Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
My post was just intended to provide a point of evidence for why Southwest Ohio is considered conservative. It was not meant to be a be all end all case closed point, rather just one example. The fact is that there are far more examples of religious extremism in Southwest Ohio than there are of extreme liberals, and the area on the whole is more conservative than it is liberal. The same cannot be said from an area like Chicago, though extremists on both sides do exist. Even Southwest Ohians admit that the area is the "gateway to the bible belt" and the "gateway to the south". Maybe Cincinnati is an outlier, but the surrounding area is certainly more conservative, both religiously and politically, than other areas of the state.
Well blah blah blah....and blah blah blah. And what you said about Blah? well blah blah MEGA-blah. In FACT 'BLAH! you' and the blah blah horses you rode in on, blah blah. What the blah don't you blah blah about how blah your opinions are? Again, Blah off and sit by blah blah Lake Erie while blahing about blah blah.

time to take your medicine unCleverfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
My post was just intended to provide a point of evidence for why Southwest Ohio is considered conservative. It was not meant to be a be all end all case closed point, rather just one example. The fact is that there are far more examples of religious extremism in Southwest Ohio than there are of extreme liberals, and the area on the whole is more conservative than it is liberal. The same cannot be said from an area like Chicago, though extremists on both sides do exist. Even Southwest Ohians admit that the area is the "gateway to the bible belt" and the "gateway to the south". Maybe Cincinnati is an outlier, but the surrounding area is certainly more conservative, both religiously and politically, than other areas of the state.
And as someone who has NEVER been to Cincinnati you wouldn't know! So all you are doing is posting baseless speculation as fact.

The same could be said for me never having been to Cleveland. I am under the impression that it's sort of a burned out manufacturing town, sort of the Detroit of Ohio with flammable rivers. So tell me, how accurate is my speculation of Cleveland? Sort of ridiculous, no?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
TomJones, don't respond to him in logical modern English...

just give him blah blah blah, and blah blah blah. He OBVIOUSLY cannot handle any more intellectually

Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,137 times
Cleverfield long ago ceased to be relevant to this conversation. I think it was about the time he said he had never been to southwest Ohio. He has a definite bias borne out of who knows what. Maybe it's our growing metro while his is shrinking? Maybe it's our skyline? Perhaps our better weather? Maybe he looks at the Reds and wishes the Indians could have Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Aroldis Chapman and, you know, more than 8,000 fans at the ballpark.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Cleverfield long ago ceased to be relevant to this conversation. I think it was about the time he said he had never been to southwest Ohio. He has a definite bias borne out of who knows what. Maybe it's our growing metro while his is shrinking? Maybe it's our skyline? Maybe he looks at the Reds and wishes the Indians could be them?
I'd still take Cleveland over Cincy.

How'd the Reds do in the playoffs again?

I'm messing with you guys, FYI.

But seriously...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'd still take Cleveland over Cincy.

How'd the Reds do in the playoffs again?

I'm messing with you guys, FYI.

But seriously...
Lost to the eventual world champion Giants. It'll be a different story this year. Our teams at least get to the playoffs. Oh, and thanks for Choo! Have fun with Drew KKKKKKKKKKKKstubbs lol

Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
I ran across this article at Atlantic Cities (the urban affairs website hosted by The Atlantic magazine), which has a map germane to the discussion about the relative conservatism of the SW Ohio. The map aggregates the Presidential vote by metro area, and shows which candidate carried which metro area:

So you can see SW Ohio was the one collection of metro areas in the state that was carried by Romney. It shares this with other metros in the Ohio Valley (except for Columbus). So yes, I think this is a good way of showing the general conservative atmosphere of this area, no matter if the center city is more liberal or democrat or not.

From the article:

Quote:
Romney was also competitive in a number of older industrial metros. He took the old industrial regions of Wheeling (57 percent) and Weirton, West Virginia (54 percent), and Johnstown, Pennsylvania (58 percent), as well as Dayton (53.5 percent) and Cincinnati, Ohio (57.7 percent) by considerable margins. He even eked out victories in the once-blue strongholds of greater Milwaukee (51.7 percent) and Pittsburgh (with 50.03 percent vs. 48.8 percent for Obama). The once solidly-Democratic industrial belt is now mixed.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
So yes, I think this is a good way of showing the general conservative atmosphere of this area, no matter if the center city is more liberal or democrat or not.
And that is an articulate, intelligent way to put it.

Voting for Romney is in no way how others were trying to paint the region.

And Hamilton county voted for Obama, that's a lot more than the center city.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/politic...ton-county-win

Old 02-28-2013, 02:37 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
And as someone who has NEVER been to Cincinnati you wouldn't know! So all you are doing is posting baseless speculation as fact.

The same could be said for me never having been to Cleveland. I am under the impression that it's sort of a burned out manufacturing town, sort of the Detroit of Ohio with flammable rivers. So tell me, how accurate is my speculation of Cleveland? Sort of ridiculous, no?
So you can't know anything about a place unless you've been to a place? I guess books and all are useless to you then. I have read things about Southwest Ohio, I have spoken with people from Southwest Ohio about Southwest Ohio. I have learned about the area, and while I'm no expert on it, I think I'm informed enough to know the general political and social climate down there.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,522 times
Dayton Sux, here is where we can pull out the dubious distinction I learned from the Greater Cleveland Wikipedia article: the Cincinnati metro is not contained entirely within the state of Ohio, so if you subtract the blood-red counties in KY and IN you will get a different picture.

From the Greater Cleveland Wikipedia article:
Quote:
Greater Cleveland is the 28th most populous metropolitan area in the United States and largest metro entirely in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio