Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 14,266 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility of our moving to OKC in 2019 for my job. My husband & I are empty-nesters, early 50's. Currently we live just outside of downtown Fort Worth and love it. Originally from southern Louisiana, but have been in TX for a couple of years now. I don't know a lot about OKC and the surrounding area, but will definitely be doing my homework on finding out more. We love to cook, go to Farmer's Markets, go to craft beer breweries, gardening, art, etc. "Good schools" and "Family Oriented" are typically area descriptions that I shy away from now.

Any suggestions on areas I should start looking at?? I've searched the forums and most questions like this are typically asking for families with young children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 01:27 PM

17,846 posts, read 13,768,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmizell View Post
There is a possibility of our moving to OKC in 2019 for my job. My husband & I are empty-nesters, early 50's. Currently we live just outside of downtown Fort Worth and love it. Originally from southern Louisiana, but have been in TX for a couple of years now. I don't know a lot about OKC and the surrounding area, but will definitely be doing my homework on finding out more. We love to cook, go to Farmer's Markets, go to craft beer breweries, gardening, art, etc. "Good schools" and "Family Oriented" are typically area descriptions that I shy away from now.

Any suggestions on areas I should start looking at?? I've searched the forums and most questions like this are typically asking for families with young children.
North and west of downtown. Mostly north of 10th and west of I-235. As you go north the the consistency of the nicer neighborhoods slowly moves to the west and as you go west the consistency of the neighborhoods slowly moves north. The older nice pre WWII homes are mostly between I-235 on the east and I-44 to the west and north. Most of the post WWII newer being outside those those boundries in the area I described earlier. Most of those homes are pre 1980ish. There is one area that is east of i-235 that is nice called Lincoln Terrace. It is located just south of the state capital and just north of the OU Health Science Center.

A few more specifics would help.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:07 PM

12 posts, read 14,266 times
Perfect!! Thanks!! I'll be up there next week for a couple days & will start driving around those areas checking it out.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Quote:

Hi there! I lived in Lafayette, LA for a few years. Definitely a world apart from downtown Fort Worth and certainly from Canada where I moved from. I loved Louisiana too though!

I'm now a realtor here in OKC. I've lived here for 9 years. I think you'd really enjoy our midtown/uptown areas. Lots of historic homes, artsy vibe, and definitely great eateries and craft breweries. Lots of festivals and things to do. Let me know if I can be of help!

Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,802,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzOKC View Post
Hi there! I lived in Lafayette, LA for a few years. Definitely a world apart from downtown Fort Worth and certainly from Canada where I moved from. I loved Louisiana too though!

I'm now a realtor here in OKC. I've lived here for 9 years. I think you'd really enjoy our midtown/uptown areas. Lots of historic homes, artsy vibe, and definitely great eateries and craft breweries. Lots of festivals and things to do. Let me know if I can be of help!
I agree with this. While overall I don't like it here, and you probably won't enjoy it as much as TX, Midtown is a nice area to be. I'm looking for a house, and trying to avoid Edmond, which is the "good schools" area. I think its boring AF.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,524,942 times
Quote:

Midtown and Paseo District have the character you're looking for. I would check and see if there are any homes available in Linwood Place.

Being a born and bred Okie and having lived in Fort Worth for almost a decade, I can tell you that Fort Worth and Oklahoma City "feel" very similar in that strong Southwestern kind of way.

Good luck and Welcome to the Great State of Oklahoma!

Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,691,040 times
That general area is surely the most interesting part of Oklahoma City. In addition to the Paseo, you got the Gold Dome, Oklahoma City University, St. Anthony Hospital, the Asian District, Plaza District, Lyric Theater, and Fairlawn Cemetery where early day leaders of Oklahoma City are buried. There is surely more things of interest. The state capitol, downtown OKC, Penn Square, a big indoor mall still doing very well, aren't too far away.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 01-26-2019 at 11:12 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 07:21 AM

17,846 posts, read 13,768,105 times
Just about any neighborhood due north of downtown up to I-44 would work. Then there are neighborhoods to the west/northwest of downtown that are nice but it's hit and miss as far as the neighborhoods go. (Plaza area).

The Linwood neighborhood that Bass and Catfish mentioned is a little further west and out of downtown but it is really nice.

And there is a small neighborhood directly south of the state capitol called Lincoln Terrace that is nice. Although it is separated from downtown by the interstate it is real convenient to everything.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:50 PM

31 posts, read 42,929 times
Edmond!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:41 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,802,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboatner View Post
Edmond!
Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City