Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 9,357 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I'm an Okie and proud to be one, even if not by birth, (I was born in Little Rock, but left as soon as I could pack a diaper and get out), but by temperament and a love for Oklahoma formed and tempered by living in other states for far too long over the last 60 plus years. While I've met and worked with people everywhere that I like and have no trouble living and working around Oklahoma will always be home in a way nowhere else is. I've had kin in Oklahoma well before statehood, but that alone doesn't make me an Okie, it's how I feel about this state that does that. This state makes me who I am right down to the ground.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] In my youth I attended school in 4 states but graduated high school in a small SE Oklahoma town where the teachers not only taught me facts but also taught me to think for myself and to have the confidence to think about issues, make up my own mind, and speak when I feel it's needed. I've seen it said on this board that we in Oklahoma have no culture, we are a predominately backwoods, uneducated, brutish lot who cling to God and guns and are incapable of rational decision. This is about like saying all snowflakes are identical.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I find that most of us are well educated with an additional well developed dose of common sense (rare thing these days anywhere). We have a culture of our own and it never seemed necessary for any of us to ask anyone’s opinion of it or listen to their derision of it. If we sound funny when we talk, please remember that all Americans sound funny to someone, that’s life, get over it. If we don’t always meet your expectation of whom or what you expect us to be, do, or think, or our world view, or the way we vote, clashes with your superior ideas, well I can only say life’s rough and then you die.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’ve found only one clear truth in life, and that is, life is far too short to spend it teaching a jackass to sing soprano. We have no intention of showing up in your neighborhood trying to change you and we ask only the same. If that means continuing to consider us “Fly over country” go right ahead on, we’ll get by just fine. If on the other hand you’d like to settle in, learn our ways and try to show us by example how superior your ways are, come on down and get busy. I may be wrong but I’d be willing to bet in a few generations you’ll find you have great grandkids who are closer to Okies than you are and quite comfortable with that fact. There’s an old saying “poor folks have a lot of ways, and you’re bound to like some of em’” and you might just find out its true. But then I’m just an old Okie so I could be wrong.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max4951 View Post
[SIZE=3]I'm an Okie and proud to be one, even if not by birth, (I was born in Little Rock, but left as soon as I could pack a diaper and get out), but by temperament and a love for Oklahoma formed and tempered by living in other states for far too long over the last 60 plus years. While I've met and worked with people everywhere that I like and have no trouble living and working around Oklahoma will always be home in a way nowhere else is. I've had kin in Oklahoma well before statehood, but that alone doesn't make me an Okie, it's how I feel about this state that does that. This state makes me who I am right down to the ground.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] In my youth I attended school in 4 states but graduated high school in a small SE Oklahoma town where the teachers not only taught me facts but also taught me to think for myself and to have the confidence to think about issues, make up my own mind, and speak when I feel it's needed. I've seen it said on this board that we in Oklahoma have no culture, we are a predominately backwoods, uneducated, brutish lot who cling to God and guns and are incapable of rational decision. This is about like saying all snowflakes are identical.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I find that most of us are well educated with an additional well developed dose of common sense (rare thing these days anywhere). We have a culture of our own and it never seemed necessary for any of us to ask anyone’s opinion of it or listen to their derision of it. If we sound funny when we talk, please remember that all Americans sound funny to someone, that’s life, get over it. If we don’t always meet your expectation of whom or what you expect us to be, do, or think, or our world view, or the way we vote, clashes with your superior ideas, well I can only say life’s rough and then you die.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’ve found only one clear truth in life, and that is, life is far too short to spend it teaching a jackass to sing soprano. We have no intention of showing up in your neighborhood trying to change you and we ask only the same. If that means continuing to consider us “Fly over country” go right ahead on, we’ll get by just fine. If on the other hand you’d like to settle in, learn our ways and try to show us by example how superior your ways are, come on down and get busy. I may be wrong but I’d be willing to bet in a few generations you’ll find you have great grandkids who are closer to Okies than you are and quite comfortable with that fact. There’s an old saying “poor folks have a lot of ways, and you’re bound to like some of em’” and you might just find out its true. But then I’m just an old Okie so I could be wrong.[/SIZE]

You tell 'em!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,699 times
I was just dropping by the Oklahoma forum but wanted to post. I like Oklahoma. I grew up next door in Arkansas and have been to OK bunches of times. Oklahoma gets a bad rap. People think it is just some boring flat prairie but large sections are quite hilly to mountainous, heavily forested, and beautiful lakes. I kinda like the "boring" prairie too but I know I'm in the minority. They seem so vast and I LOVE watching storms on the prairies. The people are awesome too!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Though I was born in Texas and have moved all over the country in my life, I have spent more time in Oklahoma than anywhere else. All of my family, and all my wife's family is here.

We just returned late last year after almost 8 years away and I am glad to be back. It was nice living in other parts of the country, and there are still other parts of the country I wouldn't mind living in, but we're pretty settled here now.

So much of the time I used to live here I spent wanting to get out, but now that I'm a little older and have seen other parts of the country in depth, I realize Oklahoma has a lot more to offer than I realized in my younger days.

Really, the only thing that makes it hard for me here is the heat and humidity of Summer.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Though I was born in Texas and have moved all over the country in my life, I have spent more time in Oklahoma than anywhere else. All of my family, and all my wife's family is here.

We just returned late last year after almost 8 years away and I am glad to be back. It was nice living in other parts of the country, and there are still other parts of the country I wouldn't mind living in, but we're pretty settled here now.

So much of the time I used to live here I spent wanting to get out, but now that I'm a little older and have seen other parts of the country in depth, I realize Oklahoma has a lot more to offer than I realized in my younger days.

Really, the only thing that makes it hard for me here is the heat and humidity of Summer.
True. I'd rather deal with the heat/humidity instead of the cold any ol' day though.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,647 times
I have only lived here for the past 3 years and have seen little of this common sense from the State Govt. Mispelled words on monuments that go uncorrected, defunded education departments, cutting taxes while running larger deficits, ect. is what the country sees of Oklahoma. Her people, at least the ones I have met, do not deserve the backward hick government they voted themselves. Maybe I don't get out enough but someone has to be electing and re-electing these dopes and I don't know who they are.

Proper spelling and math never go out of style. I don't consider myself an Okie and will consider other states ways superior as long as the misspelling on the Capitol stands. It's not cute, historic, or religious. Actually misspelling sabbath even has satanic connotations if you believe the Puritans.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I have only lived here for the past 3 years and have seen little of this common sense from the State Govt. Mispelled words on monuments that go uncorrected, defunded education departments, cutting taxes while running larger deficits, ect. is what the country sees of Oklahoma. Her people, at least the ones I have met, do not deserve the backward hick government they voted themselves. Maybe I don't get out enough but someone has to be electing and re-electing these dopes and I don't know who they are.
Too true. Well, it aint the politics or religion that keep me here.

Quote:
Actually misspelling sabbath even has satanic connotations if you believe the Puritans.
That's silly. Puritans were real, but Satan never was.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 PM

641 posts, read 1,073,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post

Proper spelling and math never go out of style. I don't consider myself an Okie and will consider other states ways superior as long as the misspelling on the Capitol stands. It's not cute, historic, or religious. Actually misspelling sabbath even has satanic connotations if you believe the Puritans.

What the rest of the country is seeing, if they are actually watching, is Oklahoma kicking the rest of the states asses in economic growth. And it is not just energy related. Oklahoma is doing very well. While states like California pat themselves on the back for spending millions of dollars for excessively extravagant and frivolous projects (and are broker every decade for it), Oklahoma has been a rising star and is known as a fiscally conservative state run by actual adults, rather than the frivolous, idealistic children who are elected to govern many other states. Oklahoma's balance sheet is strong and GDP growth leads the nation. We must be doing something right.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Maybe this story is a reflection of what you're talking about:
Stillwater Chamber woos eight industries » Local News » Stillwater NewsPress

Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 PM

641 posts, read 1,073,481 times
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma