Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,478 times

Advertisements

My grandson has asperges syndrome and he is 10 years old. He started having trouble in a public school with the large classroom and our family is trying to find a school that can help him in a smaller teacher-ratio environment. Can anyone out there help us?

Thanks
Concerned grandmother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanadort View Post
My grandson has asperges syndrome and he is 10 years old. He started having trouble in a public school with the large classroom and our family is trying to find a school that can help him in a smaller teacher-ratio environment. Can anyone out there help us?

Thanks
Concerned grandmother
What city do you live in? OKC?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:31 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
Important things to consider. Does the school have him on an IEP. Has the school psychologist performed any IQ/Behavioral/Personality assessments on him. What professional made this diagnosis? You may wish to contact the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse division of the state. You can google them for the contact numbers. Depending on what services you are needing they should refer you to the appropriate folks.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 PM

708 posts, read 688,293 times
hi just wondering what is that and maybe i can try to help

Old 12-17-2007, 03:59 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
hi just wondering what is that and maybe i can try to help
Here you go Cali.. Wikipedia is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers_syndrome

Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,478 times
Jammie

Hi we live in Bethany which is Oklahoma City.

Thanks for your help
Nanadort

Old 12-21-2007, 08:00 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
I'm sure you have already told the teacher and the principal about your concerns. Does he have an IEP with plans to address his troubles? How large is the class he is in? Can he have some individual attention from the counselor or someone else?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 PM

708 posts, read 688,293 times
hey i just found out that i have it Im on an IEP at my school. does he have anxiety, sometimes depression, fast talking, OCD, ADD or ADHD, having problems making friends or keeping friends? I'd say get him in a group maybe like the Friendship circle i dont know if they have that in OK but my cuz told me about it and she goes to it in Cali. does he like any sports if so get him into that to make new friends. if he has anxiety maybe get him on a meds, i dont like knowing kids or on meds but if he has it bad enough maybe that will help him. if you go on google and type in Aspergers Syndrome it will tell you alot about it!

GOOD LUCK!!!

by the way my aspergers is very mild..i dont have any sensor issues no nose bugs me..they found it because of my anxiety sometimes depression and ADD just some signs of it and they did test on me and i have it but its very mild....is your grandsons aspergers mild or bad?

Last edited by Cali_Okie_Girl; 12-21-2007 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 11:38 AM

17 posts, read 84,014 times
Default Aspergerger's

Dan Akroyd was dx'd with this as a kid. They think Einstein had it. Prolly half the engineers at Boeing have it! If the kid has an obsession let him run with it, well considering what. There was a kid here in NY that stole a subway train and drove it from one end of the line to another without killing anybody. Turns out he had Asperger's.

I once saw a message board/support forum by and for people with this somewhere on the net. A likeable and eccentric crew.

All disorders of the brain run on a continuum, meaning they can range from debilitating through merely inconvenient. Throw in IQ or potential.

Grandma, look for those with expertise. School personnel also run a range--from well-meaning to knowledgeable. Budget is on the back of all principal's minds.

I recommend you look for state chapters of any Asperger's (or Autism) orgs as well as at FAMI (Friends Advocates of the Mentally Ill) and the like. Many people have walked the walk already and your family can be spared much by those who've already been there.

Good Luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Probably some of the most intelligent people on the planet have or had aspergers, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City