Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:47 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Not sure where you got this info but its definitely not true. Car tax in TX is MUCH higher...about 2x at least. Some higher end models may be cheaper in TX but I don't see a student needing a Benz or BMW.
The embassies of their respective home countries urged them to buy cars in Texas for financial reasons, and this was coming from multiple countries. Almost all of them went to Dallas to get cars rather than buying locally. It could be an agreement their governments have with the State of Texas, and they may pick up the sales tax for scholarship students for all I know. As I said before, they couldn't explain it well to me and I haven't looked into it because I'm not in the market for a car, as I'm holding onto money for whenever my move out of this state happens. The OP just has to email the Brazilian consulate in Houston to see if they can provide any insight, as almost every consulate dealing with the people I worked with is there and Oklahoma is most likely part of its service sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 13,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
The embassies of their respective home countries urged them to buy cars in Texas for financial reasons, and this was coming from multiple countries. Almost all of them went to Dallas to get cars rather than buying locally. It could be an agreement their governments have with the State of Texas, and they may pick up the sales tax for scholarship students for all I know. As I said before, they couldn't explain it well to me and I haven't looked into it because I'm not in the market for a car, as I'm holding onto money for whenever my move out of this state happens. The OP just has to email the Brazilian consulate in Houston to see if they can provide any insight, as almost every consulate dealing with the people I worked with is there and Oklahoma is most likely part of its service sector.
Thanks for the advises #1soonerfan and dvxhd, but at least for my first year I don't plan to own a car, because I don't know if I'll have enough money to afford it. And I can't get a job with my student visa, so my family support and my sponsors are the only money that I'll have. I can use the public transport for some trips around the area, go to downtown, shopping, etc.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,202 times
As a freshman, you can get by without a car. However, you will need one once you think about leaving Stillwater and Stillwater is not very large. For Stillwater, there are no intercity buses (Greyhound is an option, but it only seems to go to major cities like OKC or Tulsa and is not very regular) and no trains whatsoever. In terms of getting a job or internship, a car is required. Some will ask if you have reliable transportation (code for: do you have your own car?). Going to TX is an option, but you could get an older car in Oklahoma for $3,000 to $4,000 no more than you need it for basic transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City