Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,850,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So these long time voters never opened a bank account, went to a hospital, never cashed a check, flew on a plane, never drove, got a loan? They have no utility bill?

Not even close to Jim Crow.
FYI, I worked for a long while with seniors and many seniors I worked with did not have bank accounts. They went to hospitals but you haven't always needed to have an ID to go to the hospital. Many of them never flew on a plane. Many of the older women actually never drove (my great grandmother never had a driver's license and never drove). Many of them cannot qualify for a loan (I worked with poor seniors for a property management company that provided public housing to seniors). The ones I worked with did not have utility bills since they lived in public housing and didn't have to pay utility bills, many of them stayed in senior housing for 20+ years starting at age 60-65.

IMO voter ID stuff is silly and it is silly that media has convinced many Americans that voter fraud is an actual, huge problem. Studies have shown it occurs in 1% of the population of an election. That is trivial IMO to all of the sudden make people jump through all sorts of hoops to vote.

Not sure why you brought up Jim Crow, but I will mention that during the Jim Crow era localities and states placed specific requirements on voting in an effort to make eligible voters less inclined to vote and that is one of the reasons IMO that legislators have jumped on the additional voting requirement bandwagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 PM

466 posts, read 1,063,833 times
Smile Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I didn't click on the article, but I'm assuming it has to do with gerrymandering. Both parties have done so in the past. Wish my memory was better on it but it seems there was something on the primary ballot regarding having a commission draw the districts so they would be fair to both sides. Or maybe it was a proposed bill, I don't recall exactly.
Why do you write here when you don't remember anything? Nothing better to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio