Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Ohio State replace Thad Matta as its basketball coach?
No, keep Matta, he'll bring the program back 1 7.14%
Yes, it's time to face the music and dump Matta 4 28.57%
Give Matta one more season 3 21.43%
Don't care 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:58 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times

Advertisements

People who were around for the tail end of Fred Taylor's career, the Eldon Miller years, most of the Gary Williams years, the Randy Ayers years, and the tail end of Jim O'Brien's teams of scrubs appreciate what we have in Matta. It's too early to cut him loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 PM

135 posts, read 183,754 times
WRNative, I couldn't help noticing that three of UNC's starters tonight are from the state of North Carolina.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:20 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbelt View Post
WRNative, I couldn't help noticing that three of UNC's starters tonight are from the state of North Carolina.
Unlike Matta, Roy Williams probably has a moat around NC and cherry picks his state's talent.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:57 AM

Hard to say, because the state of NC produces more talent than one team can take, and there are several other high-profile basketball schools in the state. But it certainly is an interesting data point. Roy certainly seems to build a base, even though he has the profile to recruit nationally. Interesting.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Keep in mind Duke's (one and done) Giles and Ingram came from NC. Williams does a masterful recruiting job in in getting high 4 star and low 5 star recruits that are not ready to go to NBA after their freshman year and the player get better sticking around 2-3 years. Duke and KY has been getting the top HS players that go to school with idea of going to NBA after freshman year.
My son plays on Carolina's JV team so he is enjoying the ride, gets to sit behind team at games..will get tryout for varsity.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Default Another BB player to transfer from the Buckeyes team

Ohio State Redshirt Sophomore Center Dave Bell to Transfer | Eleven Warriors

Old 04-10-2017, 02:42 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Matta needs to go...his back has taken it's toll on him and he no longer is able to recruit or develop at the level he used to. When things were rolling, he brought in big time recruits like Conley, Oden, Cook, Sullenger, Craft, Thomas, Koufos and others. Also, development has all but stopped. Nobody improves...in fact they digress.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Lyle, Thompson now gone

Prospects for the Ohio State basketball program look very bleak, with both JaQuan Lyle and Trevor Thompson reportedly not expected back for the 2017-18 season, and only nine scholarship players on the roster.

With JaQuan Lyle gone, Ohio State basketball is losing another off-season, and that's a problem: Doug Lesmerises | cleveland.com

The de-commitment of Ohio scholastic star Darius Bazley and his negative comments about Matta's program are another body blow to the program.

<<“Ohio State, they didn’t make the NCAA Tournament this year,” Bazley said. “They didn’t even make the NIT, which is unfortunate, but I looked into the recruits they have coming into next year, they didn’t look too good for the future. So I felt like when my class came in, yeah, we would’ve been OK, but good enough to make the tournament? I don’t know. I just felt as if I was to de-commit, actually take my time, figure everything out it would just be a lot better.”>>

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170...de-path-to-nba

Old 05-14-2017, 06:02 PM

Default Poof

No players are left on the Buckeyes basketball roster from the fifth-ranked 2015 recruiting class.

After JaQuan Lyle's Departure, Zero Members of Ohio State's Once Highly-Touted 2015 Recruiting Class Remain | Eleven Warriors

Likely roster for coming season:

With JaQuan Lyle No Longer in the Fold, What Comes Next For Ohio State Basketball? | Eleven Warriors

Old 05-15-2017, 08:38 AM

I thought of this thread when I heard the news. It, uh, doesn't look good for Matta. I love the guy, but it's getting harder and harder to see him staying at Ohio State. The only reason he's going to be back next year, at this point, is because it's too late to fire him and bring someone else in. Gotta think he's a dead man walking. That's too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio