Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 05:10 PM

62 posts, read 252,951 times

Advertisements

One of Oklahoma City's shining celebrities has died.

Bobby Murcer was the center fielder who replaced another famous Oklahoman... Mickey Mantle. Bobby played for the Yankees for several years.

I've known Bobby for several years. In fact, I went to elementry school thru high school with his brother Randy. When I was a teenager in Oklahoma City, the guys and I would hang around the local TG&Y where Bobby and his dad had a jewelry store, Murcer's Jewlery. Bobby sold me a drop, which is what we gave the girls we went steady with at the time.

He was a good man. A VERY good man. As I write this, I am nearly in tears because not only did I think of Bobby as a friend, but the successor to one of the greatest baseball players in history. Mickey Mantle. I often told people I knew him as I was quite proud of that fact. Some had doubts, but that's ok.

If by chance he reads this... Randy Murcer... You and the rest of the family have my deepest sympathy. If I can, I will at least pay my respects at the funeral home.

Bobby... Thanks for being part of my life. May you rest in peace. After touching so many, you deserve peace. Say hello to Mick and the boys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:12 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I'm sorry for the loss. I didn't know about Bobby Murcer but he had a good friend in you.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:56 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Growing up in the 50's, I use a huge Yankee fan, with Mickey Mantle being my favorite player. Murcer was going to be the next Mickey, co-owner Dan Topping was quoted as saying. Mantle's last great year IMO was '64 but Murcer eventually took his place in the outfield, switching Mickey to first place when they traded off Joe Pepitone. Although Bobby did not put up Mickey Mantle numbers he still had an illustrious career with the Yankees. I believed he played a couple seasons with San Francisco and was traded back to the Yanks. He played in half a dozen all star games. Between coaching , playing, and the broadcast booth, his career with the Yankee organization is somewhere around 40 years. It is VERY difficult to replace a legend, as Mantle replaced Joe DiMaggio earlier, but Bobby had a fine career himself, and his leadership in the locker room made him a key member of that organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City