Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,546,389 times

Advertisements

Walmart plans grocery-only store
By Cindy Gonzalez
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
« Metro/RegionShare Advertisement
Walmart plans to build a stand-alone grocery store in northwest Omaha — the company's first such store in Nebraska.

The 34,000-square-foot neighborhood market will be in the 90th and Lake Streets area, said Ryan Irsik, a company spokesman. That's about one-sixth the size of the Walmart Supercenter at 168th Street and West Maple Road.

"It is basically a small little Walmart market," Irsik said.

Omaha Planning Director Rick Cunningham said he understands that the Arkansas-based Walmart plans other grocery stores in the city, although Irsik declined to confirm that.

Walmart last week opened the first of five market stores opening by Nov. 2 in Wichita, Kan. It was the retail giant's first venture into that city with the smaller market stores, though it has been building them since 1998.

Last year, Walmart said it planned to build a variety of different store formats in addition to its supercenters, including medium-format stores of 30,000 to 60,000 square feet, and urban, convenience-type stores known as Walmart Express.

The "three-format portfolio will drive expansion to urban markets and small towns, as well as fill in gaps in existing markets," Bill Simon, president of Walmart's U.S. division, said in a report on the company capital expenditure plans.

Earlier this year, the nation's largest grocer said it would reformulate thousands of products to make them healthier and push its suppliers to do the same, joining first lady Michelle Obama's effort to combat childhood obesity.

In addition, Walmart executives said it would build up to 300 stores by 2016 in so-called food deserts — pockets where fresh meat and vegetables are hard to get. The U.S. Department of Agriculture defines a food desert as a low-income neighborhood where the nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In a rural area, it's 10 miles.

The 90th and Lake Streets area is not considered a food desert because it has other grocery stores, including a No Frills Supermarket at 8005 Blondo St.

But Cunningham said he sees Walmart's decision to bring the stand-alone market to Omaha as the company is making a push to serve food deserts as a hopeful sign that it will expand into eastern Omaha. He said he welcomed other grocery chains in low-income neighborhoods, too.

more... Walmart plans grocery-only store - Omaha.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM

btw: what was the name of the grocery store there

back in the late 80's and 90's cause i remember a grocery store there back in the day at 90th and lake

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

back in the late 80's and 90's cause i remember a grocery store there back in the day at 90th and lake
Is that by the old Bakers?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 AM

624 posts, read 1,309,867 times
Do they have to tear down the Hobby Lobby for this, I wonder? Or is it supposed to be on the West side between NAPA and Fantasy's?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM

817 posts, read 1,770,131 times
Lets hope they move near or into downtown next. We desperately need a true grocery store in the area (and sorry Patrick's market is NOT a grocery store, it's a large convenience store). Outside of avanza there is nothing even close to the downtown area.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Lets hope they move near or into downtown next. We desperately need a true grocery store in the area (and sorry Patrick's market is NOT a grocery store, it's a large convenience store). Outside of avanza there is nothing even close to the downtown area.
Yeah, that'd be cool to have maybe a three or four story building with the Walmart on the bottom and appartments or condos on top. Somewhere along the future downtown streetcar loop would be great.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Do they have to tear down the Hobby Lobby for this, I wonder? Or is it supposed to be on the West side between NAPA and Fantasy's?

it will be on east side where hobby lobby is.

harsh, I agree. patrick's is small and like louis market in benson (way over-priced).

I like avanza on leavenworth when I am downtown.

I second busguy's idea: maybe a three or four story building with the Walmart on the bottom and appartments or condos on top. Somewhere along the future downtown streetcar loop would be great.

I btw wish benson area had maybe a three or four story building with a store on the bottom and appartments or condos on top.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 PM

8 posts, read 15,822 times
They need a new one in West Omaha

Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
They had these Walmart grocery stores only in Indianapolis,IN when I lived there 4 yrs ago. They were nice in areas that did not have much groceries in area but not big enough for large store.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:09 PM

181 posts, read 358,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

Food City I believe, same place that was where Nobbies is now.

BTW, any word on when the WM Market on 131st & Birch (Maple) is set to open? There is some heavy demolition at the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: