Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legal Marijuana in Ohio?
Yes 48 77.42%
Only Medical Marijuana 6 9.68%
No 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Just as a little anecdote, think about all of the families from Ohio who have to move to Colorado and leave a place they really like just so they can treat their children with medical marijuana when nothing else works, but it's barred in Ohio, and you can get into trouble by doing it. We are not New Jersey, and Chris Christie shall never touch our state. I think the three major Ohio counties (Cuyahoga, Franklin, Hamilton) counties are going to vote in favor in the case that we would happen to have this appear on the ballot, however, the rural Ohio counties are going to have a difficult time accepting it, such as conservative/republican & rural Holmes County, Ohio. And really it's because they're so secluded that they haven't met enough people who are actually in need of that type of treatment. They're too used to seeing things like marijuana destroy their youth and small towns. Plus, what else do rural police officers have to do other than drug busts?

If anything it is meth, and heroin that is wreaking havoc on people in rural areas! Cannabis is nowhere near destructive as those 2 substances, nor do I believe it is as destructive as alcohol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 AM

703 posts, read 871,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
If anything it is meth, and heroin that is wreaking havoc on people in rural areas! Cannabis is nowhere near destructive as those 2 substances, nor do I believe it is as destructive as alcohol!
Well, you're not going to convince a county full of bible-thumping conservatives that legalizing a drug like that would actually be a good idea.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Well, you're not going to convince a county full of bible-thumping conservatives that legalizing a drug like that would actually be a good idea.

Why not? I'm a Christian, libertarian/conservative, though not a bible thumper by any means, and I realize that cannabis was used for thousands of years for theraputic, and medicinal purposes along with it's cousin hemp for industrial purposes. It wasn't a problem until bureacracy and special interests got involved and pushed for prohibition fearing they would lose profit. See, part of the hypocrisy of so-called conservatives is that they claim they are for smaller government, except when it comes to what people choose to put in their bodies or what consenting adults do in their own bedrooms. At any rate prohibition of cannabis is and was always based on lies and propaganda. I cannot in good conscience support a war on a plant that does nothing but cause more harm, and criminalizes people for simply partaking in it, or possessing it.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:

Oh, it isn't about Bible thumping at all.

Its about statism. Bigger government, nanny state tell us what to do government, government knows best types. You can't buy a 32oz. soft drink types. You need a permit to have a chicken in your yard types. Guns kill people types. They are found on both sides of the aisle, although, statist Demorats have tendency to put aside their core objectives now and then for a possible voting constituency, like legalization, that will like them if they go with the flow and support the movement of the day.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

Its about statism. Bigger government, nanny state tell us what to do government, government knows best types. You can't buy a 32oz. soft drink types. You need a permit to have a chicken in your yard types. Guns kill people types. They are found on both sides of the aisle, although, statist Demorats have tendency to put aside their core objectives now and then for a possible voting constituency, like legalization, that will like them if they go with the flow and support the movement of the day.
Yep.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Why not? I'm a Christian, libertarian/conservative, though not a bible thumper by any means, and I realize that cannabis was used for thousands of years for theraputic, and medicinal purposes along with it's cousin hemp for industrial purposes. It wasn't a problem until bureacracy and special interests got involved and pushed for prohibition fearing they would lose profit. See, part of the hypocrisy of so-called conservatives is that they claim they are for smaller government, except when it comes to what people choose to put in their bodies or what consenting adults do in their own bedrooms. At any rate prohibition of cannabis is and was always based on lies and propaganda. I cannot in good conscience support a war on a plant that does nothing but cause more harm, and criminalizes people for simply partaking in it, or possessing it.
Yes, and you are more than likely education on this subject. Many in general, especially in rural areas, are not going to be educated very well on these topics to make a sound decision, unfortunately. Ohio is a swing state, fortunately, but that's only speaking in terms of the PEs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

No, I don't see the majority of conservative Ohio counties allowing this. You are just going to have to hope for the votes of the three major counties, and Ashtabula County.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:35 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,902,097 times
Quote:
The intense effort to kill the use of natural drugs like pot has led to the new synthetic drug industry where the ingredients aren't illegal till they get in close enough proximity that it's obvious they are going to be used to make things like meth and spice.

I would categorize "real" ( uncut, unaltered ) heroin as way less harmful than meth. Meth is physically ruinous. "real" heroin just causes severe dependence and constipation, actually. It's fixable.

I didn't do heroin as a teen because I was properly educated.

If the natural narcotics like heroin and cocaine and pot were legal, the problem with synthetic drugs like meth and spice would go away. The question is whether the overall problem would be smaller. Another question is whether violence and robbery and burglary would go down enough to make it worthwhile to decriminalize the natural stuff.

If heroin was legal and someone was clueless enough to get hooked on it, that person could be brought back into society by putting them through detox. The problem with illegal heroin is it's profitable to cut it with anything that looks like the real thing. When the addict is used to some regular dose that's cut with other stuff and they, by chance, find a pure batch, there is risk of overdose and death.

Not that it's ever going to happen, but heroin should also be legal. Having it be illegal is doing nothing to keep it from kids. Making it legal doesn't mean anyone it saying "it's OK" it means the individual is responsible for their own health, like cigarettes and alcohol.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
The intense effort to kill the use of natural drugs like pot has led to the new synthetic drug industry where the ingredients aren't illegal till they get in close enough proximity that it's obvious they are going to be used to make things like meth and spice.

I would categorize "real" ( uncut, unaltered ) heroin as way less harmful than meth. Meth is physically ruinous. "real" heroin just causes severe dependence and constipation, actually. It's fixable.

If the natural narcotics like heroin and cocaine and pot were legal, the problem with synthetic drugs like meth and spice would go away. The question is whether the overall problem would be smaller. Another question is whether violence and robbery and burglary would go down enough to make it worthwhile to decriminalize the natural stuff.

If heroin was legal and someone was clueless enough to get hooked on it, that person could be brought back into society by putting them through detox. The problem with illegal heroin is it's profitable to cut it with anything that looks like the real thing. When the addict is used to some regular dose that's cut with other stuff and they, by chance, find a pure batch, there is risk of overdose and death.

Not that it's ever going to happen, but heroin should also be legal. Having it be illegal is doing nothing to keep it from kids. Making it legal doesn't mean anyone it saying "it's OK" it means the individual is responsible for their own health, like cigarettes and alcohol.
You took the interpretation of the statement in a different direction. He was referring to the drug in terms of rural opinions and destruction.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post

Great analysis ID! Have to agree. The more stuff out there under FDA regulation, the more likely people will be better educated and smarter about how they choose to poison themselves and drain their pocketbooks

Old 12-25-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Great analysis ID! Have to agree. The more stuff out there under FDA regulation, the more likely people will be better educated and smarter about how they choose to poison themselves and drain their pocketbooks
Neither of which they should be doing in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio