Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 01:54 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
mos. def about 71...the first and 4th are getting big upgrades too imo. coming down reading into downtown too...i can't wait!
I DEFINITELY need to come down to Cincinnati in something besides a big truck. Although the vistas I get at night and at sunrise of the Queen City are breathtaking, I know I'm missing out on so much else, like Reading Rd, for example. I gotta admit, though; crossing the B.S. Bridge AND trying to keep from scraping the wall as I take in the view is pretty exciting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Are there Ohio skylines in states other than Ohio?
That was a typo.Sorry about that.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 AM

826 posts, read 1,625,640 times
The best views of Cleveland are on I-77N, I-90 going west into the city, and anything from lake erie, such as edgewater park.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:55 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
Cincy's skyline hands down. The view from I-75 is very impressive and the growing skyline across the river in Kentucky is starting to compliment its older brother nicely. Cincy has the most density of any city in Ohio, and the buildings are lit up at night moreso than any other city. Cincy's skyling will take a giant leap when their new tower is complete in a couple years.

Toledo's is second in my opinion. It's obviously smaller than the 3 Cs, but the view from across the Maumee River is beautiful. It is probably the most balanced skyline in Ohio. It also has the added benefit of three great bridges crossing the river and is highlighted by the newly completed I-280 bridge that is lit up at night with different light shows.

Dayton has a pretty nice skyline as well. It is surprisingly dense (at least from the view on I-75), and well balanced.

Cleveland has height, but lacks density. And the Key Bank building sticks out like a sore thumb. Columbus has even less density than Cleveland, although it has the nicest individual buildings in the state.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
The Terminal Tower alone puts Cleveland ahead of most of the larger cities in Ohio. Like I said, in my opinion Cleveland has the best skyline in Ohio followed by Cincinnati. The rest arent even close.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 PM

16 posts, read 77,242 times
Columbus hands down! But I'm from Columbus, so I'm a bit biased! Most of our tall buildings are lined up along High Street and Broad Street.

The best views of the city can be had on I-670 eastbound from I-70 and Grandview Avenue and between OH 315 and High Street, I-71 northbound from I-270 and Frank Road, I-70 eastbound from Sullivant Avenue/Central Avenue, and OH 315 southbound between King Avenue and I-670.

Not only that, but Columbus' skyscrapers hold a few "superlatives" as well. These include

(I believe) the tallest residential building in the state, 1 Miranova Place at 314 feet;
miranova and waterford towers photo - kyle blankenship photos at pbase.com
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...olumbus-oh-usa

the tallest courthouse in the state and one of the tallest in the country, the Franklin County Courthouse at 464 feet;
FCC1
FranklinCC

and the tallest government buildings (I believe) in the state, the James Rhodes State Office Tower at 629 feet (Rhodes State Office Tower - view from National City building on Flickr - Photo Sharing!), Vern Riffe Center at 504 feet (Vern Riffe Center on Flickr - Photo Sharing!), and William Green Building at 530 feet (IMG_1315 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

Columbus also has some impressive building lighting jobs, particularly:

the AEP Building (whose top, which consists of a band of wrapped lights, changes colors and patterns most nights)
AEP & Police HQ, Twilight on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Columbus at Night on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

the Franklin County Courthouse, which won an award for its lighting scheme (I'll try to find the source again)
IMG_4645.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Franklin county courthouse photo - kyle blankenship photos at pbase.com
ColNight22

the Ohio Supreme Court Building, which is even more impressive on the inside
Ohio Supreme Court Building Sculpture on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ohio Supreme Court, Columbus on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ohio Supreme Court on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ohio Supreme Court Building on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ohio Judicial Center, Columbus, Ohio on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ohio Judicial Center on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Just a few fun ones:
ColNight8
Skyline2

photos courtesy and property of their respective owners: urbanohio.com, pbase.com, flickr.com; height information courtesy of emporis.com

Old 08-26-2008, 04:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Cleveland lacks density, but it has some amazing towers. Key Tower, in the world's top 100 is ranked very high as one of Cesar Pelli's best designs, and it truly is. He is a great architect. Terminal Tower is one of the best art deco designs in the world, the tallest at its time in the world outside of New York. We have a great skyline, and the view from the lake and Edgewater Park are awesome. Lets not forget about Cleveland's 3 new planned towers.

Columbus is modern, and growing with many new highrise condos, and some other new ones are in the works, esp around the booming Arena District.

Cincinnati's is one of the most dense in the nation, and a new tallest is underway. The riverfront will look amazing in a few years with the Banks underconstruction.

Dayton is dense, with some great modern buildings along with some art deco.

Toledo's is great for a city of its size.

Youngstown is one of the best preserved art decos in the nation. Great for a city of its size as well.

Ohio has great skylines all around. Just travel the nation, you will be suprised. Some states don't even have "skylines", let alone multiple great ones. Just look at Indiana, what Indianapolis and Fort Wayne...... thats about it.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
The Terminal Tower alone puts Cleveland ahead of most of the larger cities in Ohio. Like I said, in my opinion Cleveland has the best skyline in Ohio followed by Cincinnati. The rest arent even close.
Remember the definition on the page before this. A "skyline" is the line made from the contrast between the sky and buildings/mountains.

A skyline does not know a building's height or facade.

Look at Portland and Dayton. Both have great skylines for cities their size.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 AM

60 posts, read 152,926 times
Best skyline in Ohio?

Skyline chili!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM

74 posts, read 281,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I have always heard that the Key Tower (950 ft, 17th tallest in the US) was the tallest building between NYC and Chicago, but I was confused at that. There are taller buildings in Philly and Atlanta, so I dont understand how they got that information, maybe they just mean straight across lol. But that is good news for Cleveland, they were actually planning on constructing a building in Cleveland around 1,100 ft. Its good news that Cincinnati is getting a taller building too.

The only cities that have taller buildings than the Key Tower are (and how many): Chicago-6, NYC-5, Houston-2, Atlanta-1, Los Angeles-1, and Philadelphia-1.

Does it seem to anyone else that comparing obviously phallic building sizes is a lot like comparing penis size. It might make you feel better but doesn't matter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio