Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2023, 01:39 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times

Advertisements

I've been driving in OK for nearly a year now, and I'm still not sure what to do when I'm at an intersection with a flashing yellow arrow in the left-hand turn lane. I'm clear that it means to yield, but...

Do I pull straight forward into the intersection and then complete my left turn when it's safe? --OR-- Do I wait behind the limit line until it's safe to make the turn?

I've seen other drivers handle it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 02:33 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I've been driving in OK for nearly a year now, and I'm still not sure what to do when I'm at an intersection with a flashing yellow arrow in the left-hand turn lane. I'm clear that it means to yield, but...

Do I pull straight forward into the intersection and then complete my left turn when it's safe? --OR-- Do I wait behind the limit line until it's safe to make the turn?

This varies state to state. Most states define a law that makes it illegal to stop in the middle of an intersection regardless of your intent. Some states however have subsections that make an exception of which allows you to do so to avoid conflicting with other traffic. In this case, the conflicting traffic is oncoming traffic that you're prepared to turn against, making it legal to sit in the middle of the intersection to avoid impeding them. I personally got pulled over for pulling out into the center of the intersection to make a left turn way out in Georgia.

The flashing amber left turn arrow neither permits or denies you to access the intersection. It only implies to yield to the right of way but you are OKAY to complete your turn when it is safe to do so.

In short, you need to confirm if it is okay to pull out into the middle of the intersection to make a left turn in Oklahoma regardless of what kind of stop light. That will determine what is acceptable in this case, not the stop light.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:02 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post

Technically, you should wait behind the limit line until safe to make your turn. (I lived in Oklahoma from the time I was 5 years old until I was 55).
But you could stick your nose out hoping for a break in traffic. The worst that could happen is an 18 wheeler might broadside you.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:28 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Legalities aside, sometimes it can depend on how the light cycles. If you have a flashing yellow that then turns to a green arrow, I feel more comfortable pulling into the intersection during the flashing portion, because I know I’ll eventually be able to safely complete the turn. If it goes from flashing yellow to red, that’s when you can get stuck in the middle of the intersection or make an ill-advised, hurry up turn.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:39 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
I usually pull out into the intersection if I see a break in the traffic up ahead, where I will have time to make the turn if I am in the intersection, but maybe not if I am behind the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma