Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 AM

149 posts, read 473,815 times

Advertisements

am making a move to the norman area in a little over a year, and was wondering if people have luck with small home vegetable gardens....where I live in CA, the earwigs, grasshoppers, snails, slugs and gophers manage to eat everything I plant, flowers as well, even with the use of bait and poisons...

was wondering what pests to expect, and how you guys deal with problems, and any weather related problems as well..thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
If it's like in Stillwater, some years turn out great for a vegetable garden, other years not so good. Last year wasn't so good due to the persistent high heat and drought. It's fairly rare, but a heavy hail storm will ruin a garden. Spider mites tend to get on some vegetables.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,943 times
Ive actually had the displeasure of juggling a garden in norman while getting a degree during the hot, dry summer. DONT DO IT!
Side note: Caterpillars can gobble up vines fast, but watering will be your worst enemy. Buy soil moist to help w moisture, along w some sevin powder for those squishy lil guys.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM

oh no! lol....doesn't sound very promising...guess I could stick to a few containers?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM

274 posts, read 518,462 times
You might also want to look into drip irrigation and mulching. Drip irrigation sends the water exactly to where it's needed. A 3" layer of mulch around the base of your vegetable plants will help keep the weeds from becoming established in your watering zone.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
........was wondering what pests to expect,
Mostly kids. Everything else can be poisoned or stomped on. Neighbors frown on poisoning and stomping their kids.

Seriously though, invest in Roundup and keep the johnson grass sprayed.........

Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
oh no! lol....doesn't sound very promising...guess I could stick to a few containers?
No, just take your chances, like most hardy Oklahoma gardeners do, that it will turn out to be a good season to grow vegetables. Bell peppers can do good unless the soil is poor.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:00 PM

thanks for all the help and info! now another question, which fruit trees do well?...am afraid to hear the answers...

Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM

274 posts, read 518,462 times
I'm not sure about fruit trees but I do know that pecans are a fairly good cash crop in the state. That suggests that they must do well if are being grown commercially. I generally look at what other farmers are growing and selling. When their income comes from the land, very few can afford to waste time and money on something that doesn't grow well in their area.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:39 PM

27 posts, read 53,338 times
Since Oklahoma's summers can be so ridiculous I think the trick to gardening here is to think of it as 2 small growing seasons versus 1 long one. You can start early spring and get those plants out of the ground before the heat hits in late July, then, start again late August and harvest those before the usual late Oct frost.
As far as fruit trees, we get a lot of temperature swings in the winter, so be careful to get a variety that won't bloom at the first warm weather and can make it till spring hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: