Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,297 times

Advertisements

If Omaha Public Library officials have their way, some major changes are coming to the city's library system.

Among the ideas proposed in a library planning report:

Omaha's flagship library would leave its downtown location and move closer to the middle of the city, into a new building at or near Crossroads Mall at 72nd and Dodge Streets.

The Swanson Library at 90th Street and West Dodge Road would be closed, replaced by the new Crossroads-area main library.

The current downtown site could be sold to a developer for a high-rise building.

A smaller branch would be built elsewhere in downtown Omaha, probably near Joslyn Art Museum.

Ÿ Two new suburban libraries would be added: one near the Village Pointe shopping center near 168th Street and West Dodge Road, the other near 180th and Q Streets.

more... Omaha libraries at a crossroads - Omaha.com

side note: if the main library moves to 72nd and dodge, likely it would be put in the old Dillards building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:34 AM

306 posts, read 714,263 times
There's some anchor space down on Saddle Creek that needs a tenant. I'm surprised they aren't considering that location .

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
There's some anchor space down on Saddle Creek that needs a tenant. I'm surprised they aren't considering that location .

they might move the one at 48th and cass at the community center in dundee to the old target building

if they had one there in that area.

btw, have been to the 90th and dodge library and the one at 48th and cass.

they are the 2 libraries I try to avoid.

snooty staff at 90th and dodge (well, it is a little north of the westside high area)

and 48th and cass is the smallest library in omaha

the one at 90th and fort and the one in benson and the one near 132nd and center are great.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:29 PM

53 posts, read 235,144 times
I think this would be a good idea, but the cost would have to be enormous. I know this wouldn't happen for years, but this city is likely going to have fiscal problems for a while and I doubt voters would approve of this. Then again private donations saved the libraries from cuts last year. If they could raise much of the money from donors it would be a lot more probable that this could happen. It also just seems right to have the anchor library downtown, however I don't go there often so I am not sure if it is utilized as much the main library should be.

I actually like the 90th and Dodge location. I used to live close to there and they offered a lot of activities that my kids often enjoyed.

I will have to agree with you on the 132nd and Center location. That is the library I regularly visit and I do think the staff is great there.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,368 times
First I have heard of this, and I work at the downtown branch!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,944 times
That's a goofy idea. The mall is wayyy more space then they need, the layout isn't library like at all. I'm not sure how well that would work.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
That's a goofy idea. The mall is wayyy more space then they need, the layout isn't library like at all. I'm not sure how well that would work.
what about the dillards building?

it could work there

Old 09-22-2010, 04:05 PM

306 posts, read 714,263 times
The only problem I see with closing the downtown location is that the area hobos will lose a warm place to go in the winter and clean restrooms.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
No go. The flagship library absolutely needs to stay in downtown.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
No go. The flagship library absolutely needs to stay in downtown.
Why? A lot of people don't want to go downtown to go there. It's a hassle. It would be nice to have a more centralized location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: