Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 05:44 AM

220 posts, read 330,437 times

Advertisements

Here's a really interesting article about some Ohio farmers deeply concerned about fracking, and some who aren't.~
WKSU News: Potential impact of fracking worries Northeast Ohio farmers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:20 AM

So most people who live in Ohio don't really care, but the people in the Northeast DO care about their land & the health of their residents.

Keep the NE states clean, dump your toxic trash in Ohio!!

Northeast States Rush To Keep Fracking Wastewater Out | ThinkProgress

Nobody even cares that the current Ohio admin has paved the way for toxic waste to be deposited in solid waste landfills that can't safely process radioactive waste. The passive attitude and disregard has even allowed this oil & gas purchased Ohio admin to allow fracking in state parks. They haven't acted on it yet, probably because the governor of Ohio was busted by his emails in collusion with Halliburton, but they will. There aren't that many beautiful places in Ohio which aren't privately owned, and we need those state parks. They're going to become fracking wastelands. My guess is that will begin after this next election.

Frackgate: Ohio Governor's Campaign to Frack Parks : Compass

Kasich aides knew of plan for fracking in state parks | The Columbus Dispatch

Luckily for Gov Kasich, most in Ohio don't really give a da*n.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
I live in Ohio and I am glad that you are posting this. I am concerned also.

What can we do to stop our state from becoming dangerous and spoiled?

Some people may want to put their heads in he sand and pretend that this isn't happening. I'm an advocate for Ohio, and as a transplant, I encourage others to move here. It's hard to do that when this is going on.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 PM

Thanks SoulJourn. So good to hear from you. Ohio seems to have such a collective low self-esteem! Haha. Very little pride. I moved here recently myself. I grew up in Ohio, but its been a while...And Ohio is a beautiful state, from the Appalachian hills to Lake Erie. And such a myriad of trees & birds. Marshes & nature preserves scattered everywhere. The many rivers & lakes, the horse farms. SO many horses! There's a farm outside of Granville that has a Zebra, along with their Alpacas. I love it!!

And the people here aren't trash, so why are we getting dumped on by toxic trash? We deserve good health and safe food and healthy pets & livestock as much as our neighbors. Why do so few care? 242 injection wells, Class II, with 5 more on the way. Wells too dangerous to be allowed in other states because they care. Radioactive injections with little oversight in Ohio & triggering earthquakes. Toxic spills...People sticking their heads in the sand, yes you're right, that's what people are doing.

And it doesn't help its been politicized. We all need clean water to live. Rich, poor, right, left, old, young. And ad revenue plays into the low media coverage. New Jersey cares more somehow, and they're demanding their lawmakers represent this & protect them. Not here. Nope. Man on the street is for Jobs! The environment is for Liberals! We're Republican so we don't care, we believe the oil & gas industry that fracking & its radium, benzene, toluene wastes are safe! Who cares about our water/land/health & our property & the health of future generations when all those wells start leaking out radioactive waste in 100 years. As long as we get some money now for ourselves...Its unbelievable really.

Can't there be a safer way to do this? Our Utica Shale is turning up many bum fracking wells anyways. Duds. Wrecking the earth for a big ole nothing. I've heard there is a safer way of fracking that wouldn't use the 2-8 millions gallons of water per well, nor produce as much toxic waste. It involves some kind of gel. But the oil & gas cos, who make billions, don't want to spend the money to make the changes in their equipment....

There are groups out there trying to make a difference~

Fracking Ohio

‘Don’t Waste Ohio’ Coalition Says No to Fracking Wastewater Injection Wells | EcoWatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_IEMxWkGU

https://www.facebook.com/StopFrackingOhio

Don't Frack Ohio! » Fracking in Ohio Facts (site may be hacked)

Ohio: A Fracking Waste Dumping Ground? | Environment Ohio Research and Policy Center

Napalm Creek

https://slowdownfracking.wordpress.c...fracking-boom/

Ohio Citizen Action

It probably seems like alot, but it's all very scattered. We need some cohesive effort. With the knowledge that just by joining an anti-fracking group we're considered "eco-terrorists" by the very powerful oil & gas companies who have bought our state representatives. This is a sad fact. But knowledge is power.

Watch Gasland 2.

Last edited by RiverLover11; 05-27-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverLover11 View Post
FYI

"Pennsylvania drilling wastes might overwhelm Ohio injection wells"

By Bob Downing
Published: January 22, 2013

..."Lutz said Pennsylvania generated about 20 million barrels (each holding 42 gallons) of wastewater in 2011. About 7 million barrels were shipped to Ohio injection wells.

Ohio is projecting that its injection wells handled nearly 14 million barrels in 2012, up from 12.8 million barrels in 2011. (Final figures have not been compiled). More than half of that volume came from Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Ohio cannot ban such wastes because they are interstate commerce protected under the U.S. Constitution. It is unknown exactly how much injection capacity the state can handle. "

Pennsylvania drilling wastes might overwhelm Ohio injection wells - Local - Ohio

**Does anyone know about this interstate commerce BS and that its constitutionally protected to dump waste in Ohio???

Of course. PA has been sending waste to Ohio for years. Last I knew, there were only 2 wells in PA. Check out the other method - wastewater treatment. The drilling companies send the waste water to plants where chemicals are added and then dumped in to the rivers because it is "safe".

Here is an example:
Fracking fluid from gas well drilling being treated at Ohio wastewater treatment plant | cleveland.com

The Youngstown/Greenville Earthquakes haven't been mentioned on this thread yet.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:30 AM

Hey bluecarebear, thanks for the link. I didn't know about that. So I did a further search. It seems that the Warren plant had to stop processing fracking poison for a while because they initially got their permit illegally. But then the oil & gas companies greased enough hands it would seem & they were back up & running in no time.

I also read that the resulting sludge from the processing is sold to Warren's composting company "Nature's blend." They're said to put this in their compost and sell it in stores like Giant Eagle. But I can't find a truly reliable link on this. I hope it isn't true.

I know one thing is true, if you didn't think our government was run by Big Business, the money that elects them, this is proof. If anyone else was poisoning our people & livestock & pets, or causing earthquakes, they would be deemed terrorists. But what do you do when the poisoning is government-sponsored? And they call you a terrorist if you object?

Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest. They just made it a felony in NC to disclose the toxic chemicals involved in fracking. Hard time for the crime of letting the public know what chemicals they could be exposed to.

Its not a proud time in our history.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 AM

What irks me is the attitude of the federal government towards the coal industry. Obama and others in office want to put the coal industry out of business but they turn a blind eye to fracking. So hypocritical. As you said, money and kickbacks rule.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Obama and others in office want to put the coal industry out of business but they turn a blind eye to fracking. So hypocritical.
The Greens/Green Party USA

Old 06-04-2014, 04:30 AM

The Green Party has good intentions, but they aren't a political force with our current system, which requires lots & lots of money.

And we need to cut carbon emissions from coal because its a huge contributor to climate change. The proposal by Obama is something, but it isn't enough. Then we also need India & China to do the same.

Gas & oil are finite, they won't last forever. Coal is more abundant, but it too will only last so long. And while they're here, carbon dioxide & methane(natural gas) trap heat in the atmosphere, so while we use them for our way of life, they are causing the earth to heat up. We're also killing the trees which help absorb the greenhouse gases and cool the planet. They just opened up part of the rainforest for gas exploration...

There have been 5 mass extinctions and some are predicting the 6th which will be the first caused by one of earth's species. The only species that realizes its actions today can alter the future.

We need to make fracking safer. Make coal cleaner. And all the while work towards making solar & wind energy our way of life. Biofuels. We can actually make natural gasoline from seaweed that is "fed" sugar. There's just not as much money in these right now, so there's no big push.

But we need to think into the future and not just the money to be made today, as the "intelligent" species. We need to radically change the way we get our energy, if not for preventing our own extinction, but because fossil fuels are going to go extinct for certain.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 AM

In my opinion, there is no "good" mining. Solar and wind is the way to go. Unfortunately, the "money" will never allow that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio