Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times

Advertisements

Kudos to the OP, because I think this is an extremely pertinent topic.

I know to most people, especially Ohioans, even the thought of drastic political change seems unlikely and unnecessary. I'd like to remind these people that their current nation of residence didn't even exist as an independent and autonomous entity a mere couple hundred years ago. That's a blink of the eye in the grand scheme of things.

The idea of decentralization and secession will be a trend in coming years. Ohio isn't alone. There's similar conversations going on in Silicon Valley, Colorado, and the Pacific Northwest(just to name a few).

I'd like to see Northeast Ohio break off and form a new state which roughly borders the old "western reserve". Another option which seems reasonable to me is the creation of some type of "city-state". Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati could each break off and form their own independent political bodies separate from the more conservative, rural population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Kudos to the OP, because I think this is an extremely pertinent topic.

I know to most people, especially Ohioans, even the thought of drastic political change seems unlikely and unnecessary. I'd like to remind these people that their current nation of residence didn't even exist as an independent and autonomous entity a mere couple hundred years ago. That's a blink of the eye in the grand scheme of things.

The idea of decentralization and secession will be a trend in coming years. Ohio isn't alone. There's similar conversations going on in Silicon Valley, Colorado, and the Pacific Northwest(just to name a few).

I'd like to see Northeast Ohio break off and form a new state which roughly borders the old "western reserve". Another option which seems reasonable to me is the creation of some type of "city-state". Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati could each break off and form their own independent political bodies separate from the more conservative, rural population.
What is it that Lincoln said again?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What is it that Lincoln said again?
Are you comparing a bunch of silicon valley tech nerds and PNW hippies to neo-confederates? Jesus man, get a clue.

Perhaps this is the Lincoln quote you were looking for:

Quote:
“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”
^^Such a heartwarming bigot, Lincoln was.

You don't have to bother replying, because I have a strong feeling the maturity of the exchange wouldn't surpass this level.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM

127 posts, read 182,979 times
Quote:
There seem to be a lot of articles about secessionist movements recently, but few mention that they'd need approval from Congress before becoming their own state. In the case of Colorado, they'd also need approval from the governor and the state legislature. I just don't think anything is likely to happen but it'll be interesting to see the results.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Are you comparing a bunch of silicon valley tech nerds and PNW hippies to neo-confederates? Jesus man, get a clue.

Perhaps this is the Lincoln quote you were looking for:
His words apply here on a smaller scale. Breaking up the state would make every region weaker, not stronger. It's an all-around terrible idea.

I'm not sure what the other quote has to do with this topic.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Other than the blind-leading-the-blind conservative types, there aren't too many people who romanticize Lincoln's presidency or his stance on race relations. However, his refusal to let the Union fracture was key to America's survival and its ability to thrive in the 20th century. In the age of regionalization, why would we want to break up the administration of services which are currently state-wide and effective?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times
I propose the following map.

http://mff.dsisd.net/mff/Images/GreatLakesBasin.jpg

Great Lakes Megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Good-looking country right there.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Good-looking country right there.
Not in our lifetime, but it may not be far fetched in 150 years. 84% of North America's surface fresh water
about 21% of the world's supply of surface fresh water!!!!! People in the Great Lakes Region will start referring to the Sun-belt states as the dry-belt or the parched-belt. People in the GLR don't realize it, but we are standing on a goldmine. Now we just need to combat the carp being introduced. Water is going to be so expensive in the future. Great Lakers may not want to accept the huge influx of thirsty people. Things in 2013 would never have entered people's minds 150 years ago. So, what I am saying might not be far-fetched. Actually, this would be an interesting thread. I propose Sarnia as the capital...lol

Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM

416 posts, read 701,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
No thanks. NE Ohio has very little in common with Michigan and Wisconsin outside of sharing a Great Lake.

I would not be against NE Ohio becoming its own state as we kind of look to ourselves versus what's going on in Columbus or Cincy. We have more in common with places like upstate NY or Western NY. I think we had talked about it a while back on UO and calling it the state of Erie or something. Hell, the damn Turnpike money could at least stay here instead of some money going to Columbus, Dayton, or Cincinnati where the people rarely or never use it.

From the Connecticut Western Reserve and the layouts of our towns, the sense of regionalism all across Ohio whether it be SW Ohio, Central Ohio etc. We have our own culture and different demographics, accents, etc. Akron is centrally located, make that the capital, and call it a day. Three different states in one, and NE Ohio being a prime candidate to being its own state. Never will happen, but people can dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio