Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 86,479 times

Advertisements

You can't go to Cedar Point, as it's closed for the winter. Since you can't do that, don't visit Sandusky at all, because it's a crappy tourist trap city.

Cincinnati: Newport on the Levee (Kentucky side of the river) or The Banks (Ohio side), both give great views and both have good food and nightlife. Also be sure to check out Fountain Square - they have an ice skating rink. There are some cool things in the suburbs, but nothing worth visiting unless you like trains (EnterTRAINment Junction is a really cool train display and has a fun house), and everything else is closed (Kings Island, The Beach Waterpark, etc.). There's also the Newport Aquarium and Cincinnati Museum Center just a mile away from downtown. Oh, and the Cincinnati Zoo is awesome too, but if you go to the Columbus Zoo, don't visit this one...as you can tell I live in Cincinnati. One last thing - eat at a Skyline Chili and Montgomery Inn. Two Cincinnati favorites!!

Columbus: I don't live in Columbus, but I know the zoo is a must-do, and I used to love COSI as a kid, which is basically a giant science museum fun for all ages. Columbus is a kind of boring city like others have said but it's a nice city.

Cleveland: Don't really know anything about Cleveland besides the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, which I visited this summer. Only enjoyable if you like the music.

Other things: Dayton has some cool things as its the birthplace of aviation, but the city itself is kind of bleck - nothing not worth visiting though. You could even check out Hocking Hills (though it is cold), which is just like a national park except it's not considered one. They have hiking trails and waterfalls, etc.

Hope you have fun. Ohio is awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I definitely agree that the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force is an absolute MUST for visitors to Ohio - perhaps more than anything else. You can do Cincinnati-Dayton over a weekend nicely.

In Cincinnati ...

Mount Adams
Cincinnati Museum Center
Cincinnati Art Museum
National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
Music Hall
Cincinnati Zoo
Newport Aquarium
Hofbrauhaus
Fountain Square
University of Cincinnati
Carew Tower observation deck
Montgomery Inn Boathouse

Air Force museum (Dayton)
Dont forget the 21C museum and the riverfront park.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM

21 posts, read 69,134 times
Thank you for all the suggestions in this thread! To let you know, I just arrived home from Ohio last night. I enjoyed my short tour of the great state of Ohio! I love it that Ohio has a little bit of everything: urban cities, dotted farms & cornfields, and diverse landscapes (forests, lakes, and rivers). Due to a limited amount of time, I had to change my plans some so I didn't get to see Cleveland this time. However, I plan to visit Cleveland some day.

Here is what I visited in Ohio:

Cincinnati:

View of Downtown from Covington, KY/Interstate 71
Observation Deck at Carew (beautiful view of the entire city)
1st time trying Dave & Buster's ever (suburb of Springdale, OH)

Columbus:

Downtown Columbus (Bicentennial Park, Ohio Capitol, & LaVeque Tower)
Arena District, Victorian Village/Goodale Park, Short North, Italian Village, & German Village (Schiller Park, Schmidt's, and The Thurman Cafe)
Magnificent Ohio State University
Drove up High St. all the way to I-270; Worthington was absolutely the best!
Also visited all three lakes north of Columbus.
*Checked out apartment complexes in both Dublin and New Albany; I spent most time in Columbus since I am planning a move there.

Ohio's Amish County

Drove all the way on State Route 39 through Millersburg, Berlin, Walnut Creek, & Sugarcreek (I ate at yummy Dutch Valley Amish Kitchen Cooking).

Like I said, I really enjoyed Ohio. I think the state is highly underrated based on misconceptions of having bad economy and being in the Midwest overshadowed by Chicago and the Twin Cities.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM

21 posts, read 69,134 times
I happen to have one question I forgot to include in my recent post above about my visit to Ohio.

Is it normal for Ohio to have serious trash littering problem by highways and interstates? I was surprised at the amount of litter. I thought maybe heavy winds blow trash around rather than a poor performance by the state to clean up.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM

249 posts, read 609,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiGuy View Post
I happen to have one question I forgot to include in my recent post above about my visit to Ohio.

Is it normal for Ohio to have serious trash littering problem by highways and interstates? I was surprised at the amount of litter. I thought maybe heavy winds blow trash around rather than a poor performance by the state to clean up.
In the winter months with high winds and salt trash will be on the highway typically.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
^
roadside litter problems? It doesnt seem so to me, but Ive lived here a long time so maybe Im used to it.

Glad you liked Worthington. Its a good example of those 'small town become suburbs' that one sees' a lot of in Ohio. There is a neat little seafood place up there called the Rusty Bucket

Amish Country is one part of Ohio I have not seen. But yes, you are picking up on how diverse the landscapes are here..Ohio is actually a fairly regionalized, rich place, not the flat/bland Midwest stereotype.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

Glad you liked Worthington. Its a good example of those 'small town become suburbs' that one sees' a lot of in Ohio. There is a neat little seafood place up there called the Rusty Bucket

Amish Country is one part of Ohio I have not seen. But yes, you are picking up on how diverse the landscapes are here..Ohio is actually a fairly regionalized, rich place, not the flat/bland Midwest stereotype.
1 of 7 Rusty Buckets in the Columbus area...

Amish country is awesome. Used to go to Sugarcreek every year. The diversity of places is really what makes Ohio unique.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiGuy View Post

Driving back from Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, I was shocked at the amount of litter ringing the I-270 ramp (from WB 70 to SB 270) east of Columbus. It was cringe-worthy, actually.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
^ Apparently Columbus no longer bothers to conceal their "po' white trash..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio