Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:10 PM

19,245 posts, read 16,761,632 times

Advertisements

Is this due to a lack of available healthy foods or do people just not care about their own health? If it's due to lack of healthy and nutritious foods, why don't people voice their complaints to their community? If it's due to them not caring, well ... that's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,688,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Is this due to a lack of available healthy foods or do people just not care about their own health? If it's due to lack of healthy and nutritious foods, why don't people voice their complaints to their community? If it's due to them not caring, well ... that's sad.
If you live in a town so little that the only convenience store is also the only grocery store, about all there is to buy is junk food.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 AM

24,696 posts, read 11,044,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If you live in a town so little that the only convenience store is also the only grocery store, about all there is to buy is junk food.
And there are no roads, no deliveries, no neighbors, ... please!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,553,613 times
Quote:
That is 1 reason. Another is that people don't know how to cook from scratch anymore. I noticed in the Cleveland Walmart that they have an entire wall with refrigerated prepared, processed food at high prices. And people don't grow their own. Too much work. No matter how little space you have, you can grown one or more tomato plants on a balcony and they are a very good source of nutrition.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,553,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
And there are no roads, no deliveries, no neighbors, ... please!
Roads don't count if you have no vehicle. I do not know of any grocery store in this rural area that delivers. And neighbors are usually in the same position.

Don't get me wrong, I think many people could try a lot harder than they are. But things are not always that cut and dried.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
You're right. Small towns don't have the amenities of a larger one but even in larger ones, there seems to be a problem there, too. And it isn't only in Oklahoma, to be fair.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM

24,696 posts, read 11,044,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Roads don't count if you have no vehicle. I do not know of any grocery store in this rural area that delivers. And neighbors are usually in the same position.

Don't get me wrong, I think many people could try a lot harder than they are. But things are not always that cut and dried.
Amazon delivers. If I understand you a whole rural community is cut off from the rest of the world?

Old 09-27-2017, 02:10 PM

461 posts, read 548,528 times
Quote:
Oklahomans don't live in the middle of all out gorgeous scenery. If I lived in Colorado Springs, I would have conquered Pikes Peak several times, gone to numerous walks to the Garden of the Gods and to the Seven Falls for starters. And possibly would have taken up skiing.
It's not the weekend outings that keep you in shape. It's the day to day discipline of eating right and exercising. I left home at 7am today and I won't get home until 9pm because I'm going to the gym after work. That's just the price of staying fit.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
It's not the weekend outings that keep you in shape. It's the day to day discipline of eating right and exercising. I left home at 7am today and I won't get home until 9pm because I'm going to the gym after work. That's just the price of staying fit.
I agree that discipline is key to it but I think it's more than that. Other factors that cause people to become overweight can be caused by some of the following:

Financial situation i.e. low income and poverty
Unemployment due to lack of education
Lack of motivation caused by depression
Overall dissatisfaction with life
Family problems or having no family at all which all links to stress and depression

Oklahoma isn't the only state with a high (30%+) level of obesity. States that are higher are Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, West Virginia and Arkansas. Arkansas leads with almost 36% of its population being obese. Looking at those states, it may correlate with low income. Struggling each month to provide basic needs will cause depression and depression leads to lack of motivation (or just not caring).

I don't know, though. Just my thoughts on it. One thing I do know is when you neglect your body that way for decades, you won't live to old age and will experience a lot of health problems.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
There's nothing wrong with fat shaming, being fat is a temporary condition. If the fat person doesn't change this condition, get ready for the triple bypass surgery later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma