Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 PM

70 posts, read 284,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For some reason, people believe in poking along before entering the Interstate.
People driving at painfully school-zone-slow speeds while entering the Interstate is bad enough. One of the things I most hate encountering in Interstate traffic is the idiots who actually stop on freeway on-ramps and off-ramps. That is NOT safe driving. It is outrageously reckless driving.

If someone is so timid behind the wheel they cannot manage to negotiate merging in with moving traffic on the Interstate without stopping, then that person really doesn't need to be driving anywhere near a super-highway in the first place. Others can be free to get offended by my attitude over this, but I don't care. That sort of stupid driving behavior can cause fatal, multi-car pile ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
People driving at painfully school-zone-slow speeds while entering the Interstate is bad enough. One of the things I most hate encountering in Interstate traffic is the idiots who actually stop on freeway on-ramps and off-ramps. That is NOT safe driving. It is outrageously reckless driving.

If someone is so timid behind the wheel they cannot manage to negotiate merging in with moving traffic on the Interstate without stopping, then that person really doesn't need to be driving anywhere near a super-highway in the first place. Others can be free to get offended by my attitude over this, but I don't care. That sort of stupid driving behavior can cause fatal, multi-car pile ups.
I agree. When my son was on his driving permit this time last year, we spent an entire evening practicing getting on and off highways. It's a pretty scary thing until you get used to it.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Great info on OKCs Freeway system/Transportation/Interstates...
Transportation in Oklahoma City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Here is the Kilpatrick/Lake Hefner Parkway interchange, going east on the Kilpatrick.

If you have a Pike Pass, you just drive on through. If not you have to stop. Usually there will be someone there to take your $1, if not you have to throw change in. Worse, you might have to use the bill changer.

Looking south at the Broadway Extension.

The interchange between the Kilpatrick and I-35.

The on ramp to I-35N is harder than it looks.

It's hard to see the cars in the left lane of I-35 when getting ready to merge. It's not bad on this weekday afternoon, but during the afternoon rush hour it can be tricky.

I-35 northbound close to 2nd st in Edmond. Truck traffic is heavy on this road.

Edmond landmarks.

I see these things all the time. I think they have something to do with wind turbines.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 PM

390 posts, read 906,797 times
the main thing I noticed when I was at OU was the merge lanes were sometimes flat out dangerous and people stopped at the end of the ramps, which I found dangerous as well. Otherwise, the roads are great and the drivers are very nice too. (wish i could say the same about atlanta.)

Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 13,508 times
I've lived in Okc 20+ years. The people that 'designed' the I-40 downtown area exit/entrance ramps to/from I-40 years ago were drunk out of their minds. Anybody who's ever gone downtown, to an arts festival, or to bricktown, then tried to get back on the highway (I-40) knows exactly what I'm talking about. Where's the accountability. Millions of people have spent countless hours just trying to FREAKING GET ON THE HIGHWAY when leaving the downtown area. Reno ave. is a major road, yet there are NO ramps from Reno to I-40. And numerous locations where you can only exit, but can't get back on. You can drive along Reno for miles and though it intersect I-40 multiple times, there are no ramps. Miniature "signs" that say "I-40" are spotty, faded, turned the wrong way etc. The downtown highway ramp 'system' needs to be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City