Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 04:04 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times

Advertisements

I've never been to the midwest and I'm astounded that you can buy a house in middle America for a few thousand dollars. So I was aimlessly looking at the real estate ads on craigslist in some distressed cities and found this for sale house.....
Nice fixer upper, can live in now. nice rental property (http://youngstown.craigslist.org/reo/840583168.html - broken link)

.....With one of the saddest ads I've ever read. Run down property, job uncertainty, ill health, and yet he still goes out to mow the grass every week.

This is his ad:

I have here a House for sale at 2510 Taylor St. in Youngstown Oh. This is a very well built house that is a great fixer upper. I bought this for my son and his wife when we thought that he would be moving to this area after his job started doing layoffs. when he arrived, we put $8000.00 in it in upgrades, new water meter, new plumbing, all new carpet, new dining room ceiling fan new bathroom vanity and medicine cabnet. A host of upgrades. Then, his job called him back and the house has been sitting empty for about 4 months now. I cut the lawn every week.

Now the house is livable now, but due to health reasons, I am forced to sell. It does need finished. it needs the new double bowl kitcheb sink hooked up and the water line to the sink ran. It also needs painted and maybe a new rug in the kitchen.
Some of the pictures taken in a couple of the rooms were befor carpet was added and also after. it has a 2 year old hot water tank, the furncase was installed in 02. it is a 2 bed room with large rooms. Now it was a 3 bedroom, but my son took out a wall diving two of the rooms to make a master bedroom, that also needs some drywall where the wall was. It has a large living room, large dining room and kitchen, it has a small breakfast nook off from the kitchen. It has a full size basement and a detached one car garage. only 2 house on this street and the neighbours are great working class people. it is very quiet with no traffic at all.
After my son left i had planned on finshing fixing the house up and list it as a rental, but due to my health problems, we are unable to do so. he was living in the house befor he left, that is why you see some furniture in some of the pictures. You will also notice the blue tape on the walls where we were in the process of painting when these photos were taken.
I do have over $20,000.00 invested in this house but I am listing it for a lot less for a quick sale. The buyer will be responciable for all closing cost or any cost associated with the sale. i was told that the taxes are $378.00 per year, I paid a little over $480.00 for closing when i bought it, I bought it for a lot more than I am asking for it so i am not sure if closing cost will be less or not.
I can be reached by email at ***** or call after noon at **** the house is avaiable for viewing anytime with prior notice. thanks for looking, Dale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
There are a lot of houses like this in the city. It was built for workers in the mills to live in. It may be well built, but it lacks the architectural character that so many other homes in the city have. This house also happens to be in a rather gritty/industrial part of the city. (I don't know how active that industry is. It's either operational and dirty, or empty and rusty.) Finally, the pictures make the property look nice and quiet, with lots of trees, but those trees are blocking a direct view of the highway. (680)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio