Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Those who don't know anything about the people for whom they are voting get exactly what they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 05:15 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
In this day and age there is no reason to cast an uninformed vote.

Project Vote Smart - The Voter's Self Defense System

Vote411.org | Vote411.org

Old 11-06-2015, 07:30 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
I'm actually shocked that turnout in Franklin County was above 40% for an off-year election cycle.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:45 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
WHY DO THEY LEAVE THIS CRITICAL PIECE OF INFORMATION OFF THE BALLOT?!
Local elections in Ohio are non-partisan.

East Coast folks cannot understand that. But really, it's preferable this way. Do you really care which party your school board members belong to, if any? Does it really matter?

Have you figured out how to declare which party you want to be a member of yet? That ought to blow your mind

Quote:
That is absurd. Everyone should not expected to study up on EVERY single candidate.
What's absurd is that you just made that statement.

Quote:
Almost everyone votes across party affiliation anyway.
You should move to Pennsylvania, where voters still can press one button to vote the party line.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

That's what's really absurd.

Quote:
WHY would it be so bad to show their party affiliation?!
Because, for local elections, it's just not necessary.

Quote:
Basically, the state of Ohio is trying to control how people vote, by not showing the party affiliation. Totally absurd. NONE of the states on the east coast do this. To me, coming from the east coast, it feels like blatant voter suppression, which Ohio has a long history of, unfortunately.
Are you for real?

What Ohio is doing is allowing its local candidates to concentrate on issues and concerns rather than on pulling the party line. If you can't understand that, you really should stay away from the ballot box.

Quote:
But for some voters, the party affiliation is enough information to make a voting decision, and there is nothing wrong with that. In general, one party is pro-life, the other is pro-choice. One party is pro-gay rights, the other party is anti-gay rights. One party is for less government, the other is for more government. You see what I'm saying?
Yes, what you're saying is that you're terribly confused about what matters when it comes to selecting the people to represent you. Does it matter if a school board member is pro-life? Those decisions don't come up in the business of running the school district. Instead, you need to concentrate on what that school board member thinks about academics, budgeting, discipline, student life, and giving the school children the best education possible within the school's budget.

The lack of voter education these days is so disgusting! Ugh ...

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 11-06-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 PM

90 posts, read 111,034 times
As others have said, the election for Mayor of Columbus, City Council, etc, are all officially "non-partisan."

That said, for those races specifically, it doesn't really matter much in the end because Republicans never win and basically don't even compete.

The spring primary for Mayor had 4 candidates, 3 Ds and 1 R. The two highest vote-getters, regardless of political affiliation (2 Ds in this case), moved on to the general election.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I have not seen any rational arguments in this thread as to why the party affiliation should be left off the ballot (if there is one). I like it better in Connecticut and other states where they show the damn party affiliation, no questions asked. The Ohio voting process is absurd.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:12 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
I have not seen any rational arguments in this thread as to why the party affiliation should be left off the ballot (if there is one). I like it better in Connecticut and other states where they show the damn party affiliation, no questions asked. The Ohio voting process is absurd.
So leave Ohio.

Or, you could educate yourself on the people running, make educated votes and help the system as a whole by being an informed voter.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:46 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
What is appalling about the system is it makes no difference is you made an effort to educate yourself, worked hard in life, made all the right choices, researched all the candidates and issues or if you are a high school dropout that can't hold down a job and spend every night getting wasted and watch cartoons with a talking large order of fries - your votes count exactly the same.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:02 AM

245 posts, read 333,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
What is appalling about the system is it makes no difference is you made an effort to educate yourself, worked hard in life, made all the right choices, researched all the candidates and issues or if you are a high school dropout that can't hold down a job and spend every night getting wasted and watch cartoons with a talking large order of fries - your votes count exactly the same.
This is not a major worry for me as the person you describe rarely registers let alone makes the effort to vote.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:26 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
Quote:
I just moved to Ohio (Franklin County) four months ago and today I went to the polls to cast my vote.

To my surprise, the ballot does NOT even show which party affiliation each candidate is part of. I was confused and immediately asked for help with one of the voting agents in the room I asked her, "umm....how do I know which party each person is affiliated with??" She said, "oh, it doesn't really show that." I said, " well that's pretty F'd up and unusual...in other states, they show the party."

I had to ignore NUMEROUS votes, because I had absolutely NO idea of each candidates ideology. When I got to the vote for mayor, they STILL didn't show the party affiliation. I had to freekin' stand there on my phone googling his name to find out what party he is with.

WHY DO THEY LEAVE THIS CRITICAL PIECE OF INFORMATION OFF THE BALLOT?!

Back in Connecticut, the ballot was organized by political party, so that you at least had SOME idea of who you're voting for.

In my opinion, this is a form of voter suppression/confusion, especially for those who are newcomers to Ohio or who may not be familiar with someone's name on the ballot, but generally wants to vote to reflect their own party affiliation.

I will be writing to the Franklin County Board of Elections to tell them that this is absurd and needs to change.
Actually nep321, I agree with you. Whether someone's a Democrat or Republican gives voters an insight into how they think, and how they may handle the position they are running for. There's very little information to find on the internet or elsewhere for some of the candidates despite what some people have posted in this thread. I'm a native Ohioan but have lived in several different states or territories, and have felt its a better process when knowing a candidate's political party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: