Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 03:25 AM

48 posts, read 72,150 times

Advertisements

I have seen the scores for all four schools, which are pretty phenomenal. Is there a difference in the kids that go to each school? More vs less accepting or friendly to a new incoming sophomore? What is the difference, if any, in the neighborhoods they each draw from for the rest of the family? Is the real estate more/less exclusive? Are people/communities more/less friendly? Accepting? How different is the vibe?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Maybe my question was too broad. Let's try again. I like the Deer Creek area, at least on a map, as it seem easier to get to the places my family would want to go. I have read some disparaging remarks about Deer Creek HS in terms of new students made to feel unwelcome. My boys are very nice, sweet, kids but they are a bit "different". Are any of the Edmond's high school better for accepting and being friendly to incoming students, esp for an incoming senior? Do any of them have a better Theater department?

thanks

Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Deer Creek is basically an area with no retail. The people that live there are people who want to live further out and still have access to Edmond and OKC. I would assume that many people there want to be there because they aren't in Edmond schools as Edmond has more lower to middle class types that Deer Creek isn't going to have.

As far as the Edmond schools. Edmond Memorial is the oldest. It has students from very wealthy parts of town in the trees on the east side of town and some middle class students from the middle part of the old part of Edmond. Probably poorer students and transient students from the apartments in the area.

Edmond North includes some very wealthy neighborhoods in the north part of town, however the district also includes the oldest part of Edmond and this would be the crummiest part of the old part of Edmond.

Edmond Sante Fe is pretty much the west side of town. That part of town is just an extension of NW OKC and looks very suburban. ESF's district is mostly upper middle class but probably less wealthy housing areas than the other Edmond Schools, and Deer Creek. That area also includes a lot of apartments although they are a lot newer than the ones in Edmond Memorial's district.

As far as rep goes, I'd say Deer Creek and Edmond North are the best, with Edmond Memorial a smidge ahead of Sante Fe.

However, Edmond Memorial has had a strong rep in the fine arts since before the other two Edmond schools even existed.

All in all, you are kind of splitting hairs here. Probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:31 AM

664 posts, read 2,094,364 times
Goofy do you have an incoming Sophomore or Senior?

Maybe this will help.... maybe it won't..
Edmond Memorial: https://www.publicschoolreview.com/m...-profile/73013
Edmond North: https://www.publicschoolreview.com/n...-profile/73003
Edmond Santa Fe: https://www.publicschoolreview.com/s...-profile/73013
Deer Creek: https://www.publicschoolreview.com/d...school-profile

Deer Creek is underfunded per pupil and the teachers make less than the Edmond schools, however we are good about passing bonds to improve and build new schools/facilities. The district is growing and will continue to do so.
DC also breaks up the grade levels a little different than Edmond and a lot of schools. This doesn't affect your child (either Soph or Senior) but currently Elementary is K-4, Intermediate is 5-6, Middle is 7-8, 9th (Freshman Academy), and 10-12th.
However I believe they are mixing that up in the near future as well with a 4-5th Grade Center and 6th Grade at the Intermediate School.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:16 PM

First, thank you for your answers.

Eddie,
I just have a whirlwind tour with a realtor, so I'm a bit hazy on specific areas. I did notice there was not a lot of retail, anywhere. I grew up in Phoenix, which is also a very spread out area, so I'm used to long drives cover a lot of map. I would be very comfortable in such an spot, but my wife is afraid of being too isolated. She will probably spend a lot of time downtown and in the Paseo arts district. My thought was to get something just north of the turnpike. say around still meadows, or possibly coffee creek and Portland ave. Although, if there is more stores in edmonds, maybe we'd be better there.

Prerunner,
My youngest DS will be a freshman, my oldest a senior. The older one is very into Theater, so I suppose I should look at Memorial. I will need to look into the freshman academy thing. This may change everything, as all my youngest want is to not to move high school. If he doesn't start for another year, I may need to rethink things so my oldest finishes where he is at.

All I can say is moving to an area you are unfamiliar with is tough.

Prerunner, Now I am really confused. You mentioned a different division for schools, but the site you linked to says 9-12.

Last edited by Goofyyno; 04-05-2018 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: adding question

Old 04-06-2018, 03:52 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyyno View Post
First, thank you for your answers.

Eddie,
I just have a whirlwind tour with a realtor, so I'm a bit hazy on specific areas. I did notice there was not a lot of retail, anywhere. I grew up in Phoenix, which is also a very spread out area, so I'm used to long drives cover a lot of map. I would be very comfortable in such an spot, but my wife is afraid of being too isolated. She will probably spend a lot of time downtown and in the Paseo arts district. My thought was to get something just north of the turnpike. say around still meadows, or possibly coffee creek and Portland ave. Although, if there is more stores in edmonds, maybe we'd be better there.

Prerunner,
My youngest DS will be a freshman, my oldest a senior. The older one is very into Theater, so I suppose I should look at Memorial. I will need to look into the freshman academy thing. This may change everything, as all my youngest want is to not to move high school. If he doesn't start for another year, I may need to rethink things so my oldest finishes where he is at.

Prerunner, Now I am really confused. You mentioned a different division for schools, but the site you linked to says 9-12.
Edmond's major stretch of retail is on Broadway but there is a lot of retail in NW Edmond and west Edmond that is easily accessible from neighborhoods in the DC school system. That area also has easy access to the retail on Memorial road in NW OKC. We are talking 10 minutes to 90% of what your basic needs would be. Quail Springs mall area is there as well.

It may be an extra five minutes to get into the older part of Edmond. Broadway is the main retail street there clustered from 2nd street down to Memorial Road.

The Deer Creek area isn't isolated as such as there are a gazillion subdivisions out there. Just no shopping. There are a few quick stores out in there but not much else.

I was going to tell you I talked to a major player in Oklahoma high school theater circles and she told me that all four schools are among the best in the state. Can't go wrong.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
So instead of moving out of Oklahoma for your school kids, move to Edmond area. Stillwater, I believe is also well rated. It might as well be. It's replaced two old elementary schools with two new ones and just started on a third new one. But I would imagine Edmond is the best for about everybody's needs.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I was going to tell you I talked to a major player in Oklahoma high school theater circles and she told me that all four schools are among the best in the state. Can't go wrong.
This will make my eldest son happy. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 AM

664 posts, read 2,094,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyyno View Post
Prerunner,

My oldest will be a senior next year and is in drama at DC. If that is where you end up let me know and if she has classes with him I will have her introduce herself.

The Freshman Academy is still considered high school and is on the same campus, they just have their own building though some/all of their elective classes may be mixed with 10-12 grade in other buildings on campus.
History - Deer Creek Schools

One thing I don't like about the DC High School is the multiple spread out buildings.

Last edited by prerunner1982; 04-09-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 04-13-2018, 08:19 PM

Thanks prerunner,
I sent you a pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: