Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 02:25 PM

220 posts, read 330,437 times

Advertisements

These gas companies are brilliant. They buy some high level politicians(ie, Kasich), buy some ads & thus own the media, discredit those who are concerned, and Voila, they get carte blanche to destroy our land and then leave in 20 years when the gas is gone.

So now, those high up are planning on building a frackwaste port on the Ohio River. They didn't tell local officials or the local population. It is expected to bring in 105 million gallons of highly toxic, dangerous waste annually.

PA has 1000s of new wells coming online and only 5 deep injection wells as opposed to Ohio's 200+, plus they don't allow dumping in landfills. It has to go somewhere. Ohio is the lucky recipient...

We have Class II injection wells. They can be any type of well, like a gas well that didn't produce. There isn't much protection from it polluting surroundings. We're also the only state to allow putting the toxic waste directly in landfills. It was just approved recently by our republican legislature and governor in Ohio. They call it "down-blending." Just a small percentage of both types are over-seen. And no one knows how to treat radioactive waste or what it will do to the environment.

As one article I read put it, the gas industry is using Ohio as the Canary in the Coal mine...

Here's the article on the Portland waste port. Just one accident and the Ohio River is toast~

Group wants extended comment period for Ohio River dock proposal - The Athens Messenger: News

To learn more about Fracking,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEB_Wwe-uBM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 04:54 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
One day they're going to screw up so bad that someone with a very short fuse is going to go postal on the lot of them. If I where to loss a child due to the state leaders stupidity, I'm afraid they would get an equal amount of that poison back on them and their family.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:21 AM

Seriously, Earthbound!!

*I have a correction to make on my post above. When I first read "Greenhunter" was the Texas-based business with plans to build a radioactive fracking waste drop-off facility in Ohio, on a RIVER, I naively thought they just wanted to expand in this part of the country.

The thought that they might bring their toxic Texas waste all the way up here, endangering the entire Ohio River, briefly crossed my mind but I quickly dismissed it. Who would endanger the ecosystem of such a large river and the drinking water source of 5 million Americans besides terrorists?

The US Army Corps of Engineers, that's who. (& of course the un-green greenhunter ppl)

Toxic waste would come from Louisiana & Texas(man, I really wish they'd separate & become their own country!!)

Western Ohio Fracking Awareness Coalition : GreenHunter Seeks Barge Dock Permit for Shipping Fracking Wastewater

Old 07-13-2014, 09:00 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,146,011 times
It just shows how stupid and apathetic the people of Ohio are for permitting the politicians to do this. Lake Erie was let to be an environmental disaster in the 60's and it had an negative effect on national perception of Cleveland . Now we want to repeat the same disastrous policies for the Ohio River. I guess we deserve all the negative health effects and cancers that will impact upon us.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM

Apathy does run amok here. No question.

But I'd like to think things are changing some. I'm fuzzy on the details, but didn't the citizens of Ohio recently stop the US Army Corps of Engineers from dumping the toxic fracking waste illegally dumped into the Cuyahoga River into Lake Erie untreated? (I'm beginning to think some major idiots run the show at the Corps!)

And hopefully here, Ohioans will read the second article posted above and be moved to act to stop this. There's something we can all do.

I hope we do. Its pretty critical that this barge waste drop-off deal is stopped. This is a beautiful state with wonderful people. We deserve better!!!!!!

(And so do the people in the other states the waste will pass through, floating on their water.)

Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,839,699 times
Seven earthquakes shake Oklahoma in two days - CNN.com

Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the link fire. I love how they say they've had over 200 earthquakes so far this year, way more than California, and prior to fracking they had 2 earthquakes in 30 years. But they still don't know for sure if the earthquakes are caused by fracking!!!!

Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 AM

The Columbus Dispatch had an unusual article yesterday. Their investigative reporting showed something incredibly disturbing. The downblending, where they put radioactive and toxic waste directly in landfills isn't being overseen at all. No oversight in Ohio for incredibly toxic waste that shouldn't exist for one, but if it does it should be put far far underground in a steel casing...

They're literally poisoning us.

Ohio fracking water reuse questioned | The Columbus Dispatch

– Ohioans Wary Of Uses For ‘Recycled’ Radioactive Fracking Waste (VIDEO)

I really, really would love to know where these 27 approved toxic landfills are, along with most people I'd bet. If anyone know, please share!

Old 07-15-2014, 04:57 AM

Found em! 27 unregulated toxic waste landfills. 12 are in use-Coolville is one of them, and its also one along the Ohio River.

Ohio fracking water reuse questioned

Old 08-03-2014, 12:20 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Angry We're the new waste dump.

One day all heck is going to break loose and we're going to end up like those in the movie (Mad Max). A giant waste land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio