Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times

Advertisements

“Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!”
― Karl Marx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 12:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
^ Yes.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:21 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I generally find this thread hilarious and kind of sad. I see a bunch of people who seem to be infested with bitterness because a city in their state threatens their comfortable view that their respective cities are far superior.

Incidentally, Aaron Renn had a particularly nasty remark to a Cincinnati poster on his site the other day that had wider implications for this very thread.

Here it is:

Matthew, has it ever occurred to you that the reason Cincinnati as been in relative decline versus the rest of the country for 150 years now is because of the ridiculous arrogance about how great the city is held by all too many of its residents, of which you are Exhibit A? You are nothing but a propaganda machine for Cincinnati. And obviously an insecure one as well since you can’t let it drop at just boasting about your own city, you feel the need to tear down other places too. Cincinnati is never going to reach any of its legitimate potential if its residents all think like you. You’d be better off focusing on making Cincinnati better and addressing its actual problems instead of just posting your talking points about how Columbus sucks, Cincinnati rules.

The last half of the comment is really what could be applied to most of the posters in this thread. So much energy hating on Columbus. If even half of that was channeled into being positive about your own city and it's potential, perhaps you would never have to be concerned about Columbus' success again. You'd have enough of your own. But perhaps these attitudes are simply too ingrained in the local cultures now. The narrative now is that either Columbus has to fail, or everyone else does. What a telling statement that really is.

But I can't imagine any of this will actually register on here.
Yup, not much has changed on this board in the year I've been gone. Same people rehashing the same old storylines in every thread.

For the record, I don't hate Columbus. It's - surprisingly - not on my radar much at all, considering it's only 90 minutes away and is the capital of the state I live in. I guess the only time it's ever in my consciousness is when OSU football plays, or when Dayton beats them in basketball!

Old 06-04-2014, 02:47 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ For you, absolutely any slight against Columbus initiates a new and angry, life-and-death struggle. (This is just another one of them.)
Not at all, and I think, deep down, you know better. Columbus has tons of flaws, and Aaron's own article pointed out some of them. That doesn't mean it's the city being sold on here, though. Ironically, this is not really about Columbus so much as the perception that other cities can't compete with it. The reality is that Columbus would be in far more danger if the other two go their s**t together and started to be realistic about their potential. Right now, they're just not. They've made some progress, which is great, but this thread is a perfect example of the type of attitude that will continue to make it a 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of process.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Yup, not much has changed on this board in the year I've been gone. Same people rehashing the same old storylines in every thread.

For the record, I don't hate Columbus. It's - surprisingly - not on my radar much at all, considering it's only 90 minutes away and is the capital of the state I live in. I guess the only time it's ever in my consciousness is when OSU football plays, or when Dayton beats them in basketball!
That may be, but I suspect that if there was a poll done with the general population of Cincinnati/Cleveland, the % that had a general or specific negative reaction to Columbus would be much higher than not. Thinking about it all the time is not the same thing. I'm sure the posters of this thread don't obsess about it all the time. They just do here.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
“Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!”
― Karl Marx
...yes.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:55 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
Quote:
Not at all, and I think, deep down, you know better. Columbus has tons of flaws, and Aaron's own article pointed out some of them. That doesn't mean it's the city being sold on here, though. Ironically, this is not really about Columbus so much as the perception that other cities can't compete with it. The reality is that Columbus would be in far more danger if the other two go their s**t together and started to be realistic about their potential. Right now, they're just not. They've made some progress, which is great, but this thread is a perfect example of the type of attitude that will continue to make it a 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of process.
I say bulls**t. Next time you leave mexico to visit Ohio come visit downtown Cleveland for the wknd and then I would like to hear your impression... Also I agree with the poster above. Columbus is completely off my radar.. Don't you get it jbcmh81? We just like plucking the feathers of the guardian angel of columbus. In fact , its not even a challenge anymore to get you off your perch to swoop in across two countries to defend cbus.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 AM

465 posts, read 658,489 times
I don't think a citizen of any of the three C's should have really much reason to be jealous of either of the other two right now unless they're into some specific thing that one of the other cities happen to have. The overall experience and economic trajectory of all three seems to be pretty positive over the last couple of years, they all have some very vibrant sections worth living in or visiting. I don't see any of them doing the one step forward, two back thing at the moment. There are definitely shortcomings for all three, too, but there's not really any sense that any of them are still in decline if you've actually visited them with any frequency post-Recession, I'm not sure why Renn would say that.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
I say bulls**t. Next time you leave mexico to visit Ohio come visit downtown Cleveland for the wknd and then I would like to hear your impression... Also I agree with the poster above. Columbus is completely off my radar.. Don't you get it jbcmh81? We just like plucking the feathers of the guardian angel of columbus. In fact , its not even a challenge anymore to get you off your perch to swoop in across two countries to defend cbus.
I don't believe for a moment that you don't care, but if what you're saying is true and that you're just trolling me, then you are violating the terms of the forum.

And I guarantee that if I started to actually troll you guys with threads about Cincy/Cleveland, none of you would be able to stay away from coming to their respective defenses. You're absolutely no different. Only the place you champion for is.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
Quote:
I don't believe for a moment that you don't care, but if what you're saying is true and that you're just trolling me, then you are violating the terms of the forum.

And I guarantee that if I started to actually troll you guys with threads about Cincy/Cleveland, none of you would be able to stay away from coming to their respective defenses. You're absolutely no different. Only the place you champion for is.
Don't flatter yourself. What's a troll anyway? I just like calling you out when I read your bs about Ohio cities. I travel to all of them yrly. How often do you travel to Ohio's cities ? Maybe between siestas in mexico? PS are you going to post endless stats about breaking forum rules ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio