Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,518 times

Advertisements

Hi All~
We currently live in El Paso, TX (but don't like the huge city thing). My husband's company is transferring his job to Lawton, OK, at some point this year (we don't have a move date yet). We aren't too excited about actually living IN Lawton (visited there once and, well, weren't too drawn to it). My husband is willing to commute up to 40 minutes one way....

I have an online acquaintance who used to live in Duncan and she recommended it, but we were hoping to live a little closer to OKC (have friends who live in Norman/Moore area). I've been looking at maps and real estate and am a little overwhelmed. Any suggestions???

(Oh, also, I have no idea if this would make a difference or not, but my husband is Mex/Am. and my kids are all half (I'm anglo). It makes a difference Here, in the El Paso area, that's why I'm bringing it up~ hope this offended no one.)

TIA~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Oh, I forgot to put some more details on us: We have 7 kids moving with us (20 yrs old down to 21 months), we would like to have at least 1 acre of land, and DH wants a basement . We'd like to live near a smaller town, but not feel isolated. I don't know enough about OK to know what to ask for other than that....

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,003,601 times
I don't think anyone will mind that you are anglo, as long as you don't carry on about it.

Near OKC, I would look to Piedmont, maybe Shawnee. Both are close to Moore and are (or can be) more rural environments than either OKC, Moore, or Norman.

If you insist on a basement, you might have to have a house built for you.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 AM

27,375 posts, read 27,423,838 times
Ive been to those areas and have friends near OKC. Ive been to Lawton a few times and my friends are right, its not an impressive city. Its not as much of a commute if you lived in or near Chickasha (just north of Lawton) or Duncan, a little bit east. Id check into weather conditions in the wintertime though, as you may endure snow and it might affect your commute.
Either way, I enjoyed the many parts of OK Ive been to, its so laid back, down-home and the people are downright pleasant folks (even toward someone like me who has a bit of an east coast accent).

Old 02-14-2010, 08:16 AM

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma