Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,013 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am going to begin working in Mansfield at Lahm airport in Oct. and am looking for a place to live. I am also willing to commute around 30 mins each way if need be. Any ideas on where to start or where to stay away from? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound180 View Post
Hello all,
I am going to begin working in Mansfield at Lahm airport in Oct. and am looking for a place to live. I am also willing to commute around 30 mins each way if need be. Any ideas on where to start or where to stay away from? Thanks guys.
It depends what you're looking for in a residence.

So apart from Mansfield neighborhoods, of which I have little familiarity, you could commute from the Lucas, Perrysville, or Loudonville areas in the Mohican Region, which has two popular state parks -- the unique Malabar Farm and Mohican State Parks, as well as Pleasant Hill Lake.

Ashland, which has a small, private university, is about 20 minutes from the airport. Shelby is another possibility. There are several small villages, such as Lexington and Jeromesville, some more charming than others. Ashland would be most convenient if you wanted to visit attractions regularly in Cleveland. It would be just over an hour from downtown Cleveland, barring bad weather, traffic delays.

Use Google images to check out communities.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
know area too well.. certainly would not recommend Jeromesville, Shelby unless you are the farming kind of folk, probably a little the same in Ashland. Doesn't feel like your typical college town. If you are into outdoors, lake activities, snow skiing Lucas, Malabar Farm, Mohican area might be worth a check. Very much into country but 15 minutes from I-71. Snow Trails Ski resort is near this area and is a nice asset. Lexington is nice area near Clearfork Lake and the area most families move to, very good schools, Ontario is 2nd for mainly schools. I grew up in Mansfield. The people that I knew that stayed are mainly attnys, doctors or own a business. You can get nice housing for half you would spend in more popular areas. There really is not much middle class in Mansfied proper, mainly the haves and have nots. If schools are important I would stay out of Mansfield. This city was great when I was growing up. Schools tops, lots of great industry. Probably had more millionaires per capita back in the 40s than anywhere in OH and beyond....probably the reason you can by an old mansion for under $200k..

Old 08-05-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
know area too well.. certainly would not recommend Jeromesville, Shelby unless you are the farming kind of folk, probably a little the same in Ashland. Doesn't feel like your typical college town. If you are into outdoors, lake activities, snow skiing Lucas, Malabar Farm, Mohican area might be worth a check. Very much into country but 15 minutes from I-71. Snow Trails Ski resort is near this area and is a nice asset. Lexington is nice area near Clearfork Lake and the area most families move to, very good schools, Ontario is 2nd for mainly schools. I grew up in Mansfield. The people that I knew that stayed are mainly attnys, doctors or own a business. You can get nice housing for half you would spend in more popular areas. There really is not much middle class in Mansfied proper, mainly the haves and have nots. If schools are important I would stay out of Mansfield. This city was great when I was growing up. Schools tops, lots of great industry. Probably had more millionaires per capita back in the 40s than anywhere in OH and beyond....probably the reason you can by an old mansion for under $200k..
A visit to those rural Ohio villages is interesting. E.g., I don't believe Jeromesville has home mail delivery. Everybody in town has a P.O. Box at the little post office, or at least I'm told that was the way things still worked there a decade ago. I believe it does have a pizza parlor and a small grocery store. I doubt that the persons there are farm folk. It has a decent school district and housing is very cheap, so persons commute even to Mansfield and Wooster areas, as well as Ashland. I don't know if the town has a bar, but it does have a funeral home and furniture store!

As I said, it might not be your cup of tea.

Ashland University is one of the most conservative universities in Ohio, perhaps explaining why it's not your typical university town.

Do you have kids or are the quality of the public schools an issue?

Old 08-05-2015, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
A visit to those rural Ohio villages is interesting. E.g., I don't believe Jeromesville has home mail delivery. Everybody in town has a P.O. Box at the little post office, or at least I'm told that was the way things still worked there a decade ago. I believe it does have a pizza parlor and a small grocery store. I doubt that the persons there are farm folk. It has a decent school district and housing is very cheap, so persons commute even to Mansfield and Wooster areas, as well as Ashland. I don't know if the town has a bar, but it does have a funeral home and furniture store!

As I said, it might not be your cup of tea.

Ashland University is one of the most conservative universities in Ohio, perhaps explaining why it's not your typical university town.

Do you have kids or are the quality of the public schools an issue?
I do have kids, but they are 2 and 8 months so I'm not worried about schools at the moment. In the future, of course, but mainly just looking for a safe place with some things to do.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound180 View Post
I do have kids, but they are 2 and 8 months so I'm not worried about schools at the moment. In the future, of course, but mainly just looking for a safe place with some things to do.
When you say "things to do," do you have anything in mind?

There's one advantage to living with young kids halfway between Cleveland and Columbus; they both have pretty good zoos, much better than in many other cities in the U.S., and they are somewhat different.

Loudonville also is the center of family canoeing in Ohio. When you can stand in the river, it's pretty safe, but still an adventure for toddlers in life jackets.

My hunch is that Ashland may offer more things like a good YMCA for swimming lessons to water proof your kids, Wal-Mart, etc., but you'll have to check that out.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:03 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
I remember new condos over by Meijer, and the nice old money homes are in the Lexington Ave. area. I don't know anything else about housing in Mansfield.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I remember new condos over by Meijer, and the nice old money homes are in the Lexington Ave. area. I don't know anything else about housing in Mansfield.
Meijer would be a good store to live near. If you visit Ohio before making your decision, visit one. It's a Midwest regional competitor of Wal-Mart and Target, and many persons think it is better. E.g., I know someone who thinks they sell superb seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio