Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:26 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Still at a loss to figure out why there should be a train to Columbus.

Looking at the working population we have state government (no one outside ohio cares about ohio government), OSU (OK, maybe on game day) and lastly, cheap labor for places like Chase, AEP, Nationwide etc.

There is no business reason to go to Columbus or cultural reason to go to Columbus.
So no funding for a train.
And yet, despite your bafflement, 25,000 people move to Columbus every year. The city itself is a top 15 fastest-growing in the nation. It regularly gets listed on top 10 lists for economic and cultural characteristics. You didn't like it? Good for you. If the feasibility/economic impact studies say it'll work, there's no reason to take your word otherwise.

I'm a little confused by your cheap labor comment. I wasn't aware that Chase, AEP and Nationwide were paying so little these days. It must've been a bunch of other factors that contributed to the nation's largest average wage increase last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 02:00 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Didn't say people were not moving to it.
I also doubt people moving there would be taking the train.

Although the US census says the net increase is half that.
(Not sure if this is a red herring or strawman. I assume the moving is a strawman and the wage increase and 'you dont like it' are red herrings. I doubt weather I like something is going to be grounds for another persons vacation anymore than someone would vacation somewhere due to a wage increase)

I believe I said; "There is no business reason to go to Columbus or cultural reason to go to Columbus"

Old 09-14-2015, 04:06 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
SWOH, can you please reconcile your advocacy of outlawing all guns in this thread with your post here where you cheer a homeowner for shooting her second burglar in two years, especially since it took over an hour for police to arrive on the scene?
"Outlawing all guns"??

I never said that.

Actually, looking through my posting history in this thread, I don't believe I ever mentioned guns.

If you'd like to know my basic position on guns, it's very similar to this one written by Martin O'Malley for CNN:

Martin O'Malley: My promise on guns, NRA - CNN.com

The key items which need to be changed are:

1. Universal background checks - so the wrong people don't get guns in the first place.

2. Like liquor in Ohio, guns should only be sold through state agencies. So the underhanded, illegal sales through channels like the Gun and Knife Show that shows up every few months in Dayton stop.

3. Thorough yearly mental evaluation for gun owners. People may be mentally capable of owning a gun one day, and not the next. A lot of individuals suffering from dementia, scizophrenia, severe depression, etc. own guns. Looking at the tragic recent shootings like Sandy Hook, etc. a decent number of these were caused by mentally incapable people. Mental status needs to be checked for every gun owner, and those who are ruled incapable need to have their guns pulled or be thrown in jail.

4. Private citizens should not be allowed to carry guns in public places, like malls and parks. Drawing a gun in one of these places should be a no-questions-asked felony. Because I don't care how good of a shot you THINK you are, if you shoot a bullet in a public setting you in effect are attempting homicide against every single person that could be there. You don't know what their movements will be or where they are going to go. The odds of that bullet you shot hitting an innocent person are exponentially high. And the second you draw that gun to fire you are committing aggravated menacing against every innocent person there.

5. Guns should not be allowed in bars or other places where intoxication occurs. Again, this goes back to the mental capacity to use a gun.

-----

And that's about it.

So no, I have no interest in taking anyone's gun away from them or outlawing all guns.
All I care is that people who do not have the mental capacity to have a gun be barred from having them, that criminals be barred from having guns, and that people don't have to worry about getting shot while they are in a public place by an active shooter or some dumb vigilante.

And if that's radical, so be it.
I think it's reasonable.

----

Back on the subject of Chicago to Cincy / Chicago to Columbus train lines though.....

Anyone have any new news on these projects?

Old 09-14-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Didn't say people were not moving to it.
I also doubt people moving there would be taking the train.

Although the US census says the net increase is half that.
(Not sure if this is a red herring or strawman. I assume the moving is a strawman and the wage increase and 'you dont like it' are red herrings. I doubt weather I like something is going to be grounds for another persons vacation anymore than someone would vacation somewhere due to a wage increase)

I believe I said; "There is no business reason to go to Columbus or cultural reason to go to Columbus"
The net increase of what, population? The US census is the one giving those growth rates, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Your modus operandi has long been to dismiss Columbus as a cultural backwater in which you don't understand why people would like it or live there, so your opinion that there is no reason to have a train there just goes along with that. My point is that plenty of people seem to believe otherwise.

So there are no business reasons for anyone to ever travel to Columbus? I'm sure that's news to those at the airport, or for all the conventions and other events that take place there, or the national companies based there. Or the people moving or travelling there for their jobs.

I'm still curious what you meant by cheap labor.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:42 AM

368 posts, read 638,905 times
unfortunately for cincy and Cleveland there is more of a business reason for high speed trains from Chicago to Columbus..columbus is the future of Ohio..and the economic engine that keeps Ohio relevant.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:11 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
unfortunately for cincy and Cleveland there is more of a business reason for high speed trains from Chicago to Columbus..columbus is the future of Ohio..and the economic engine that keeps Ohio relevant.
You done did it now

Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
... ()

Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
"Outlawing all guns"??

I never said that.

Actually, looking through my posting history in this thread, I don't believe I ever mentioned guns.

If you'd like to know my basic position on guns, it's very similar to this one written by Martin O'Malley for CNN:

Martin O'Malley: My promise on guns, NRA - CNN.com

The key items which need to be changed are:

1. Universal background checks - so the wrong people don't get guns in the first place.

2. Like liquor in Ohio, guns should only be sold through state agencies. So the underhanded, illegal sales through channels like the Gun and Knife Show that shows up every few months in Dayton stop.

3. Thorough yearly mental evaluation for gun owners. People may be mentally capable of owning a gun one day, and not the next. A lot of individuals suffering from dementia, scizophrenia, severe depression, etc. own guns. Looking at the tragic recent shootings like Sandy Hook, etc. a decent number of these were caused by mentally incapable people. Mental status needs to be checked for every gun owner, and those who are ruled incapable need to have their guns pulled or be thrown in jail.

4. Private citizens should not be allowed to carry guns in public places, like malls and parks. Drawing a gun in one of these places should be a no-questions-asked felony. Because I don't care how good of a shot you THINK you are, if you shoot a bullet in a public setting you in effect are attempting homicide against every single person that could be there. You don't know what their movements will be or where they are going to go. The odds of that bullet you shot hitting an innocent person are exponentially high. And the second you draw that gun to fire you are committing aggravated menacing against every innocent person there.

5. Guns should not be allowed in bars or other places where intoxication occurs. Again, this goes back to the mental capacity to use a gun.

-----

And that's about it.

So no, I have no interest in taking anyone's gun away from them or outlawing all guns.
All I care is that people who do not have the mental capacity to have a gun be barred from having them, that criminals be barred from having guns, and that people don't have to worry about getting shot while they are in a public place by an active shooter or some dumb vigilante.

And if that's radical, so be it.
I think it's reasonable.

----

Back on the subject of Chicago to Cincy / Chicago to Columbus train lines though.....

Anyone have any new news on these projects?
One other point I forgot on my rant above - all guns and bullets should be required to have RFID tracking chips installed into them so they can be traced directly to the point of sale. The RFID chips in the bullets should be placed in such a way so that trying to remove them would destroy the bullet, and gun owners should have their plastic credit-card like license scanned at the point of sale.

Not too much to ask, at least I don't think haha.

But yeah, back on topic. I agree with chet_kincaid's last comment too. I'd rather pursue 3C (plus Dayton/Akron) first too

Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The net increase of what, population? The US census is the one giving those growth rates, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll talk slower next time. Just kidding, it's in the census numbers. Net increase is people moving in - people moving out (+births - deaths).

Your modus operandi has long been to dismiss Columbus as a cultural backwater in which you don't understand why people would like it or live there, so your opinion that there is no reason to have a train there just goes along with that. My point is that plenty of people seem to believe otherwise.

Got that one! "Discredit the source"

So there are no business reasons for anyone to ever travel to Columbus? I'm sure that's news to those at the airport, or for all the conventions and other events that take place there, or the national companies based there. Or the people moving or travelling there for their jobs.

This one also. "Begging the question"

I'm still curious what you meant by cheap labor.

Dude, there are 12 basic falisies in logic. You have hit 4 of them in two posts.
I learned that in Ann Arbor.

As for cheap labor, Chase outsources a lot of their work to Columbus. It's cheaper than New York and Chicago. They have quotas and guidelines. Cheap labor is a good thing. It decreases unemployment and creates disproportionately large wage increases %'s.
Median income in New York is twice Columbus. Which means you can get twice as many people in Columbus (good thing) Plus, a 5% increase in pay in New York would be equal to a 10% increase in pay in Columbus.

COL is also significantly less in Columbus. This drives in population, but doesn't create a reason to travel there.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Tenzo;41216246]

I'll talk slower next time. Just kidding, it's in
the census numbers. Net
increase is people moving in - people moving
out (+births - deaths)
You weren't specific. 2010-2014 growth for the metro was this (they don't do these numbers for the actual city by itself):
Natural (Births vs. Deaths): +51,381 62,011 deaths vs. 113,392 births.
Domestic Migration: +20,083
International Migration: +21,574
Net Total: +92,521
2013-2014 Net: +25,504

Quote:
Got that one! "Discredit the source"

I can't really discredit a subjective view. This *has* been your posting style about Columbus as long as I've interacted with you.

Quote:
This one also. "Begging the question"

It was your claim that no one has any reason to travel to Columbus for business, so there's no need for a train there. How is it then illogical to ask why you think that?

Quote:
Dude, there are 12 basic falisies in logic. You have hit 4 of them in
two posts.
I learned that in Ann Arbor.

I'd consider asking for a refund on that education.

Quote:
As for cheap labor, Chase outsources a lot of their work to Columbus.
It's cheaper than New York and Chicago. They have quotas and guidelines.
Cheap labor is a good thing. It decreases unemployment and creates
disproportionately large wage increases %'s.

Median income in New York is twice Columbus. Which means you can get twice
as many people in Columbus (good thing) Plus, a 5% increase in pay in New York
would be equal to a 10% increase in pay in Columbus.

So why bring it up as a negative when you're saying here it's a good thing?

Quote:
COL is also significantly less in Columbus. This drives in population, but
doesn't create a reason to travel there.

That makes no logical sense from what you just said. If businesses are increasing their workforce and business activity in Columbus because of good COL and less expensive labor costs, there would automatically be increased business reasons to travel there. These companies do not exist in a vacuum in Columbus where its functions, activities and workforce are completely separated from the main HQ. People travel back and forth all the time.

You also dismiss other types of business, like conventions and tourism. Columbus tourism seems to reach a new record with each passing year. It's up something like 9% so far this year alone, according to an article I just posted on the development thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio