Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 PM

954 posts, read 4,379,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorada
But my time now has come where my children are now growing up and I am looking forward in about 3 years to move to Asheville, SC.
Dude,

Better do a little more research. Asheville is in NC. I used to live 20 miles from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 PM

954 posts, read 4,379,439 times
I have a friend from Austintown. I have spent a couple of weeks there over time. Seems like a nice suburb.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:13 AM

976 posts, read 3,864,335 times
Ya Austintown is nice. Canfield, Boardman, etc. Youngstown has a lot of nice suburbs.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,216 times
Glasshouses,

YSU is a commuter school with a lot of non-traditional students there.As far as being older, you would have no problems fitting right in.Many of the younger students live at home and work part time, so there isn't a party mentality like at other schools.

Crime isn't bad on campus.You wouldn't want to live right off campus though,you'd be on the fringe of some serious poverty.Live in the suburbs,Canfield,Boardman,or Austintown and it's like any other middle class neighborhood,with just a 15 minute drive to school.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 AM

38 posts, read 347,323 times
Thanks everybody for the info. I may drive into Y w/in the next week or so. I'm looking at the houses for sale in the towns around Y and also Y itself on realtor . com. There is a wide range/styles/prices, etc.

Driving on to YSU and having a look around the surrounding area as well. Although, the crime is putting me off.

The other options are to look into Toledo and Columbus. Need to make a decision around October-November.

Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 AM

89 posts, read 372,464 times
I considered moving to Youngstown, until I took a tour of the town. I wasn't impressed at all. But I have to move up that way because of my husband's job. We just purchased a house in Warren. It seems to be a nice town. Maybe you should check out Warren, too.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:45 AM

976 posts, read 3,864,335 times
The west side of Youngstown isnt bad. A lot of people are making the whole city sound worse than it is. The west side has very nice houses for cheaper prices. You can check out Warren, but it is a far drive to YSU. Niles is another suburb you might want to check out.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:41 AM

35 posts, read 237,683 times
Talking YSU Alumni...

My wife and I both graduated from YSU in 2003. We both graduated with a B.S. in Biology and Chemistry. We both are currently less than a year away from receiving our Doctorate of Chiropractic degree from Palmer College in Davenport, IA. I would say that YSU gave us both a great education and prepared us very well for professional school. I know that YSU has a great science and education department, but I am not sure about other departments. However, I did not like the registrar or advisor departments on campus. They really couldn't care less who graduates or not. The leadership of Youngstown State University just wants money period. It is definitely a commuter school. You don't really get that "college" feel at this school unless you join the greek system, which both my wife and I were a part of. Personally, I had a great time at YSU, received a great education, and spent a fraction of the cost compared to other schools in Ohio. I guess that's good because my doctorate degree is costing me about $140,000. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:05 PM

38 posts, read 347,323 times
Thumbs up Ysu

Thanks for the info on your YSU experience. My situation is that I would be a commuter and an older student (not ancient, but over 30) and am looking for the college that will not overlook the older students in the crowd.

I definitely need a lower cost school; already have a bachelor's from a private college and can not afford to go that route again.

It may sound pathetic to some people, but I am hoping that gasoline costs stay low for a while, I am saving up my rebates to fill up a few times and make the drive to Y and back!! Gas is $2.69 today in town.

Anyway, I am going to drive to YSU and the area, probably w/in a week. I am also looking into U of Toledo. OSU in Columbus is just too big for me.

I read somewhere, can't remember (older brain here) and it was said that YSU was what you said, looking for money, although a good education- it really is a money mill for the administration. I think the forums on the Vindicator (Y's paper) said that the education was not up to par. However, those who wrote that didn't indicate whether they had actually attended YSU. As hard as it is, college courses can be what you make of them, despite the professor and his/her agenda.

I worked in college administration years ago in a different state, and a lot of the problem was bringing in high school graduates who were not educated enough to do basic freshman work. Also, many of the students I saw were on pell grants, scholarships, etc. for certain groups/quotas and athletes-in effect, not in college for an education, but for the hand out and the dream of going pro sports.

Thanks everybody for the YSU and Y info. I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio