Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2006, 05:39 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,253 times

Advertisements

I have been here once and i have heard many good things about it. The time i went i just drove through it in the middle of fall. Very nice different colored trees and amazing scenery. Does anyone have any pictures of Wayne Nat'l forest or any other info on the area? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 PM

34 posts, read 150,307 times
Is that in Adams County? I know my grandsons and their other family camp a lot in one of the National forests out that way.

Also, if you go out Adams County way, it's well worth your time to visit Serpent Mound. (It's also Amish country so watch for the buggies.)

Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Default Depends on what your really mean

There is no one Wayne National Forest.

There is a collection of forest blocks that covers many, many square miles. Many blocks are totally independent, it covers many counties in SE Ohio, a bit of a unique type National Forest. It was put together after the land was settled. There is a lot of private land mixed in, including towns and public highways. Bit like a patchwork or quilt. Lots of land between blocks. Many counties in the SE have blocks of forest. You can hunt in most of it. All of the towns and SR-800 going south are in a National Forest block. I live within the upper border of one of those major blocks, the county seat of Woodsfield is within a block. It is not what you think of for most National Forest land, usually it was never settled and is some sort of pristine, virgin type area, like in the West. This area probably has been logged repeatly and still is in a controlled manner.

There is something like 8 or 9 major blocks. Your experience will vary widely depending on where you are. In SE Ohio there are something like 50 different species of trees. Many very valuable hardwoods, not all forest is the same. The areas near the river will differ from those further inland.

The locals say we will not get a nice fall this year. Too much rain in the summer. Typically this area gets a color change late, it does not last as long as more northern areas. Depending on the trees, is what you will see. In my area lots of red oak, maple, elm. I am within a forest block but lots of private land is mixed in. Color change not really happening yet.

Lots of logging goes on, more selective cutting. Logging trucks on the roads all over. Woodsfield has a walnut festival each year. The most valuable stuff now is apparently a very high grade cherry. They even have sassafras big enough to make furniture. Lots of small sawmills in the area.

Not something many folks get to take advantage of. I got a nice collection of resawn hickory that a neighbor was throwing away (Can you say free, woof). Most contractors / carpenters would kill for a sniff of it. Redoing my old shack, killer trim in the bath like I have never dreamed of doing before. Getting ready to redo the kitchen. Just adds a touch that is way to expensive for most homes. You can't even find it, let alone buy some.

This might be an area to go leaf peeping but you want to be riding in the shotgun seat. Roads are a challenge, run on the tops of some rather steep ridges in many areas.

I am talking like from Monroe County all the way down to Lawrence and over as far as Chilicothe but there are huge open private areas within those counties as well.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:25 AM

It seemed like a nice area when i went through it and it seemed well preserved as well. Not a lot of development going on. I know Lancaster and Athens are growing and are right next to the Parks, but they dont seem to be disturbing them.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 PM

65 posts, read 60,271 times
nice place to go a.t.v. riding. they have several helicopter landing pads, i guess some people ride their quads off the mountains accidentaly, nice place though like the entire area

Old 11-08-2006, 06:50 PM

^ I have heard that it is a good spot for atv riding as well as rafting in some of the rivers.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 9,364 times
Default Wnf

i used to work on the wayne national forest, ironton district. what was said about there not being one forest isn't quite correct. There are two districts (athens and ironton) and then the marietta unit which is technically part of the athens district.
both districts have lots of hiking and atv trails. the ironton district also has lake vesuvius, great for fishing and swimming, as well as several historic iron furnaces left over from the iron industry boom in southern ohio. do a quick google search and you'll find out lots more. have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio