and always hearing about it being pot capital of the US. Thats absurd, Drugs are everywhere. I went from K-12 in Meigs and took a BOE course in High School and now have my own business. Its a pleasant place to live, everyone knows everyone, I now live in Jackson county, not that I disliked Meigs but my new husbands from Jackson, Funny thing is, my mother still lives in Middleport, I still say down home....) when refering to Meigs, now I must say the traffic has gotten horrible, I guess compared to columbus it's nothing but when you were born and raised in Meigs to compare traffic now compared to 35 years ago its nutty...... enjoy Meigs I am sure you will love it.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioT View Post
well...I have bad news for you...

Meigs county is KNOWN for bein the county where the most popular marajauna in the united states...several tons are smuggled out of the county to be distributed throught the united states..its also know for its GROWING population of meth labs..the towns are all old stripmine boom towns..and they are all in the last stages of decline. most people that live there commute 1 to 1 1/2hrs to work in either Lancaster or columbus..

from the people I know that live in the area..they are at best BARELY educated to deal with day to day functions and very few ever graduate highschool and even less go off to college..

the area is horribly depressed..and theres not much chance of any saving it..most large maufactures have closed their plants in that area and moved on..

I would look closre to larger towns..
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO,

THIS IS SO FALSE. IS THERE NOT PPL IN EVERY TOWN THAT DON'T GRADUATE, WHAT YOU SAID IS ABSOLUTLY WRONG, NOW I WILL ADMIT THE JOBS THERE AREN'T PLENTYFUL BUT THEY ARE THERE IF YOU LOOK, BUT TO SAY WE ARE BARELY EDUCATED IS SUCH CRAP. AND THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,247 times
Default Moving?

Just try it. You never know. I was born and raised in Meigs co and I turned out just fine. Things are what you make it. Some schools are better than others. That too is what you make it. You get what you work for. Sure I grew up knowing some of those who grew the marijuana, big deal. That's NOT what it's all about. It's a community of caring people who help people and almost everyone knows everyone but they're there for ya no matter what. They'll give the shirt off their back to ya. Crime is almost nil. Picnics, parades, concerts, and families. Only reason I had to move was my husbands job or we'd still be there amoungst our families and our church. Everybody is not dumb. Just the people who didn't see what's truly there. I miss home and visit when I can. It's nice when you can leave your door unlocked and feel safe or just sit on your front porch takin it easy and maybe someone drops by to say hey. It's truly away from the hustle and bustle of any big town yet you can drive a bit to either get what you need, or shop or see something new and yet come home and just say ahhh. Don't believe everything you hear.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,552 times
listen meigs county sucks the the water there is bad and it produced the c8 project i was involved so i know. the cops and court system are crooked. ther is nothing there for kids no mall no movie theater no skating rink no bowling alley nothing but drugs. the schools are filed with drugs. most kids dont graduate or start out life with a drug record. my step son and most of his friends tell me on a daily basis these events. ther are no jobs and it is miserable and depressing there. the highest AIDS infested area on the map. remember i warned you. lots of bars and biker gangs, like devils disciples have fun

Last edited by believeme12; 09-18-2011 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio