Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM

778 posts, read 2,323,544 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/04/bu...es-inland.html

Fantastic read if you have time.

I'm posting this here on the state forum since a lot of what was said here can be applied to Tulsa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 05:31 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Thanks! I've sent it to my son-in-law in OKC.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/04/bu...es-inland.html

Fantastic read if you have time.

I'm posting this here on the state forum since a lot of what was said here can be applied to Tulsa.
As for Tulsa, you're less likely to be upset by earthquakes, a subject the article didn't bring up about Oklahoma City.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As for Tulsa, you're less likely to be upset by earthquakes, a subject the article didn't bring up about Oklahoma City.
I think it's interesting the earthquakes have happened, but it never occurred to me to be upset about them. I'm presuming you think it worth mentioning or you wouldn't have made the post, but it would not enter my mind to include it

Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 AM

Son-in-law says traffic in OKC is worse.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 PM

374 posts, read 807,206 times
Nice. Send more people here. Make us closer to being every other over crowded, crime infested city in America.

Great article.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Nice. Send more people here. Make us closer to being every other over crowded, crime infested city in America.

Great article.
Seriously? That's your contribution?

Why am I not surprised? I wonder how many people wanted to relocate to OK, came on here, and were dissuaded due to your cold, unfriendly, and grouchy posts?

I'm sure you have better things to do like yell at kids to get off your lawn.

I, for one, love that people are moving to OKC. If you aren't growing, then you are dying after all. And the problems with growth are much easier to deal with then this issued that happen when you are declining.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
+1

As Red (Morgan Freeman) said, "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." I would much rather have the problem of dealing with people moving in than people moving out. The Northeast has small towns that are dying out because families are choosing to move to larger cities and all that remain are Baby Boomers and their parents. Some of that is economic but a lot has to deal with small town life being unappealing when there are small cities nearby that have better services and more things to do. California is exporting its middle class and it's Ag industry. The farmers and ranchers aren't your SF kooks but rather staunch Republican voters but they might be too lefty for some in Oklahoma because they would consider, but not vote for, a Democrat. It won't be too long before Boeing has something go wrong again and start bleeding jobs and people from Washington.

Is Oklahoma perfect? No, but no place really is. It's a heck of a lot better than most people think it is and it's people are far better than those running it's government.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
+1

As Red (Morgan Freeman) said, "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." I would much rather have the problem of dealing with people moving in than people moving out. The Northeast has small towns that are dying out because families are choosing to move to larger cities and all that remain are Baby Boomers and their parents. Some of that is economic but a lot has to deal with small town life being unappealing when there are small cities nearby that have better services and more things to do. California is exporting its middle class and it's Ag industry. The farmers and ranchers aren't your SF kooks but rather staunch Republican voters but they might be too lefty for some in Oklahoma because they would consider, but not vote for, a Democrat. It won't be too long before Boeing has something go wrong again and start bleeding jobs and people from Washington.

Is Oklahoma perfect? No, but no place really is. It's a heck of a lot better than most people think it is and it's people are far better than those running it's government.
Well now, I can say "amen" to that!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 AM

374 posts, read 807,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Seriously? That's your contribution?

Why am I not surprised? I wonder how many people wanted to relocate to OK, came on here, and were dissuaded due to your cold, unfriendly, and grouchy posts?

I'm sure you have better things to do like yell at kids to get off your lawn.

I, for one, love that people are moving to OKC. If you aren't growing, then you are dying after all. And the problems with growth are much easier to deal with then this issued that happen when you are declining.
It people like you that actually end up ruining a once great spot.

"Hey everyone!! Move here!. There's no traffic, and our schools aren't crowded!!"

You know one of these magazines wrote an article like this about Ashville NC. That caused hordes of outsiders to flee their problem areas and infiltrate the area.. But as expected they brought all their problems with them.

Now Ashville NC is not the once hidden town it used to be. My Dad's farm house now sits adjacent to a home that was raided for meth. Crime is up and it's just too crowded.

all because someone said "Hey y'all. Move here!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma