Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times

Advertisements

great idea. considering omaha central's trauncy problems. maybe they should implement this there to (both central and benson have trauncy problems)

I btw am a proud Omaha north grad

A Cash Incentive Boosts Attendance at Benson - Action 3 News - Omaha, Nebraska News, Weather, and Sports | (http://www.kmtv.com/story/14688512/a-cash-incentive-boosts-attendance-at-benson - broken link)

quote:

Omaha, NE- The last day of class for Benson High School students. The mood is light and for 142 students their wallets are a bit heavier, because it's pay day.

Students like Nick Ramm who have had perfect attendance all year get a cash bonus.

"I could take two weeks off of work or go on a bunch of free dates, or something like that," says Ramm.

Benson staff partnered with Building Bright Futures to find ways to get kids to come to class everyday.

Building Bright Futures is a non-profit working on improving student achievement in Douglas and Sarpy counties.

Out of the partnership, Benson staff created a mentoring program, a poster campaign, visual reminders and incentives. Incentives like free T-shirts and gift cards throughout the year and a cash payoff at the end of the year up to $450.

If students had perfect attendance after the first semester they received $100. The same for second semester. Students who had perfect attendance all year long got a bonus of $250

A Cash Incentive Boosts Attendance at Benson - Action 3 News - Omaha, Nebraska News, Weather, and Sports | (http://www.kmtv.com/story/14688512/a-cash-incentive-boosts-attendance-at-benson - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
I didn't miss a day in my high school career, I should of gone to Benson. I actually don't think this is a great idea. It seems to me like they didn't make a real effort to connect with students that regularly miss class and help them. It seems to me like they just gave up actually trying to help the kids and just say show up every day and you get money!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I didn't miss a day in my high school career, I should of gone to Benson. I actually don't think this is a great idea. It seems to me like they didn't make a real effort to connect with students that regularly miss class and help them. It seems to me like they just gave up actually trying to help the kids and just say show up every day and you get money!

I believe u have a point. but considering the staff and the ops board

have let the trauncy problems at omaha central and omaha benson and other schools get to the point it is at now, I cant blame benson for doing something like this.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:39 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
And I don't know really anything about the situation. Maybe they did do everything possible and it still didn't work. It is great that 142 attended every day compared to I think 14 last year it obviously worked to get them there, but do they have to do this forever now? When they stop do students not see a point to go since they aren't getting money? Do the students have the same motivation during college to go to classes if there is no money at the end? It does get kids in class now, but I just wonder what it is fostering in kids. To me a free education would be enough, but that is probably because college isn't free!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 AM

76 posts, read 142,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
And I don't know really anything about the situation. Maybe they did do everything possible and it still didn't work. It is great that 142 attended every day compared to I think 14 last year it obviously worked to get them there, but do they have to do this forever now? When they stop do students not see a point to go since they aren't getting money? Do the students have the same motivation during college to go to classes if there is no money at the end? It does get kids in class now, but I just wonder what it is fostering in kids. To me a free education would be enough, but that is probably because college isn't free!
Important questions right there. I'm glad the kids have increased their attendance, but I question the method. One more thing that makes kids/people feel like they are entitled. They should be going to school because it's good for them....not because it's a payday.

Sometimes in life you have to do things you don't want to without immediate results. Sometimes you have to bust your butt with little to no initial benefit. This seems to send a different message.

The sooner kids these days realize life isn't always going to coddle them and give them everything they want the better.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,720 times
I don't see how this is a bad thing. It's not like I would go to work if I didn't get paid. A little incentive never hurt anyone.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
I don't see how this is a bad thing. It's not like I would go to work if I didn't get paid. A little incentive never hurt anyone.
I think the difference may be that school is a law, whereas going to work isn't a legal obligation. I'm all for incentives, but what's next on this slippery slope? Perhaps I should get paid for not robbing a convenience store this year. A better incentive might be to show the kids the money they will make in their life WITH a high school diploma versus without.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM

76 posts, read 142,469 times
Quote:
I don't see how this is a bad thing. It's not like I would go to work if I didn't get paid.
Uh, they don't pay you at work to just show up. You have to perform your assigned duties, and perform them well enough to keep your job. I'm pretty sure that if you just showed up at work and did nothing the entire time they wouldn't be paying you any longer.

Quote:
A little incentive never hurt anyone.
I beg to differ. This society, kids especially, have this overwhelming sense of entitlement these days. A "what's in it for me" attitude instead of a "it's good for me" attitude. The "it's someone else's fault" attitude instead of just taking the responsibility of sacking up and making it to class. You're going to get to the point where kids are showing up just to "earn a paycheck." Do we still pay kids that show up but don't bother to put in any effort in the day? Do we then have to start paying them to actually try? Pay them to finish and submit homework? Where does it end?

Not going to school and getting an education means you (likely) won't get a good job, won't make good money, won't get all the neat toys you wanna buy, and generally have a less than content life. That should be motivation enough.

Who needs pride in ones' self when society continues to just hand out free passes to every lazy, self-absorbed, entitled, crybaby who just doesn't feel like doing whatever the rest of us had to bust our butts to get.

Last edited by Michael Weston; 05-25-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times
I went to school every day and didn't get payed for it, as probably all of us here have. It's wrong to me that they have to pay the kids to go to school. Who knows what the students are thinking, but I bet there's no other good way to get them to go to school. I don't believe money is the measure of happiness, so if they're content working for $10/hr all their life, then that's fine.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:51 PM

28 posts, read 58,021 times
I went to Benson- I want to collect my $1000 as I never missed a day of school back then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: