Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times

Advertisements

I've noticed this many times before, and again this weekend. Ohio drivers stay in the left hand lane far longer than those of any other state I've been in. We drove from New York State, through PA. Except for the occasional non-passer, the left hand lane was used to pass other vehicles. When we got into Ohio, there were always more vehicles in the left hand lane than the middle or right lane.

When we got to KY, normality returned.

An Ohio driver might see a car on the horizon, three miles away, and figures he's gaining on him maybe 10 yards a minute. So he gets in the left hand lane, thinking he's going to pass him in a half-hour or three hours. After all, it's the passing lane and that's what he's doing: passing. Eventually. God forbid he should ever get trapped behind a slower driver and actually have to wait to get around him!

Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 03:54 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
^Sorry, sometimes I do this for fun.

Once I drove from Indy to Dayton, stayed in the left lane and went right around the speed limit through eastern Indiana outside of the Indy metro. Unless someone in the right lane was going faster than me, then I would keep pace with them within reason. It's a sick, cruel enjoyment to see people want to get around you for miles and miles but have no way to do so... but yet it's a lot of fun! Guess its my southern Ohio passive aggressive nature showing its true colors.

Anyways, that's probably my worst offense related to this thread. Best of luck dealing with us Ohioan drivers the next time you're back.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:07 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,903 times
Every driver in Ohio feels they have the right to be in the left lane. Doesnt matter how fast they are going, 1 below the speed limit or 30 above. They are extremely obstinant and wont move.

I made these observations back in the 1980s by the way, when the speed limit was 55 and I liked to go close to 70. So this is nothing new. Also not exclusive to Ohio I saw it in every state - and still do.

What I did back then, gave em 3 seconds if they didnt move I pass them on the right.

What I do now, I drive the same speed 68 or so, but now this makes me one of the slower drivers. So I just watch the madness from the right lane.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Ohio drivers are pretty bad but not as bad as the ones in MA and NY and NJ.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:28 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post

Once I drove from Indy to Dayton, stayed in the left lane and went right around the speed limit through eastern Indiana outside of the Indy metro. Unless someone in the right lane was going faster than me, then I would keep pace with them within reason. It's a sick, cruel enjoyment to see people want to get around you for miles and miles but have no way to do so... but yet it's a lot of fun! Guess its my southern Ohio passive aggressive nature showing its true colors.

Anyways, that's probably my worst offense related to this thread. Best of luck dealing with us Ohioan drivers the next time you're back.
And as far as those people who do get by you are concerned, their middle finger is not a way of waving hello.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:20 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post

Was that you that followed us to Ashtabula? I'd pass him (on the right, of course), after he speeded up to prevent me. He'd drop back, then pass me a mile later. When I slowed down to get off to Ashtabula, he slowed down too. In the left hand lane, of course. GOTERDONE, that was him. Some old POS Mustang, I think, hard to tell it was so beat.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:12 AM

224 posts, read 376,699 times
Troyfan, I drive at or below the speed limit and used to be very conscious of staying out of the left lane (or center, since a lot of my driving is on divided six-lane interstate around Cincinnati). As it turns out, the speeders are not nearly as courteous as you expect those driving legal speeds to be. Many times I have had difficulty getting left when trying to pass slow trucks, avoid heavy merging traffic areas or get out of the right lane as it becomes an exit only or ends in a construction zone. After a number of these encounters in which obstinate packs of fast drivers showed willingness to run me into stationary objects rather than allow me to change lanes, I opted for a different approach. Now instead of waiting for the last minute I will start looking well in advance and get over when a safe gap presents itself. This might keep me in the left lane holding you up for a mile or two, but unfortunately the rude lawbreakers who came before you wore out my goodwill.

But I will say sorry for the inconvenience.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:16 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Ohio drivers follow this practice into other states. Many of the left lane hogs in Michigan have Ohio license plates. What is so difficult about "slower traffic keep right"? If you want to snooze, do that on your couch at home and not on the freeway.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Was that you that followed us to Ashtabula? I'd pass him (on the right, of course), after he speeded up to prevent me. He'd drop back, then pass me a mile later. When I slowed down to get off to Ashtabula, he slowed down too. In the left hand lane, of course. GOTERDONE, that was him. Some old POS Mustang, I think, hard to tell it was so beat.
haha nope I keep my terrorizing ways to the southwest corner of the state!

In all seriousness, normally I'm not very passive aggressive when I drive, but if someone peeves me off on the road, I will use tactics like this to get under their skin.

Although I'm normally slightly less subtle about it. I pace people. If they want in, and they peeved me off before NOPE!! Not gonna happen. Or at least not for a mile or two. I want them to get the message that they did something stupid. Same goes for people driving aggressively or recklessly. I'm not letting them get past me. They can slow down - it'll give them more time to think about their stupidity.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Ohio drivers follow this practice into other states. Many of the left lane hogs in Michigan have Ohio license plates. What is so difficult about "slower traffic keep right"? If you want to snooze, do that on your couch at home and not on the freeway.
Nope, those people are probably being passive aggressive drivers. They are telling you to slow down and stop endangering people.

Or maybe they are like me and just having some fun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio