Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,780 times

Advertisements

I love to explore towns and am thinking about visiting Cortland. Can anybody give me an idea what it's like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM

5,514 posts, read 9,509,738 times
Cortlandgirl should be able to help.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 PM

46 posts, read 93,535 times
Well, Cortland is a very nice, small town just north of Warren. What exactly are you looking to explore?

For starters, you could check out a few of the specialty shops and restaurants in town. Most stores are on High St and on West Main St (downtown Cortland). We don't have too much going on in downtown. However, you can check out the music store, Just Pizzelles (a pretty cool bakery featuring lots of goodies), the men's shop, and a few other specialty stores on Bank St which is off of West Main St.

If it is a nice day and you have the time, I would recommend checking out Mosquito Lake (don't worry, there won't be mosquitos, lol). The state park and marina is just on the other side of town, on the other side of the lake in Bazetta Twp. Plenty of sight seeing to do, especially on some of the trails.

Cortland has their own Community Band, with a lot of members now. They have a website listing where they perform in the area. They are very good!

Although it really isn't considered Cortland, just west and past the state park you will find an entrance to the bike trail which goes many many miles north. You will find a lot of people walking/biking on the trail. Very beautiful and peaceful. Can't remember how many miles it is, but it is long!

That is all I think of at the moment. I would recommend the following links:

City of Cortland > Welcome to Cortland
The Cortland News - Publishing the Good News from the Cortland Ohio Area

I am sure Cortlandgirl could add more to the list of what to do and see!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,780 times
I am most interested in architecture, neighborhoods, and urban streetscapes.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,947,335 times
It's really just a little town (well actually a city) of around 7100 people. It's located on the eastern shore of Mosquito Lake, which is the reservoir for the City of Warren, Howland Twp, and parts of Bazetta Twp. Downtown Cortland is approximately 10 miles northeast of downtown Warren and app. 6 miles north of Howland Center. The city limits are contained to the areas between Rt. 11 and Mosquito Lake. The city is almost entirely surrounded by rural areas except for some suburban type areas of Bazetta Township south of town. There are farms probably within probably a mile of the city's border.

Outside of about 6 blocks downtown most of the town was built after 1970, with a lot of the housing stock being built during the 1980s and 1990s (barf). Most of the old homes are contained to the areas between state routes 5 and 46, also known as High St. and Mecca St. North High St has some nice old homes from the late 1800s and early 1900s. The Methodist Church is from the 1800s and the Opera House (behind the Methodist Church on Park Ave) was built around 1832. One of my favorite streets is Grove St. just south of Main St. There you'll find a few homes from the 1800s, the Cortland Christian Church Cemetery and the Christian Church built in 1853. There's also a cute little shop called Porter Place on the corner of Grove and Bank St.

Most of Cortland is very walkable for the most part and it's very easy to access the businesses on High St and Main St. At the far western end of Main St. is Mosquito Lake, Gessner's Farm,Hillside Cemetery, and http://trumbull.osu.edu/as (broken link) well as a former Delphi Packard Electric plant. The city limits down Main St. to the east lead you to Walnut Run Golf Course Home Page and a newer housing development on the golf course, this part of town borders Rt. 11.

There's so much more I could tell you, but it really is just a small place. If you are looking for some good food be sure to try a Brother's Italian Sub and stop by Just Pizzelles - Largest Selection of Gourmet Pizzelles for some awesome cookies.

City of Cortland > Welcome to Cortland

Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,947,335 times
ZSL you stole my thunder! lol Actually, I've been writing my reply off and on for like 2.5 hours because I keep getting interrupted! Nice job describing the place. I've done a couple Cortland Photo-tours which you can find here:
Cortland, Ohio Photo Tour
Cortland photo tour #2

If you're looking for architecture you definitely check out the Christian Church on Grove St., the home on the corner of 46 (N. Mecca) and Grove, Gressner's farmhouse on the corner of W. Main and 46, the Methodist Church on N. High (Rt 5), the home on the curve going E. on Main St. past Locos Amigos, another couple of homes on E. Main and some of the ones on High St and the streets running between High and the railroad tracks along Erie St. Cortland Elementary (now closed and for sale) sits on the corner of Park and Pearl. The Opera House is a neat building and there are some neat old homes in that area, but like I mentioned before, the old part of Cortland is quite small. Oh yeah, I should also mention the Old Mille which used to operate as a grist mill a century or so ago, there's a neat waterfall under the bridge by the mill on 46.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM

46 posts, read 93,535 times
LOL. I was wondering why you hadn't replied!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio