Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM

279 posts, read 888,639 times

Advertisements

Hi all, My family would like to visit the Amish areas of Northern Ohio. The towns appear to be Berlin, Walnut Creek, Charm ect...... How commercialized are these areas?Any advice on places to stay? What else do you recommend seeing while in the area? We will be traveling from North Carolina with a 15, and 6 year old. How long would you allow to "see the area"? A few days,a week? Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 03:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,513,068 times
The last time we went, we stayed at a very nice B&B. I can't remember the name of it, but it was a farm house with a big back porch looking over a valley and pasture fields. Each room had a door to get out to the porch. I will see if I can find the name. Make sure you stop in at Lehman's Hardware while you are there.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:05 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,946,555 times
Do you want a more commercialized area? There are amish all over NE Ohio. Last night i was shopping at Sam's Club in Niles/Howland and there was a group of amish people shopping there. Who knew the Amish ate Lucky Charms. Anyway, northern Trumbull Co. has a decent sized Amish population. I always see them working construction, shopping at Walmart and shopping at garage sales. It's almost normal to see them once every week or two living around here. Middlefield and Mesopotamia are good places to see the amish, they even have a place to park the horse and buggy at Walmart in Middlefield.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 AM

279 posts, read 888,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Do you want a more commercialized area? There are amish all over NE Ohio. Last night i was shopping at Sam's Club in Niles/Howland and there was a group of amish people shopping there. Who knew the Amish ate Lucky Charms. Anyway, northern Trumbull Co. has a decent sized Amish population. I always see them working construction, shopping at Walmart and shopping at garage sales. It's almost normal to see them once every week or two living around here. Middlefield and Mesopotamia are good places to see the amish, they even have a place to park the horse and buggy at Walmart in Middlefield.
Hi Cortlandgirl,
No,I don't want a commercialized area. I'm looking for real Amish populations where you can stop at their roadside stand to buy fresh produce or visit their home workshop to see handmade furniture and various other crafts. I really admire the true Amish way of living and think the handmade things are a real treasure.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,946,555 times
I would check out Middlefield and Mesopotamia, maybe maybe Kinsman and some parts of Geagua County. I don't know any specifics about workshops or amish furniture. The area around Sugarcreek has a lot of amish, but it's somewhat touristy. Maybe someone else has more specific info.......

Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 PM

One of the things about the "touristy" areas, the people there are willing and equipped to have anyone come around and see what is going on. I would feel it would be disrespectful to go to an area that is amish and just stop at a workshop or farm and ask to look around. I personally think you will be better off in an area that has, for lack of a better term, "attractions". We need to be respectful of this group and their way of life. They are not in a "circus sideshow".

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,637,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
They must not be too north, because I live in Cleveland and haven't seen any yet! Other than at Cedar Point. I've lived here for a couple years, I should probably venture to Amish country!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,602,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunter View Post
Hi Cortlandgirl,
No,I don't want a commercialized area. I'm looking for real Amish populations where you can stop at their roadside stand to buy fresh produce or visit their home workshop to see handmade furniture and various other crafts. I really admire the true Amish way of living and think the handmade things are a real treasure.
Dreamer You got to see sparkling Amish eyes when they walk in McDonalds, most are hooked on junk (they just don't have an opportunity to indulge frequently ). Amishes are not into fresh produce&vegie stuff, have to see an Amish selling a vegetable yet, furniture, baskets etc. sometimes (not that frequently) are peddled on the roadsides. Holmes county is considered the most densely populated Amish area in the world. Yet, Amishes live your average rural sprawl lifestyle that their car driving neighbors live. Therefore, "the highest density of Amish in the world" is not readily apparent. If you expect to drive into another world as soon you'll drive into Holmes county, you'd be disappointed, it's just your typical Appalachian like poverty & desolation. Amish furniture business is commercialized quite a bit, so you may get a tour or something. Other than that, there is little to see/experience (without research&preparation), driving hilly county/state roads locked in between "No Trespassing" signs will wear you down in no time at all.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Having taken several trips through the Holmes County area, we have seen produce stands and some small workshops, although most of the workshops are not open for visitors. I think you could have an enjoyable time exploring the area, but here is a site you might want to check out to see just what you will be encountering. http://www.ohioamishcountry.com Click on the "Who Are Amish?" button,

I checked on the B&B we stayed at the last time we were there, and apparently it has either closed as a B&B or has changed owners and names.

While you are in the area, I would strongly recommend a stop at the Warther Museum at Dover. Warthers Museum Dover, Ohio - Home The carvings there are unbelievable. Hope you have a very enjoyable time in Ohio.

Last edited by rrtechno; 07-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Fix Broken Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: