Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:58 AM

103 posts, read 433,032 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Northeastern region of Ohio. Are property taxes high there? We've been looking at realestate sites online and have noticed that property taxes are paid each 6 months and they appear to be quite high. We now live in FLorida and we pay once a year, have homestead exemption for all property owners and residences (most people consider FL property taxes to be high.). Also, how much is sales tax and is there a state income tax? Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 06:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times
I can't address your specific questions but generally, Ohio homes have property taxes in the 1.5-2.5% of purchase price range, so if you purchase a $300 K home I would expect property taxes to be in the $4500-$7000 range. School bonds are voted by each school district, which partially explains the variance.

Don't forget, much of Ohio has city wage taxes too, generally in the 2% to 3% range. This range is due to partial credits allowed between municipalities.

The state income tax doesn't allow deductions normally allowed on Federal returns. Personal exemptions are just about the only deduction, and capital gains are taxed as ordinary income.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 30,777 times
Default ohio

I was born and raised in Ohio. We had to move out of state due to no jobs. I had 9 rental properties owned my own business with 7 employees. I lost it all. My father told me just this morning that he saw on the news that the median house price for central Ohio has dropped from $212,ooo to $138,ooo in one year. I would do my home work before moving to Ohio! I have all my friends and family there and still do not want to move back. They are all still trying to hang on to jobs and homes.
Good luck! Bill

Old 07-27-2007, 07:43 PM

286 posts, read 1,587,903 times
I can only compare to Michigan... From what I know and have confirmed with property owners, Ohio's property tax is less. However, as mentioned, it can vary with school districts.

The income tax for my husband is half as much as Michigan's, but it may depend on your tax bracket. We know this because his employer mistaken took both states out upon starting his job last month.

Good luck on your decision! NE Ohio is a gorgeous area. The job market is slim, but certainly not impossible.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 36,835 times
Ohio is the second highest taxed state in America. I'm a life long resident of Cleveland, and I loved it, it was my home town and life was good. I owned two businesses and was doing well. After 9/11 everything changed here. I lost my one business, refinanced my house to pay off the business debts, my house payment tripled in 4 years. My house is now in foreclosure. Cleveland (Cuyahoga County) has the highest rate of foreclosures in the country. My house has been up for sale since Jan., I've had 3 lookers and I live in a lovely suburb. Nothing is selling, nothing. Don't even dream of living in the city unless you want to carry a gun. Cleveland is turning into the old west. I now have crackheads, crack prostitutes scaring away my customers at my other business. I now carry a gun. Our police? Understaffed and overworked. Our mayor is LAME, a dog with no teeth. We've had 18 murders in the past 26 days. The crime rate is through the roof. Our school system is in a shambles, you've got to go private. They're trying to raise our sales tax another 1/4%. Our economy is horrible, no jobs, people getting laid off, which always increases the crime. If you consider moving here, you better think twice. Unless you're well off, the far east and west suburbs are very nice.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 36,835 times
One more thing-our sales tax right now is 7 1/2%-they're trying to raise it without a vote!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:53 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,090,252 times
While things are certainly not rosy in Ohio, there are other cities from Orlando to Boston that suffer numerous problems ranging from costs, to crime, to taxes. NewToCA, you hit the nail on the head. That general layout is how most suburbs in Ohio work out in terms of taxes. Of course, each city will be different. Check with a realtor for more specific numbers.

One thing that I have noticed however is residents in most of Ohio's major cities (Dayton, Cincy, Toledo, Akron, Youngstown, Cleveland, Columbus) tend to be overtaxed for the level of services they recieve. Part of this is due to the population losses these places have suffered and the cities must now go to the remaining residents and workers for more money. These people don't wish or can't pay more and thus the system breaks down even further. Employers also leave due to costs. School levies fail causing districts to neglect their infrastructure (ie. books, computers, buildings) due to a lean budget.

While all of that may sound scarry, don't let it convince you all of Ohio is this way. Some places are doing better then others because they have diversified their local economies faster than others. I think NE Ohio is furthest behind most Ohio regions (ok, maybe not SE Ohio, but it was rural in the first place). Until local and state governments realize that they and their policies are the problem, a turn-around will take longer to achieve.

I'd say the one thing you'll miss will be the homestead exemption. Especially if you bought your home in Florida before the state's prices skyrocketed.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:45 AM

656 posts, read 2,316,791 times
Default Oh, how true you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Until local and state governments realize that they and their policies are the problem, a turn-around will take longer to achieve.
That's a very good point. I've been saying that for quite a while, or at least ever since I've worked on local businesses. That whole "more taxation to accommodate services" argument loses its potency when the tax base erodes and we're left with even less.

Let's just recap on some of Ohio's taxes:
  • Ohio Sales Tax
  • Ohio Income Tax (withholdings for employees & your Sch. C)
  • Local Income Tax
  • Commercial Activity Tax (CAT) (broken link)
  • Ohio Department of Job and Family Services
  • Ohio Bureau of Worker's Compensation
  • School District Tax (where applicable)
  • Gasoline Tax (28 Cents a gallon plus 3 cents commercial)
  • Homestead
  • Alcohol & Tobacco (Sin) taxes
This is not to mention the MVLR and other fees we pay to reside in Ohio. I can only see this ending up to be a vicious circle where the state is not getting enough money to operate and ends up raising taxes even more.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:29 AM

122 posts, read 959,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marriott View Post
My father told me just this morning that he saw on the news that the median house price for central Ohio has dropped from $212,ooo to $138,ooo in one year.
Certainly NOT true for the Cincinnati area and I can not believe that for anywhere in Ohio! As a real estate investor, I can tell you that sales may be down just a little and when that happen prices may dip slightly, but certain not by nearly half, that's ridiculous. Your dad was mistaken, or the news program got the state wrong. Good grief. Appreciation is slow and steady. We do not see the enormous jumps and drops as in other parts of the country, like southern Florida or east or west coast. No sir, not Ohio!

I have many rentals and they all have a positive cash flow! Don't know where you lived in Ohio, but I would question the business methods more so than the state. There are always a need for rentals!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 AM

219 posts, read 894,501 times
Ohio is an interesting case study in municipal finance -- as it used to be one of the low-tax states, and now is one of the higher-tax states.

Midwestern states seem to have higher taxes (but also better amenities) than Southern states. You can find outstanding public school systems in Ohio, far more than we've found in the Southern states that we've lived in. Ohio offers a number of excellent public universities -- in a lot of low-tax states, there may be one good flagship campus. Ohio has decent snow removal in the winter, and nice state parks in the summer. There are museums and other attractions all across Ohio, some state supported and some not.

You could lump Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania and other older industrial regions in the same category. In some ways, you get what you pay for in taxation. These are all, in varying degrees (and to my tastes), better places to live than in many of the low-tax emerging states.

The poster who quoted the price decline is an alarmist. Ohio is slumping, just like almost every other state, but home values are not declining by 50% here (nor are they in California or Florida, at least yet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio