Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times

Advertisements

Best way I could think to phrase the question. Before the last general election I watched a documentary, believe it was called As Goes Ohio, it was on PBS. It got me intrigued with southeastern Ohio. Which got me to thinking, when I'm in a position to travel a little again, I'd like to visit places in Ohio to get to know my state better. Which got me to wondering where others who live in Ohio would prefer to visit or take a vacation in our great state.

Being from NW Ohio I probably saw more of Michigan on trips than I did Ohio. Back then we did go to Cedar Point every couple years, went camping mostly when I was a small child (not sure where in Ohio), went to King's Island once, and as an adult went to see the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton in the early 90's. Outside of that have mostly just visited historic places in my part of the state when I was a kid. So I have a lot of choices if I want to visit parts of Ohio I've never been to. I have been to Columbus to visit family friends, again as a kid, and also went to Cleveland when I had to go to the MEPS center when joining the military, so I did travel to those cities even though I didn't really get to experience them.

Personally, I'm more interested in experiencing smaller towns, historic sites, and national or state parks. Curious where others here either enjoy going to or would like to visit for the first time. Those who don't live in Ohio but spend time here or would like to visit certain places in the state are welcome to add their comments.

It's possible there was a discussion about this in the past but I didn't find one doing a search. Doesn't matter, I'm curious about what people think today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 06:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Best way I could think to phrase the question. Before the last general election I watched a documentary, believe it was called As Goes Ohio, it was on PBS. It got me intrigued with southeastern Ohio. Which got me to thinking, when I'm in a position to travel a little again, I'd like to visit places in Ohio to get to know my state better. Which got me to wondering where others who live in Ohio would prefer to visit or take a vacation in our great state.

Being from NW Ohio I probably saw more of Michigan on trips than I did Ohio. Back then we did go to Cedar Point every couple years, went camping mostly when I was a small child (not sure where in Ohio), went to King's Island once, and as an adult went to see the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton in the early 90's. Outside of that have mostly just visited historic places in my part of the state when I was a kid. So I have a lot of choices if I want to visit parts of Ohio I've never been to. I have been to Columbus to visit family friends, again as a kid, and also went to Cleveland when I had to go to the MEPS center when joining the military, so I did travel to those cities even though I didn't really get to experience them.

Personally, I'm more interested in experiencing smaller towns, historic sites, and national or state parks. Curious where others here either enjoy going to or would like to visit for the first time. Those who don't live in Ohio but spend time here or would like to visit certain places in the state are welcome to add their comments.

It's possible there was a discussion about this in the past but I didn't find one doing a search. Doesn't matter, I'm curious about what people think today.
Since you haven't been to Cleveland in a long time it is definitely worth a visit to see all the positive changes. Spend a couple days exploring the city such as the museums ,restaurants ,lakefront or maybe even catch an Indians game. Then head east out of the city and unwind at mentor headlands beach/park for a few hours and then chill out at the Geneva lodge on the lakefront (beach and pools). They have shuttles to the wineries around the area.Things to Do in Cleveland OH | Attractions, Entertainment, Nightlife
Ohio Resort Hotel | The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake

Old 06-11-2017, 06:48 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
I just took a vacation to northeast Ohio. 9 days wasn't enough for all the stuff I wanted to do.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Since you haven't been to Cleveland in a long time it is definitely worth a visit to see all the positive changes. Spend a couple days exploring the city such as the museums ,restaurants ,lakefront or maybe even catch an Indians game. Then head east out of the city and unwind at mentor headlands beach/park for a few hours and then chill out at the Geneva lodge on the lakefront (beach and pools). They have shuttles to the wineries around the area.Things to Do in Cleveland OH | Attractions, Entertainment, Nightlife
Ohio Resort Hotel | The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
Thanks for the info. I listen, well used to listen, to Tony Rizzo's sports program in WKNR and he mentioned when people visit Cleveland they are surprised by how nice it is. Any city is going to have it's bad points, and unfortunately people from other parts of the country like to rag on places they've never been to like Cleveland or my city of Toledo. Heck, I've even heard people from Cleveland rag on Toledo.

One of the things I remember about Cleveland was the day I left the MEPS facility to catch a flight to Orlando for basic training, I was on train that took us from downtown to the airport. The other guys with me had gotten seats next to each other, after I sat down a beautiful Cleveland girl sat down next to me.

Have to admit I'm more of a country loving, big outdoor space type of guy that has been stuck in the city most of my life. But I would like to visit Cleveland at some point, maybe to see a Browns game when I could also visit some of the sites there.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:35 PM

389 posts, read 330,232 times
Air force museum. While you are there Dayton has a surprising number of historic things to visit.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:07 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
I always liked going through the small towns in southeast Ohio, they have not had to suffer the sprawl of cookie cutter McMansions and soulless strip malls, these little towns are trapped in time and give a fairly accurate insight how life used to be like. Many of these areas tend to be economically depressed and may not have a lot of fancy things but that never bothered me.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:11 PM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
When I lived in Ohio, things I did and places I visited included, organized by region:

Northeast Ohio:
-Covered Bridge Tours/Exploring: Ashtabula
-Swimming at Headlands Beach (Mentor), Geneva State Park (Geneva), Edgewater Park(Cleveland)
-Someone already mentioned the Wineries in Geneva (Ferrante sp?, Debonne, etc.)
-Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Brecksville
-Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland
-Cleveland Museum of Art
-James A. Garfield NHS (20th President of USA), Mentor
-Terminal Tower Observation Deck, Cleveland

Northwest Ohio:
-Perry's Victory & International Peace Memorial, Put-in-Bay
-Cedar Point Amusement Park, Sandusky
-Kalahari Indoor Water Park, Sandusky

Central Ohio: (Limited visits)
-Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Columbus
-Hocking Hills State Park, Logan
-Camping and Cabins in Mohican State Park, Ashland County
-Amish Tourism, Holmes County
-Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument, Wilberforce

Southwest Ohio:
-Dayton Aviation Heritage NHP and Museum of the Airforce, Dayton
-William Howard Taft NHS, Cincinnati
-Cincinnati Museum Center
-King's Island Amusement Park, Mason
-Newport Aquarium (technically in Kentucky, but you can walk there from Cincinnati on pedestrian bridge)
-Riverbend (Outdoor Music Center)
-Coney Island, Cincinnati (Historic, old style amusement park)
-Kayaking on the Little Miami River

Southern/Southeastern Ohio:
-Camping and hiking within the Wayne National Forest, Portsmouth
-Edge of Appalachia Nature Preserve, West Union
-Bob Evans Farm, Gallipolis

Old 06-11-2017, 06:15 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Lake Erie Islands, for sure!

I'd also like to get back to Wooster (Holmes Co., Amish Country) and Hocking Hills.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:53 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Athens is the one place I want to visit in Ohio I've never been. Heard great things from friends and family. It's also in the vicinity of Hocking Hills so would make a nice two-day trip.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:45 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
The aviation history attractions in Dayton are the top attraction in the state IMO, especially for history buffs.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...The.World.html

Here's some information on Cleveland and northeast Ohio.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Cleveland.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio