Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 02:19 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

While Greater Painesville's Tripoint is a modern hospital with excellent facilities, it has faced staffing issues and competitive disadvantages competing with the Greater Cleveland duopoly of the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals systems.

Tripoint deficiencies likely will be remedied in the immediate years ahead as Lake Health, of which Tripoint is a part, just announced it is being acquired by University Hospitals.

https://lakehealth.org/lake-health-t...nt%20yesterday.

University Hospitals will want to upgrade Tripoint as fast as possible as the Cleveland Clinic plans to build a full service hospital a few miles west of Tripoint at the Route 615 exit of I-90 in Mentor. Cleveland Clinic expansion plans have been delayed due to the financial burden created by the COVID-19 epidemic, and it's possible that the UH acquisition of Lake Health may preempt the Clinic's plan to build in Mentor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 12,642 times
I am 64 (almost 65) years old. I grew up in the Cleveland suburb of Wickliffe, Ohio and moved to Fairport Harbor in late 1999. I moved here because I had always wanted to live in a very small town; I intend to stay here as long as I possibly can--the rest of my life, if possible. It took me a long time to get used to living in this village after having lived in a city, but believe me, it was worth it. Fairport Harbor is a very charming small town that suits me to a T. I live on the main street of the village and hear trucks and cars go by every now and then, but for the most part it is very quiet here which, again, suits me perfectly. I am a quiet person by nature and appreciate the lack of loud noises. I give this town an honest A+ rating after having lived here 21 years; as I said, I intend to stay here as long as possible.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:12 AM

156 posts, read 174,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhs560 View Post
I am 64 (almost 65) years old. I grew up in the Cleveland suburb of Wickliffe, Ohio and moved to Fairport Harbor in late 1999. I moved here because I had always wanted to live in a very small town; I intend to stay here as long as I possibly can--the rest of my life, if possible. It took me a long time to get used to living in this village after having lived in a city, but believe me, it was worth it. Fairport Harbor is a very charming small town that suits me to a T. I live on the main street of the village and hear trucks and cars go by every now and then, but for the most part it is very quiet here which, again, suits me perfectly. I am a quiet person by nature and appreciate the lack of loud noises. I give this town an honest A+ rating after having lived here 21 years; as I said, I intend to stay here as long as possible.
Omg, I love your post. Fairport Harbor is a very special place indeed, and still a relatively well kept secret of the Cleveland area.

I lived in the Cleveland area for 10 years, the first 5 in Fairport Harbor. I actually moved there from San Diego in the summer of 2007 after I got engaged to a girl out there who was from Canton, Ohio. Her parents were quite wealthy and they owned 2 properties in Fairport, right on 2nd street overlooking the lake. One of the homes at the time was occupied by her 94 year old grandmother. She was too old to live alone at that point so they moved her into their home in Canton; so when we moved to Fairport we took over her house and modernized it.

Some of the best memories of my life are from my time in Fairport. It's such a little gem of a town. I used to love the little Mardi Gras in summer festival they used to have in July. It's a very small town, but you have one of the best beaches in all of Cleveland there, and on top of that you're only a hop, skip and a jump away from Mentor, downtown Willoughby, 30 minutes to downtown Cleveland..etc.. Not to mention the little wine region that dots the lake Erie is only 15 - 20 minutes away.

What a great place!

The girl and I didn't work out and I ended up moving to University Heights to be closer to work, but I would always go back up to Fairport in the summer. So many great memories there. I ended up completely leaving the Cleveland area in 2017, but I still get back to visit now and then. The Cleveland area overall is a very, very underrated place.

Cheers.

Old 03-16-2021, 04:40 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Omg, I love your post. Fairport Harbor is a very special place indeed, and still a relatively well kept secret of the Cleveland area.

I lived in the Cleveland area for 10 years, the first 5 in Fairport Harbor. I actually moved there from San Diego in the summer of 2007 after I got engaged to a girl out there who was from Canton, Ohio. Her parents were quite wealthy and they owned 2 properties in Fairport, right on 2nd street overlooking the lake. One of the homes at the time was occupied by her 94 year old grandmother. She was too old to live alone at that point so they moved her into their home in Canton; so when we moved to Fairport we took over her house and modernized it.

Some of the best memories of my life are from my time in Fairport. It's such a little gem of a town. I used to love the little Mardi Gras in summer festival they used to have in July. It's a very small town, but you have one of the best beaches in all of Cleveland there, and on top of that you're only a hop, skip and a jump away from Mentor, downtown Willoughby, 30 minutes to downtown Cleveland..etc.. Not to mention the little wine region that dots the lake Erie is only 15 - 20 minutes away.

What a great place!

The girl and I didn't work out and I ended up moving to University Heights to be closer to work, but I would always go back up to Fairport in the summer. So many great memories there. I ended up completely leaving the Cleveland area in 2017, but I still get back to visit now and then. The Cleveland area overall is a very, very underrated place.

Cheers.

In counterpoint, Fairport Harbor is a Superfund site, the legacy of its chemical industry past.

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland...nt?oid=1501842

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cu...cfm?id=0504696

https://www.news-herald.com/news/eff...74ac7b31d.html

A Lake Health doctor recently told me that Fairport Harbor still has elevated cancer rates. I've never attempted to verify that fact.

As noted in the last two links, the federal EPA transferred responsibility for the Fairport Harbor clean-up to the IMO relatively lax Ohio EPA. Clean-up of the site still languishes decades after the problem was identified.

Coe Manufacturing in Painesville is discussed in the News-Herald link. Coe manufactured machinery, not chemicals.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:22 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
A Lake Health doctor recently told me that Fairport Harbor still has elevated cancer rates.
I believe it. I wonder if anyone really knows the whole of what Diamond dumped into the ponds, buried in the soil, and trickled into the lake. I moved to Painesville just after the plant closed; friends who lived in Fairport told some pretty horrific stories passed down from folks who'd worked at the plant. Driving past the site was downright creepy.

And 40 years later, you know those chemicals are still in the soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio