Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 05:56 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

Sad little story about the community factions made the front page of the New York Times.

I would have thought this would be easier to iron out in smaller towns than in major cities.

First they fought over masks, then over soul of city
The meeting was unlike any he had ever attended. One woman cried and said wearing a mask made her feel like she did when she was raped at 17. Another read the Lord’s Prayer and said the word “agenda” at the top of the meeting schedule seemed suspicious.
https://patabook.com/news/2021/12/27...of-the-city-2/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 12:22 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Well, if some people think one of the most precious freedom and liberties there can be is the right to increase their chances to come down sick with COVID-19 by not having to wear a mask anywhere, then let them. I don't care as long as I have the right to counter them by wearing a mask. Some of them don't even think masks work, not even N95 ones!

Waddell, as a city councilor was ostracized as mentioned in the article. He was apparently black, so they didn't help him. I've voted for a black before for city councilor but he lost. I admired him for caring enough to help run a public meeting held to address concerns over the local library cuts in funding. I asked a friend why did he lose? She replied, "Because, he is black!"

The more you research online the more crazier to the extremes you'll find the UNTRUTHS! Many far right wing websites relay crap links. They are little different from the Onion. It's quite a mighty shame how many people are gullible enough to fall hook, line and sinker for stuff just because it said so on the Internet. It surely reflects too many people in the past never learned that just because it says so on the front page of the newspaper doesn't automatically mean it's fully true!

Enid people should have been more worked up over supporting their big local AMC theater, because it recently closed. I also wonder if Enid does much to support its big downtown Community and Event Center, which is worlds bigger and better, compared to what little Stilwater has to offer.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 12-30-2021 at 12:42 AM..

Old 12-30-2021, 12:19 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, if some people think one of the most precious freedom and liberties there can be is the right to increase their chances to come down sick with COVID-19 by not having to wear a mask anywhere, then let them. I don't care as long as I have the right to counter them by wearing a mask. Some of them don't even think masks work, not even N95 ones!

Waddell, as a city councilor was ostracized as mentioned in the article. He was apparently black, so they didn't help him. I've voted for a black before for city councilor but he lost. I admired him for caring enough to help run a public meeting held to address concerns over the local library cuts in funding. I asked a friend why did he lose? She replied, "Because, he is black!"

The more you research online the more crazier to the extremes you'll find the UNTRUTHS! Many far right wing websites relay crap links. They are little different from the Onion. It's quite a mighty shame how many people are gullible enough to fall hook, line and sinker for stuff just because it said so on the Internet. It surely reflects too many people in the past never learned that just because it says so on the front page of the newspaper doesn't automatically mean it's fully true!

Enid people should have been more worked up over supporting their big local AMC theater, because it recently closed. I also wonder if Enid does much to support its big downtown Community and Event Center, which is worlds bigger and better, compared to what little Stilwater has to offer.
Garfield Co (Enid) has always been a Republican stronghold since it was settled by Kansas farmers. A long time ago the county did have some yellow dog Democrat white people who were holdovers from FDR. Those people are all dead and their offspring and their offspring are now Republicans. So they are no different that Republicans elsewhere in the state of Oklahoma and in the plains area. Anti mask and anti vax.

I don't know why the author picked Enid out of the plethora of communities in the plains states that are just like it. Maybe because the councilman was Black?

Old 12-30-2021, 03:50 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Another "black" thread. Mask or vax - greasy wheel just try not to catch it as it does not care what color you are.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:39 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Okay...except for the fact that sick peole are not only likelier to spread it, but they potentially unnecessarly use resources - like hospital beds - and take that away from others. That was supposely one reason for the additional rise in death rates.

I thought it was interesting that the article didn't mention until further in that Waddell was black, and I immeidately thought that might have been a factor, too.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:47 PM

57 posts, read 57,787 times
The more things change the more they stay the same. Back in 1980 when Falwell's Moral Majority was new to the political scene, a writer said that what struck him most about that group was that they seemed scared: scared of how they thought America was changing. And here 40 years later, this article says, "In the end, both sides could agree on one thing: The fight was not really over masks. Waddell thought it had to do with fear." I.e., of America changing into something different and "threatening" as the article says. By and large, politicians on the right are fearmongering to get votes from the same segment of America who followed people like Falwell and Phyllis Schlafly.

Also, the article is right that the politicians whom the red shirts follow are contemptuous of them. Bush Jr. was caught in a "hot mike" moment (didn't know it was on) laughing about how easy it was to manipulate right-wing evangelicals to get their votes. Trump's opinion of evangelical Christianity is, among other unflattering things, "I can't believe people believe that bull*t."

Old 01-02-2022, 02:20 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Okay...except for the fact that sick peole are not only likelier to spread it, but they potentially unnecessarly use resources - like hospital beds - and take that away from others. That was supposely one reason for the additional rise in death rates.

I thought it was interesting that the article didn't mention until further in that Waddell was black, and I immeidately thought that might have been a factor, too.
Just another Cida found something in the news post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma