Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 10,766 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My partner and I have started talking about relocating closer to his family in Northwest Ohio. My main concern is that as a gay person I may have a difficult time in this part of the country. The family lives in the Defiance area, and I know that Toledo is about 45 minutes away (which appears to have some gay scene, as well as gay friendly churches which are important to me) Can anyone tell me what GLBT life is like here? I know I'm moving to 'the country' but I'd appreciate any insights you could offer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 PM

39 posts, read 146,032 times
Lakewood has a high gay population, I know that...

Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 AM

15 posts, read 67,115 times
I think Lakewood is a bit far from where the OP is looking to relocate. Lakewood is a suburb of Cleveland and a bit of a hike from Defiance.

I can't speak to the experiences of living in NW Ohio as a gay man, and I had similar reservations about moving to NE Ohio before I moved here, but I was really glad that I did. I moved from DC to Youngstown, but found a small GLBT community here, and the resources of a bigger city like Cleveland

I did a quick search of the internet and found that Defiance has a GLBT friendly UCC church. The website is Home Page

Good luck and welcome to Ohio!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Generally, NE ohio and central (Columbus area) ohio have the strongest and most visible gay populations. In NE ohio even the smaller cities like Youngstown or medium sized like Akron have a sizeable gay population and gay business.

Columbus area has a strong and visible gay poplulation. Columbus and NE ohio are also the most "blue" areas of the state.

Now, once you get west of Columbus, you start to get much more conservative. The entire western side of Ohio is more like Indiana when it comes to politics, more conservative. This means that NW Ohio is not known for having a very strong gay population. Of course there is one, but I know very few gay people who live there or have moved to Columbus (where I live) and had much to bragging to do in regards to NW Ohio's gay population.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Bowling Green is a college town along I-75 that is a nice, safe, midwestern city, that is also very open to diversity (there is really good support for diversity issues at BGSU both students and faculty, and that carries over into the city). There is some GLBT night life in Bowling Green, but more in Toledo (older clubs that are not the greatest), Ann Arbor (1 hr north of BG), or Detroit (90 miles from BG.)

You might consider BG, the Old West End of Toledo, Sandusky (where Cedar Point is), or even think about Ann Arbor.

Findlay might be comfortable for you (its also a college town), but I think the other cities/towns of NW Ohio would be less than comfortable (but not impossible to live in.)

Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Findlay might be comfortable for you (its also a college town), but I think the other cities/towns of NW Ohio would be less than comfortable (but not impossible to live in.)
I'm very reluctant to agree with this statement. Is there a university here? Yes, the University of Findlay's been here since 1882. Is Findlay a "college town"? Eeeeeeeeee, no. Here's why: The University of Findlay's influence does not go beyond its campus. There are three college bars (two definite, and one debatable) and the campus (I'll even throw in the equestrians, but that doesn't run much past the farmsteads either).

Now, go to Bowling Green, Columbus, or Ann Arbor. They are, without a doubt, "college towns." The Falcons, Buckeyes, and Wolverines are a pervasive part of each city. They're everywhere. In fact, if BG were to lose BGSU, the city would lose a large chunk of its population.

While the U of F may think it's something else (always to my amusement), the residents of Findlay have their attention elsewhere. Mostly to the Buckeyes, and a few Wolverine fans that have trickled in from Michigan. It's like saying Pioneer Sugar is big business in Findlay. Yes, we have the towers, but their importance is nowhere close to what you'd imagine them to be.

As for a homosexual's comfort in Findlay, that too I'm reluctant to agree with. Again, are there gay people in Findlay? Yes, I'm on a first name basis with some (for quite some time, too). Is there a scene? Well, if there is, no one talks about it. In fact, the ones who should know are always giving me an earful on how there is none. I never really know what to tell them, because truth be told, there's not much of a scene for straight people here either. It's a family community, little more than that. ::shrug::

With that said, NWO's best bets are Bowling Green and Toledo. That's not leaving you with much, I understand, but I'm being objective with the observations I have. I was never one to sugar coat my synopses.

Last edited by Art1979; 10-21-2007 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
The Old West End is like the San Francisco of Toledo lol. Seriously back in the 70's when crime spread thru the area and those beautiful historical homes were being torn up into crappy apartments, it took having the gays to move into the neighborhood to start fixing them up again.
I have a relative who owns a home in this area, and I swear he and his girlfriend are the only heteros in the area lol.
Not far away, the nightlife consists of Bretz bar and Caesars showplace for gays to socialize.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 PM

54 posts, read 185,961 times
I don't recommend being openly gay in Northwestern OH.

Try the cleveland area, or columbus. You would likely have less issues there.

Indiana would be even worse.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
All of Ohio's major cities are usually ok for gay people (Obviously) ... As far as rural OH, that's going to be a little different.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 71,587 times
Default suggested glbt areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
You might consider BG, the Old West End of Toledo, Sandusky (where Cedar Point is), or even think about Ann Arbor.
Even though it's a cruise, Ann Arbor would be your best bet. It is a very cultural, diverse, and hip area. I know the Old West End of Toledo has a high gay population but I'm not really sure if there is a sense of community. Also, Toledo has a decent amount of GLBT bars. Cedar Point has a huge gay population as well. That might be worth checking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio