Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Loved Geauga Lake -- [radio jingle] "Double loop and corkscrew, too ... Only at Geauga Lake!"[/radio jingle] -- but what I'm really sick about is the deterioration of the Screechin' Eagle at LeSourdsville Lake/Americana outside of Middletown.

Screechin' Eagle (LeSourdsville Lake Amusement Park)

The park was featured in the History Channel's series "Life After People," and they used computer animation to depict how the elements would bring down the coaster. I almost cried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM

836 posts, read 1,493,013 times
I kind of can't believe I've never heard of Americana/Lesourdesville Lake. Yeah, I'm from the other side of the state, but still...

Thank you for that link. The Screechin' Eagle looks sooooooo awesome! Too bad it's abandoned. Gotta love the wooden coasters.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:42 PM

72 posts, read 115,288 times
I took my family to Waldermeer (sp?) last summer. It's in Western PA but it has that Geauga Lake feel (smaller though) and it does also have a waterpark. I saw some of my ex-students there as well so I wasn't the only NE Ohioan that made the trip.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
^You a teacher, Drooling Rock Worm???

Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Waldemeer in Erie seems like a bit of an anomaly, doesn't it? I haven't been there for a couple of years, even though my mom lives across town, but the park has grown and added new rides to attract new customers who may not want to go to Kennywood or Cedar Point, etc. There's no admission to just walk around -- you can either buy an all-inclusive pass (when we were kids, it was called Ride-o-Rama), or buy individual tickets and pay per ride. It's great for when we take my niece and nephew; Grandma can go along and doesn't have to pay to not ride.

The best rides are the huge ferris wheel with a killer view of the lake and Presque Isle, and the new wooden coaster that travels across the road leading down to the lake. There's a smaller coaster and some older rides, as well as the water park.

The water park, alas, was financed by the piece-by-piece sale of a beautiful antique carousel. There's a cheesy plastic one in its place. A lot of people in town were sick over it, but it allowed the park to survive.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:25 AM

129 posts, read 346,581 times
Check out the site Standing But Not Operating, Standing But Not Operating. This guy has collections of photos of old amusement parks, mostly in Ohio. I found the site while looking at old pics of Chippewa Lake Park, one of my old favorite places from my school days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio