Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 10,516 times

Advertisements

I'm heading out to Seattle, Wa from Columbus, Oh to pick up a Garbage Truck and drive it back. I was wondering if anyone out there knows what the terrain is like once you past through Minnesota, heading into the well known Mountain States. Just trying to see what I have too look forward to. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Hopefully, Stillkit will see this, as he's even more familiar with the best route than I am. Personally, I would take I-90 East from Seattle to I-82 down to I-84

I-84 in Oregon to the I-15 junction North of Salt Lake City then onto I-80 East. (A good alternate would be I-4 to I-86 to I-15 South to U.S. 30 and follow that into Wyoming and pick up I-80 there.

Take I-80 over to Lincoln, NE. Follow Nebraska Route 2 over to I-29 South. Join up with I-70 East at Kansas City. Follow that into Columbus.

I assume the garbage truck you'll be driving is over 26,000 GVW, so you'll need a Class B CDL with air brake endorsement. (Bear with me if I'm stating the obvious...) I'm assuming the truck will be equipped with an engine brake, which will make your mountain descents MUCH easier!

Mountain Passes:
Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 in WA (MM 80)
Three Sisters (three peaks between Evanston & Green River, WY on I-80
Sherman Pass between laramie and Cheyenne

That's it for steep mountains once you're past Cheyenne!

Weatherwise, we're getting out of the snow danger for this half of the year. (But I'd still be prepared for a late Spring or even early Summer snow storm...)

Last edited by Crew Chief; 04-26-2010 at 03:15 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times
Definitely take I-90, I-94 route (from Seattle to Chicago via North Dakota, MN, WI) since winter is over, it's the most picturesque and otherwise desolate route (something different, hard to find in Ohio). Besides, it will not cost you extra miles to drive, it's one of the shortest routes. You'll have only one substantial mountain pass on I-90 in WA (Snoqualmie pass), winter is over, it should not be a big deal to drive through, however, a snowfall is a possibility way into May. After that you'll have fairly flat road all way to Spokane, WA. Short stretch of Idaho is fairly mountainous, twisty and steep all way to Montana border (steep upgrade on ID part of I-90 all way to welcome to MT sign) but again not a big deal (if there is no snow). Then you'll have about 40 miles of twisty I-90 in Montana and then I - 90 gets much straighter all way to Butte, MT where I-90 goes through another mountain pass (smaller than previous 2), then in about 100 - 150 miles you'll have another steep upgrade (much smaller than previous 3) and that's it, mountain driving is over, scenery remains great you see Mountains in the distance but I-90 becomes something like I-70 between Columbus and Wheeling. I-94 in Montana has no mountains to speak of, large hills only. Same in Western North Dakota, Eastern North Dakota is more or less flat.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 AM

147 posts, read 647,088 times
If you come back on I 90 there are passes at Snoqualmie, Lookout Pass, ID/Montanna line, and Homestake Pass just east of Butte.

If you take the I 82/84 route you will have Snoqualmie and on I 84 in Oregon just east of Pendelton is Cabbage Hill, then Sherman Hilll on I 80 between Laramie & Cheyenne.

I assume the truck will not have a load on it so the downgrades shouldn't be a problem. There will be less traffic on the I 90 route. If you want to avoid the Chicago area with the I 90 route catch I 39 at Rockford and take it south to I 74 at Bloomington Ill. Take I 74 to Indianapolis. Weather shouldn't be an issue this time of year.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 AM

Default Thanks, a bunch... Sounds like it'll be an adventure.

We have our CDL's, but I'm checking to see if the truck is equipped with a engine break. Once again thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Hopefully, Stillkit will see this, as he's even

more familiar with the best route than I am. Personally, I would take I-90 East from Seattle to I-82 down to I-84

I-84 in Oregon to the I-15 junction North of Salt Lake City then onto I-80 East. (A good alternate would be I-4 to I-86 to I-15 South to U.S. 30 and follow that into Wyoming and pick up I-80 there.

Take I-80 over to Lincoln, NE. Follow Nebraska Route 2 over to I-29 South. Join up with I-70 East at Kansas City. Follow that into Columbus.

I assume the garbage truck you'll be driving is over 26,000 GVW, so you'll need a Class B CDL with air brake endorsement. (Bear with me if I'm stating the obvious...) I'm assuming the truck will be equipped with an engine brake, which will make your mountain descents MUCH easier!

Mountain Passes:
Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 in WA (MM 80)
Three Sisters (three peaks between Evanston & Green River, WY on I-80
Sherman Pass between laramie and Cheyenne

That's it for steep mountains once you're past Cheyenne!

Weatherwise, we're getting out of the snow danger for this half of the year. (But I'd still be prepared for a late Spring or even early Summer snow storm...)

Old 04-26-2010, 06:22 AM

Default Good looking out!!!

Souds, like it'll be an adventure. Thanks for all the advice, it'll definitely be utulized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Definitely take I-90, I-94 route (from Seattle to Chicago via North Dakota, MN, WI) since winter is over, it's the most picturesque and otherwise desolate route (something different, hard to find in Ohio). Besides, it will not cost you extra miles to drive, it's one of the shortest routes. You'll have only one substantial mountain pass on I-90 in WA (Snoqualmie pass), winter is over, it should not be a big deal to drive through, however, a snowfall is a possibility way into May. After that you'll have fairly flat road all way to Spokane, WA. Short stretch of Idaho is fairly mountainous, twisty and steep all way to Montana border (steep upgrade on ID part of I-90 all way to welcome to MT sign) but again not a big deal (if there is no snow). Then you'll have about 40 miles of twisty I-90 in Montana and then I - 90 gets much straighter all way to Butte, MT where I-90 goes through another mountain pass (smaller than previous 2), then in about 100 - 150 miles you'll have another steep upgrade (much smaller than previous 3) and that's it, mountain driving is over, scenery remains great you see Mountains in the distance but I-90 becomes something like I-70 between Columbus and Wheeling. I-94 in Montana has no mountains to speak of, large hills only. Same in Western North Dakota, Eastern North Dakota is more or less flat.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 AM

Default Road Trip!!!

Looks, as though I'll be in for some adventure. Thanks for taking the time to help, I'm sure I'll be utulizing your tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny999 View Post
If you come back on I 90 there are passes
at Snoqualmie, Lookout Pass, ID/Montanna line, and Homestake Pass just east of Butte.

If you take the I 82/84 route you will have Snoqualmie and on I 84 in Oregon just east of Pendelton is Cabbage Hill, then Sherman Hilll on I 80 between Laramie & Cheyenne.

I assume the truck will not have a load on it so the downgrades shouldn't be a problem. There will be less traffic on the I 90 route. If you want to avoid the Chicago area with the I 90 route catch I 39 at Rockford and take it south to I 74 at Bloomington Ill. Take I 74 to Indianapolis. Weather shouldn't be an issue this time of year.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM

147 posts, read 647,088 times
Oregon and Montana DOT are getting bad, especially Oregon if you go that way. Have all your ducks in a row paperwork wise when you cross the scales. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio