Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 03:00 PM

34 posts, read 77,968 times

Advertisements

Hey my name is Teddy, i been coming to this site on and off for some time now and i see a lot of people down talk Youngstown on here. Yes my city is not what it use to be 30 years ago and its alot of crime, but its slowly SLOWLY coming together. the city has been trying hard to change that and has made many new changes. especially downtown, i actually enjoyed myself downtown one night, many choices of bars and restaurants. Also Forbes.com recently ranked Youngstown, Ohio 4th among the best cities in the U.S. for raising a family. Then with Youngstown being at the front door of The Marcellus Shale bringing jobs back to the area i think the city will be fine, (not as it was 30 years ago of course)... before someone reply trust me i know the city still needs alot of improvement. And the way people talk about the city, i woulodnt want to visit or move here either. I know a lot of people that visit from bigger cities and enjoy their self alot (but thats because they weren't looking for work i guess) just read a few articles for your self:

Backyards leased for $5,000 an acre - Video - Business News

Marcellus Shale Gas Formation | Energy From Shale

Will Shale Gas Be the Single Solution to America's Energy Challenges? - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 AM

160 posts, read 644,307 times
i think shale might help reboot the mahoning valley??

Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I was in downtown Youngstown on a Friday or Saturday evening in recent months. There was actually a festival going on downtown, and many, many people were out and about on the streets. There were also several upscale bars and eateries open downtown, which were filled with young professional type people. I was very impressed!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I was in downtown Youngstown on a Friday or Saturday evening in recent months. There was actually a festival going on downtown, and many, many people were out and about on the streets. There were also several upscale bars and eateries open downtown, which were filled with young professional type people. I was very impressed!
My experiences exactly! We were on I believe Federal Avenue and there was a Middle Eastern Festival going on - very enjoyable.

Last week the weather was beautiful and we enjoyed an al fresco dinner in a nice cafe that offered a variety of craft beers and was very vegetarian friendly. The Lemon Garden I think?

Our son is enjoying the benefits of an urban University - walkable, diverse with many cultural and artisic offerings.

There are still some rough areas, and more to be done. But as an out of towner, Youngstown altogether impressed me, rather than depressed me.

We are moving outside the city, but we will visit frequently.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:24 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
A friend of mine lives in a lovely neighborhood in the city of Youngstown called Crandall Park. It is full of grand, well-maintained homes from the 1920s and 1930s. It reminded me of the Squirrel Hill neighborhood in Pittsburgh, except much, much more affordable!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times
A person can move to any new area and find many things to do. There is a lot to do in the Valley. It is when you live here for 50 or 60 years and the same things get old. After awhile all the festivals seem the same. Different bars, same people. The area has never had constant growth. Some people still don't think they need it.

Another thing that is common to the valley is that the people have known each other for ever. You knew their grandparents and now you know their grandchildren. It is not like places, mostly in the west, where most everyone came from somewhere else. Too many preconceived ideas about people in this area.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
I like that everyone knows everyone here. I know that's not for everyone, but even if we don't know each other I love that I can say certain things like, 1985, Black Monday, etc and everyone has lived it or is related to someone who has. I could never live in a very transient area..........

Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
I like Youngstown. Not from there originally, but the place has heart and some good architecture. A good University and access to two major cities.

Like most cities the schools aren't great - but the local elementary schools may be OK.

I enjoy visiting FL and the Carlinas but I am not a Southerner, with all that entails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio