Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 08:49 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I moved to Ohio after 30 years in Texas, Wisconsin, Tennessee and New York. I've lived enough other places that I can appreciate Ohio's charms.

Earlier this month, I made my first visit to several places along the Lake Erie shore. What a great place to hang out and enjoy the weather and the water!
What's the difference between Ohio and the previous state you have lived?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 06:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
The grass is greener elsewhere (for me). I left 15 years ago and am now in my third state not named Ohio. I was/am happier in two of those states. I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever live in Ohio again. No amount of money could draw me back.

We went back to visit family over Labor Day weekend and my nine year old said it was terrible and asked how we ever lived there while driving through Maumee and Perrysburg.

My mom is planning her escape next month. My sister left about 14 years ago. My dad and one aunt are the only family members left out of their family of nine. They all left Ohio after college.

I'm glad some people enjoy it but clearly not my family.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
What's the difference between Ohio and the previous state you have lived?
It has a harsher winter than Texas and Tennessee and a gentler winter than New York and Wisconsin. It has far fewer hot days than South Texas.

The population is more dense, on average, than in Texas. Texas has a lot of lightly inhabited, rural areas. Ohio has more large cities within a 2-1/2-hour drive of the center of the state.

Most of our extended family lives in Ohio, so we can see them more often.

I'm happy to be back!

Old 11-10-2019, 08:21 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
The grass is greener elsewhere (for me). I left 15 years ago and am now in my third state not named Ohio. I was/am happier in two of those states. I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever live in Ohio again. No amount of money could draw me back.

We went back to visit family over Labor Day weekend and my nine year old said it was terrible and asked how we ever lived there while driving through Maumee and Perrysburg.

My mom is planning her escape next month. My sister left about 14 years ago. My dad and one aunt are the only family members left out of their family of nine. They all left Ohio after college.

I'm glad some people enjoy it but clearly not my family.

Toledo is only one small part of Ohio.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Ohio is sorely underrated, not least by Ohioans.

I mean, if you must have ready access to the beach, months on end of 100F days, steep mountains, or Broadway shows and Vietnamese takeout at 3am, you won't find it, fair enough. I myself am a wilderness guide and ski instructor which would make a career in Ohio difficult.

But if you are looking for dreamy, bucolic landscapes reminicent of Tolkien's shire, towns and villages with utterly charming 19th century architecture lining main streets brimming with Americana in its best sense, farmland that looks human scaled, not like monstrous agribusiness, comfortably sized big cities, with gorgeous settings on a Great Lake and great rivers, that have fun food and entertainment scenes, opportunities that are family friendly, but not creepily Puritanical, a surprising diversity of people in the cities, and a salt of the earth Midwest German farmer population in the country, and just a great location if you do want to get into rugged countryside, mega cities like NYC, or have a beach vacation, while not suffering the COL of actually making a living in those places, Ohio is pretty hard to beat.

Now, is when people will chime in about the addiction problems, the economic problems, the empty shops on those charming main streets, etc. like they aren't a problem in just about every corner of the country. That is the defeatist, poor me atitude that, sadly, has characterized certain Ohioans.

I am not from Ohio. I grew up in NYC, have lived in New Mexico for decades now, and have worked and studied abroad. I did live in a (widely mocked) small city in SW Ohio for a while and loved it. I decided it was not for me, in great part because it is too far from the types of environments my career requires, but if things were different I wouldn't mind settling in the state at all.

One of my retirement dreams would be to have a small hobby farm/permaculture/off-grid type setup with an old farmhouse and I can think of few places I would rather do that than the hinterlands of the Miami Valley. Rolling, wooded hills interspersed with small fams, and shooting distance to the entertainment, great beer, and great food of Cincinnati? Sounds good to me!

And though it is not fashionable to say so in Ohio, I like the other Cs, too. And the Appalachian region of SE Ohio is, outside of the Hocking Hills, an underappreciated gem. Tons of wild land out there. I have done a fair bit of backpacking in Wayne NF and Shawnee SP which proves you don't have to even coss the river or head out to the Alleghenies to feel like you are in remote wilderness in Ohio.

This turned into a bit more of a exposition than I meant it to, but the sad sack, Eeyore mentality I hear about Ohio is tiresome and ignorant.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:40 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Was going to make a post about Ohio

Just I hear healthcare is amazing

Cost of living is low

Weather is similar to New England States/New York

Traffic is non-existent

It is a haunted State

Has great food

Great school systems

Has awesome amusement parks and roller coasters

Heavy metal music festivals

Reninisance Faire

Haunted attractions and unique museums

Has zoos, museums, and aquariums

Close to major cities

Low cost housing market

Low rents

Low taxes

Higher education facilities

Football!!!

Old 11-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Toledo might as well be Michigan. Few Ohioans aspire to live in Michigan.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:10 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Gee, I didn't realize that. Thank you . But since you seem to need things spelled out specifically, I lived in Bowling Green, several different areas around Columbus, Athens, and Findlay. Oh, and I have family in Cleveland so I spent a significant amount of time there as well.

If nothing else, I'm glad I got away from the Ohio *******s.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Gee, I didn't realize that. Thank you . But since you seem to need things spelled out specifically, I lived in Bowling Green, several different areas around Columbus, Athens, and Findlay. Oh, and I have family in Cleveland so I spent a significant amount of time there as well.

If nothing else, I'm glad I got away from the Ohio *******s.
What does Milwaukee offer that cities in Ohio do not?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:07 PM

11,068 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
What does Milwaukee offer that cities in Ohio do not?
Objectively? Nothing. Subjectively? I'm sure he just likes the vibe better or has good friends there or any number of other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio