Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:49 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,936 times

Advertisements

^I really like Tuscarawas County. Very nice scenic area and Dover and New Philadelphia are very nice towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 06:51 PM

148 posts, read 520,837 times
I am a South Side Native now residing in Crafton pa right down the street from South side.

I may miss my old town but I know I won't move back to the city again unless it goes back the way it was. I would have if Bob O'Connor did not pass a way.

i am looking into moving in or around sugarcreek. Not too far to travel twice a week to Jefferson Memorial cemetery to visit my hubby's mom.

Taxes are way out of control here. Why should we have to pay it if the government screwed it up. They should pay it not me.

Good luck finding what you are lookng for.

r2r I went to school in brookline. Know a school called DePaul Institute.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 PM

^Taxes are so bad in Pennsylvania. I hear that from the family all the time lol. O'Connor was a great mayor. He was really starting to move Pittsburgh in the right direction.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 PM

148 posts, read 520,837 times
He was making the city start looking good, but Luke Ravenshal is relly a good man and he is following O'Connors footsteps as well.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:31 AM
r2r r2r started this thread

33 posts, read 137,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angellewis View Post
I am a South Side Native now residing in Crafton pa right down the street from South side.

I may miss my old town but I know I won't move back to the city again unless it goes back the way it was. I would have if Bob O'Connor did not pass a way.

i am looking into moving in or around sugarcreek. Not too far to travel twice a week to Jefferson Memorial cemetery to visit my hubby's mom.

Taxes are way out of control here. Why should we have to pay it if the government screwed it up. They should pay it not me.

Good luck finding what you are lookng for.

r2r I went to school in brookline. Know a school called DePaul Institute.
DePaul Institute for the hearing impaired. Yes I know of it but it is no longer in Brookline. I believe the school was relocated to Shady Side a couple of years ago.

Where at in Crafton? My sister lives there and in another lifetime, I used to deliver mail in Crafton.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:10 PM

^What do you think of Crafton? My favorite Pittsburgh suburb is Dormont. But besides that all the suburbs are going downhill. Esp around Munhall and West Mifflin. Plum, Monroeville and Penn Hills are also doing bad.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
^What do you think of Crafton? My favorite Pittsburgh suburb is Dormont. But besides that all the suburbs are going downhill. Esp around Munhall and West Mifflin. Plum, Monroeville and Penn Hills are also doing bad.
Honestly I think Crafton is a slum. It has some beautiful old homes in it and a few nice neighborhoods tucked away but it is city. Anything within the city is bad.

When working at the post office I thought it sucked and hated being in the area. When I left the PO a very good friend was covering my route until it was filled. He was shot and killed while taking a break in the Crafton Shopping Center. Who shot him? I kid playing around with a gun, random shot fired.

I have worse feelings about Crafton since then.

My sister however just bought a house there on top of the unit she already owns. She likes the area. She doesn't like her kids walking down the street or the trash around the area but she really liked the house. I don't know, selfish in her motives perhaps?

Again, different opinions for different folks, it depends on what you want and what your standards/expectations are.

Dormont used to be fairly nice and a little more upscale than city but now it is the same. I have a good friend that bought her first home there just a couple of years ago. She is thrilled. I've been to her house and it is a lovely old Dormont home. Lovely. But I wouldn't live there. Too city for me.

Munhall and West Mifflin are bad areas now. With the mills closing, the neighborhoods are now either Gods waiting room (old people) or young welfare rats.

Plum, Monroeville and Penn Hills. Well I worked in Plum for awhile and liked the area. A little more spread out than city but starting to get the "city problems". Monroeville used to be upscale but it is too close to Penn Hills. Penn Hills used to be nice, one of my Aunts used to live there. Now it seems to be mostly older folks or welfare.

Again, most of the areas have some nice little neighborhoods tucked in there but the bad far outweighs the good.

I used to live in Baldwin Boro. I liked it for the most part. Not too city. But just before moving they turned a huge apartment complex into low income housing and then all crap hit the fan. Within months, crime and assaults in that complex made national headlines due to the nature of the crimes. Wish I could remember the name of the complex (I'll ask my kids if I remember). Problems in the schools increased 10 fold. My kids came home from middle school talking about massive fights daily...this all the last year they were in Baldwin school district.

Given the choice where would I want to live? Wexford is supposed to be pretty nice still. My Uncle lives there and is happy. Bethel Park is nice. Another Uncle lives there and he's happy. That Uncle is more uptight and anal retentive than I am regarding living areas so thats saying alot! Mt. Lebanon is supposed to be nicer, lots of doctors and lawyers and other professionals but I've heard of some problems in that area too. Scott Township, going down hill but still some nice areas.

I have other family that lives in Greentree. Greentree is starting to go to hell but there is still more nice than not. Greentree, Dormont and Castle Shannon all share the same school district. Don't like what they've done with the HighSchool and wouldn't want my kids there.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 PM

Boy don't I sound like a tough nut to please?

I am and it is my money that pays for the rent/mortgage. I have my standards. With Niagara Falls, I made a bad choice with living area but I did the best I could with what I had. As it is, everyone that been here thinks I have a great house and a great neighborhood. Guess what? I do! But it is still city and I can wave at my neighbor while I'm in my bathroom whiping my butt and she can do the same while doing the same thing. Our little niche of the Falls in nice compared to a block over or a block down. The crap, garbage and trash are closing in on this little niche.

With my move to Wooster, I'll do what I do best. Manage the best that I can. Will everything be "perfect"? Doubt it. But my priorities have to be satisfied. Safe neighborhood with a good school district are number one. I want a house to live in. I've never in my life lived in an apartment. Never. So far my kids have never lived in an apartment. My choice. I want a yard. I want, I want, I want. I tend to pay for what I want, go figure.

I may have found a house in Wooster, I'll be driving down on Saturday to check it out. Is it perfect? Nope. Does it have what I need? Yup. Will I make do and be satisfied? Yup, at least for the time being. Until I'm ready to buy again I'll have to "settle" for what I can find. Once the kids are done with school that throws a whole new dynamic on things and I've only got a few more years to go for that time. Until then, I'll settle for what satisifies the best interests of the kids. A good school that has their interests, a safe neighborhood and a nice home to live in.

FYI, I really am a nice person!

Old 09-28-2006, 07:17 AM

45 posts, read 165,905 times
r2r,

How old are your kids? Middle school aged or younger? Middle school here is 7 and 8th. If they are still in elementary, do you know which district one your potential house is in? I could help you out with that if you know.

Ohiomom

Old 09-28-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiomom View Post
r2r,

How old are your kids? Middle school aged or younger? Middle school here is 7 and 8th. If they are still in elementary, do you know which district one your potential house is in? I could help you out with that if you know.

Ohiomom

Both boys are Highschool. 10th and 11th grade. The house is is the Wooster SD.

I found some decent houses but they were in the Triway district. That school doesn't offer what my kids need athletics wise to not even a consideration.

The quality of school is the top of the list but I do have to factor in their interests. If I take away the extracirriculars that they like, they won't be happy. I'm not out to punish them with the move.

I appreciate the offer though.

How's your back? Might need help unloading a truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio