Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2023, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,295 times

Advertisements

Considering a job offer to move to Altus for a substantial pay raise, not affiliated with the air force. On the map it looks like a small town with a Walmart, fast food, and nothing else. But what is life there really like? Schools, weather, tornadoes/hail, power outages, safety, nosey neighbors - anything you can tell me about this little town (good or bad) would be helpful. Married in mid 30s, one young child, and kind of a homebody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 12:17 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Think a really small version of Wichita Falls with large granite hills in the background. Hot and windy with a long summer. Dust can get up on occasion when the cotton fields are plowed.

I have had temporary jobs in Altus on occasion where I've spent time living in the motel there.

Food wise, there are several local places that aren't bad. For a small town I'd say Altus has more options than a lot of places due to the base. None are fancy though. LOL. The Whataburger there is one of the better ones I've been to as far as consistency. They have a fish place, a couple of Italian places that are good. Three or four good Mexican places. Several good home style cafes.

There are some decent neighborhoods there for middle/upper middle class housing on the north side of town. Lots of air force people in those homes. Altus does not have any nice "older" neighborhoods except for a couple of blocks just west of the High School. And most of the older housing stock is really pretty crummy. There is one decent neighborhood on the southeast side of town made up of '60s style housing, and another one nicknamed "Birdland" on the NW side of town.

For a kid, I think the public schools there are decent but not great. Not familiar with the private schools. There is a country school called Navajo outside of town I hear good things about, and Blair is a "suburb" of Altus if you want a small school and to still basically "live" in Altus. (Blair has an excellent steakhouse and Italian place). Growing Junior College on north end of town with High School style campus.

Little kids would enjoy Quartz Mountain and Lugert Lake. They have a little kid's amusement park and and the state has a big artist/theater place on the lake where they have some stuff. Not far from the Wichita Mountains Refuge. There is also a decent sized little reservoir right smack in the middle of town called Falcon Lake that make Altus unique.

Tornados and hail and stuff are not significantly different than anywhere else in the area. Just windier, dustier and a bit hotter than Ft. Worth.

I like Altus ok. Kind of isolated. Kind of ugly except for the Mountains. Not much going on. But kind of a comfortable place with a reasonably steady economy due to the AFB.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
EddieG hit all the finer points. Altus is a semi-dusty near-deserty kinda town. If you like the rugged landscape then Altus is your place. It's the closest thing we have to Hollywood's depiction of what Oklahoma is like with the occasional tumbleweed and baked Red Dirt. (Most of the rest of the state is woody/foresty Crosstimbers and a good portion High Plains in the northwest and far north of the state.

The park in the middle of town is nice. We've been there many times. The downtown area is a bit quaint.

Just a hop, skip, and a jump to the Quartz Mountain (used loosely) area.

If you like the city this ain't gonna fit the bill, but you can drive to OK City or Dallas fairly easy.

Welcome to The Great STATE of Oklahoma!

Old 09-29-2023, 05:20 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
It is small town USA. Nothing wrong with that. For shopping there is always Amazon or a day trip to OKC. Hot, dusty, dry. Justin TX comes to mind. Not a bad place but quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma